Spider-Man 3

→ in
Tools    

Sorry. It's just that it was such a mess, that adding Nazi Germany to the narrative couldn't have made it any worse than it already was. I think it had something to do with his own bomb or something. I'm not sure, though.

It's hard to deliver a stellar trilogy. Go back 20 years and review all the trilogies you've seen. Sure, maybe number 1 and 3 were good, but the middle film lost the ball. Or maybe it started off rocky, but 2 and 3 more than made up for it. Well, the worst is when you start out with two incredible films, then release an onion for the third. Spider-Man 3 is perhaps the worst movie I've ever seen and probably the biggest let down. There was absolutely no reason for this movie to be a stinker. All you have to do is continue to do what you've done TWO times already. Well, let me stop crying and give you the facts...

INTRO: One of this film's biggest problems is that it's so BORING. The majority of the introduction and rising action is merely exposition and explanation. We already know these characters and their relationships, I don't why the writers find it necessary to show this for so long. The first half hour is just a chore to sit through, with a series of rushed and contrived events attempting to set up the infinite amount of story-lines. Scene after scene is a circus act of jumping back and forth between new and old characters. One minute we're watching a love story, the next we're introduced to a strange family, then we skip to a scene of Harry juicing himself, and then they throw in ANOTHER happen-stance villain plot just for good measure. ENOUGH is ENOUGH...

PLOT/PACING: Its odd that as LONG as it was, it also felt too fast. Too many things happening and not enough movie or patience to give any of them justice. Venom and Harry felt extremely rushed, and Sandman's story was a grainy blur. The only thing they slowed down to show was Mj's whining and Peter acting like a jerk whenever possible as often as possible. This is sad seeing that it actually had a lot of potential. This chapter in this character's story is when he has to deal with and face his own imperfections and evils. Once Peter finally conquers himself, this enemy then materializes into an actual foe (Eddie Brock). But coupled with perhaps the worst casting ever (Eric Foreman), and a side-story so devoid of any emotion or sympathy, this plot line falls flat on Sam Raimi's face.

ACTION: Spider-Man has a fight with each of his enemies, and then they all have one big blasé fight in the end. I will say, there is ONE scene that actually feels like genuine Spider-Man action. It's obviously early in the film (before the symbiote turns Peter into an idiot), when Spider-Man saves Gwen Stacey. The original Spider-Man score plays triumphantly in the background as the audience watches some great super hero stunts and acrobatics. Too Bad this is the last awesome thing this character does...

CHARACTERS: There are THREE villains in this film - all of them rushed and underdeveloped. It felt like something out of the twilight zone where at the end all the different character plots turn out being part of the same story. Apart from this, Peter and MJ's love story is just rife with holes. You're meant to emotionally relate to these people, but their actions only achieve proving that they really aren't deserving of each other. Peter can't stop dancing around like a fool and being a jerk to save his life (literally) and MJ ends up cheating on him (with supposedly the guy's BEST FRIEND). What are these writers trying to do? These characters wouldn't do that! The Peter and MJ of the first films truly loved each other. She finally confesses her love and Peter actually sacrifices his own feelings in order to protect her after Spider-Man 1. The only thing he sacrifices here is screen time with the rest of the Marvel universe. I'm surprised Daredevil and Wolverine didn't show up...

CONCLUSION: Harry's butler waits till the very END of the movie to tell Harry that his father actually killed himself. You mean, you knew this the WHOLE time and you wait till NOW to say something!? What happened, were you too busy cleaning in Spider-Man 1? Ok, well what about number 2, did you go on vacation!? Give me a break, what a convenient plot twist the writers threw in just to get their fireworks at the end. Anyway, after having the last 4 years of his life revealed to be a misunderstanding, Harry rushes out to help Peter fight the Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Many thought this to be the film's saving grace with special effects and action to make up for the slow progression. This was actually when I was the angriest. I knew this to be the last confrontation of the movie, and they hadn't shown me anything good. Harry ends up getting mortally wounded and assures Peter they were always best friends. Yeah, how could he forget that with you trying to KILL him earlier AND kissing his girlfriend. The paper thin Sandman plot is finally wrapped up and he just floats off into the wind. Lastly, we cut away to a scene of Peter and MJ slow dancing, because we really know how much these two love each other...

SYNOPSIS: Intended to be Spider-Man's greatest adventure, Sam Raimi manages to undermine Spidey's greatest villains with poor casting and bad writing. Too many story-lines and slow exposition ruin this film, causing it to fall short of both of its predecessors. I give Spider-Man 3 a POOR rating.

I went to the midnight sneak-peek Imax showing of this that Thursday night. The movie was so long, we didn't get out till nearly 3, and I had school the next morning at 7. Suffice it to say, I was MAD...

The Movie is awesome........Spider-Man 3 does reasonably well at maintaining a feeling similar to that of the first two films............ I never felt like I wasn't seeing the same world or characters and that's important to all..........

Registered Creature
Loved it. Tobey Maguire is my ideal Peter Parker.

I must say though, my favourite out of the trilogy is definitely the first. I was so psyched when it first came out when I was... in the second grade. I've watched it to death, but I still love it the most out of the three Spidey films.

The Movie is awesome...I like this movie and this Movie is standing in mine top 10 movie list.......

Spiderman 3 was ok but not as good as 2. Spiderman 3 for the action sequences and visual effects.

YIKES! I liked the first two, but this one sucked. Just letting you know what kind of review I'm writing.

I agree...totally sucked. What the heck was that movie about?

It had Peter Parker dancing around like Jim Carrey in the mask. And what about how Venom crashed to earth? He fell onto a scooter? When I first saw that scene, I thought I accidentally turned on some parody.

In the real Spiderman, Venom had an awesome origin story...

it was out standing theme song is well made