Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled (2017)

Tools    

The trailer is out:

It's a remake of the 1971 film directed by Don Siegel and starring Clint Eastwood.

What did people think of the original movie? Any Sofia Coppola fans here?

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
I've never given The Beguiled (1971) a chance. Always thought it looked really boring. Now, I think I would actually watch it.

I liked The Virgin Suicides (1999). Haven't seen any of her other films.

I'm not a fan of Colin Farrell, so, the remake does not interest me for two reasons (remake, Farrell).

This might just do nobody any good.
The original is kind of psychotic. In a good way.

I'm interested in seeing what Coppola does with this. If it's just Kidman ice-queen-ing Southern Gothic style it might be enough for me.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The original is perfect. The trailer for the new one looks almost exactly the same except for the cast. I guess it's being remade for a new generation. I'll reserve judgment on it, but if it's as good as the original, it would be one of the best movies ever made. Hmm.

I love the original. If Coppola wanted to make some sort of southern gothic movie, she surely could have picked another book as the source material without having to remake a movie that she had no chance of improving upon.

This might just do nobody any good.
Well this version is clearly focused on the women. I think Coppola is good enough to make that change alone an interesting enough new take.

It's Sofia Coppola, thus I'll be there opening day.

Assassination Nation- (3/4)
Mandy- (3.5/4)