MOFO Movie Tournament: Bracket 3

Tools    

Shawshank Redemption 5
The Good The Bad and The Ugly 10
Fix this!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
That is quite sad, really. I mean, I do believe that The Good The Bad and The Ugly is a fantastic film in its own right, but Shawshank Redemption is on a whole new level. A true shame really, but what did I expect when it was one of the movies I was hoping would do very well.

That is quite sad, really. I mean, I do believe that The Good The Bad and The Ugly is a fantastic film in its own right, but Shawshank Redemption is on a whole new level. A true shame really, but what did I expect when it was one of the movies I was hoping would do very well.
That's great, raul. But I was talking about how you have Shawshank in bold even though it's not winning - like I already mentioned in a post comment. You're feel really bummed about that one, eh? Heh.

I'm not sure on what type of level you could say Oz isn't better than The Long Good Friday.
I'd have thought on most levels. Gangster films are better than kids films, it has a better soundtrack, better acting, a great ending and it's actually enjoyable rather than boring. There isn't any stupid Lion or Scarecrow, (good grief) it's just better.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Gangster films are better than kids films
what kind of weird reasoning is that? i'm not saying the opposite is true or anything, i just find categorizing films into ranks a bit strange.

1. Singin' in the Rain vs. 16. Alien (need to watch Singin' again)
8. Good Burger vs. 9. The Kid
5. The Long Good Friday vs. 12. The Wizard of Oz
4. Citizen Kane vs. 13. La Grande Illusion
6. City of God vs. 11. Les Diabolique
3. Bicycle Thieves vs. 14. Rear Window
7. Sunset Boulevard vs. 10. The Grapes of Wrath
2. The Shawshank Redemption vs. 15. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I honestly wasn't impressed by the Long Good Friday's soundtrack, I actually found some of the score quite annoying, but to each his own.

When someone asks you if you're a God, you say YES!!
1. Singin' in the Rain vs. 16. Alien
6. City of God vs. 11. Les Diabolique

Wow, lot of tough choices here and great movies that get pushed aside by slightly greater movies. Hardest choice for me here was Bicyle Thieves vs. Rear Window. It was hard to knock aside The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly as well, but Shawshank bests nearly everything in my book. Well done.

I can think of plenty of "kids" films I like better than a lot of gangster movies.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

1. Singin' in the Rain vs. 16. Alien
5. The Long Good Friday vs. 12. The Wizard of Oz
4. Citizen Kane vs. 13. La Grande Illusion
6. City of God vs. 11. Les Diaboliques
7. Sunset Boulevard vs. 10. The Grapes of Wrath

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.

One of these movies had me struggling to suppress laughter, the other had me struggling to suppress vomiting.

8 Good Burger vs 9 The Kid

Goodbye credibility.

Now I'm off to check off the winner in the Sight & Sound Director`s Poll list.

Singin' in the Rain vs. Alien
Citizen Kane vs. La Grande Illusion
Bicycle Thieves vs. Rear Window
Sunset Boulevard vs. The Grapes of Wrath
The Shawshank Redemption vs. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I don't see how anyone can ignore the singularity of Singin' in the Rain's musical sequences. Of all the musicals from that era I've had the privilege to experience, Singin' in the Rain is of the best, if not the best, I have ever seen. The sustained unfolding of the finale is simply breathtaking. For me, horror ages badly especially when it ends up setting endlessly duplicated tropes that render all surprise and fear meaningless. As hard as I try, I cannot feign an affect so integral to the film's initial impact and so expressive of its artistic craftsmanship.

Again, I find myself siding with Bicycle Thieves and The Grapes of Wrath over their legendary opponents out of politics alone. When confronted with two great films, I often let politics decide. Both films of my choice held a lot of pathos for me in what I saw as their economic critique of capitalism. The Grapes of Wrath also has a wonderful utopian element which was preserved from the book. I also like how the film interacts with genre, coming off as a kind of post-apocalyptic tale. In my mind, it is exactly that.

I like the reasoning behind TGOW over SB. It was a tough choice for me too but when I thought about it, The Grapes of Wrath I felt just held a stronger connection to society as a whole. Now granted not everyone has to vote for that reason, but that's how it got my vote.

Right on. Then again you could say Sunset Boulevard expresses a universality in the way it looks at self-image and fantasy, but I really doubt self-image was something that troubled the Joads as they were making their way across the country looking for work. The Grapes of Wrath is also a very liberal film, which might not gel well with everyone depending on your persuasion. It might even come off as dishonest or manipulative.

I have no problems with The Grapes of Wrath and think it's a worthy competitor to Sunset Blvd. I love the perversity of SB and it has a really great and highly original story and narrative style too much to pick Wrath, though, and I think what you said about All About Eve completely applies to Sunset Blvd (which came out the same year) as well.