Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films

→ in
Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.
I like Django, but Tarantino needs someone to tell him when enough is enough though. The final act really drags the film down.

Great write up on Django Unchained, and I agree with you that's it's a great film. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is ok, but like most Altman it drags on to much.

54. All That Jazz (1979)

All That Jazz is one of the wildest and most provocative character studies I've ever seen. It's inspired by Fellini's 8 1/2 in the sense that it's mainly about a director/choreographer, his inner psychological troubles and his observations of life and existence in general.

Joe Gideon (played by Roy Scheider), our main character, is a chain smoking film director/choreographer who is addicted to drugs and sex and who's obsessed with death. The film projects his ideas and creativity on the screen making use of a bunch of fantastic and highly original musical numbers and a few surreal dream sequences containing his muse, Angelique (played by Jessica Lange).
Joe's wild lifestyle starts to keep up with him, though, and slowly he feels his health deteriorating. He feels life slipping away. He observes his past and his present situation, while starting to grasp the concept of mortality, but he is not able to change who he is or what his extreme way of living has made him become.

Despite its heavy themes, the film never goes into overly dramatical territory, though. Everything always has a darkly comic and sensational touch to it, which makes it much more entertaining to watch than pure dramas. We are still emotionally engaged with what's going on however, because of brilliantly focused cynicism and because All That Jazz, despite all the dark implications that are made throughout he movie, does have an effective and affective heart at its core, be it a very rotten and ravaged one. This all makes for a piece of art that's equally entertaining, hilarious and dramatically satisfying, which is very rare.

This wild motion picture deserves to be watched by every cinephile out there who isn't afraid of profound filmmaking. Your imagination will be tickled, your philosophical self will be provoked and you'll be entertained! This film presents show business at its most effective and self aware! What would you want more out of a movie?
Be sure to check this one out for the '70s list if you think it could be something for you!

The very last shot with that ending song is one of my favorite cynical final film moments of all time. DO NOT WATCH this when you haven't seen the whole movie yet!

--------------------------------------

I'm watching All That Jazz this weekend and really looking forward to it. I've seen Star 80 and Cabaret from that director and think his movies have a great style about them.

53. Short Cuts (1993)

This is already the fourth Altman film on my list and the people who know me well enough will realize that this is not the last one yet either. Among the three that already appeared, there are two very clear ensemble pieces, Gosford Park and Nashville. While I obviously love those two films (otherwise they wouldn't have made this list), Short Cuts somehow became my favorite Altman ensemble piece over time. I feel like this is his most accomplished one in that area.
The film features a rich amount of interesting characters, Altman's directing is exceptionally great (there are a couple of really cool jokes, using some well timed cuts) and all the different plotlines are just very enjoyable and interesting to observe.

Another notable thing about this film, is its AMAZING cast. There are way too many great actors in this to sum them all up, but when you give this film's line-up a quick look, you'll definitely see what I mean. They all play a small, but significant piece in Altman's ambitious puzzle of characters that are connected to eachother in one way or another.

The film is set in suburban L.A. As many of you will know already, the suburban way of living is a topic that intrigues me. The people who live there mostly don't have to worry about money or stuff like that anymore, so they are looking for something higher, something that gives their life more meaning. Good films about middle class people (subtly) observe that typical desire for value. This human quest and struggle can be presented in many different ways and this film does a great job at doing that. Because it's a big movie that features so many different characters, Altman has the time and space to deploy a rich palette of different situations and different kinds of "struggles" and that's what makes this film so extremely interesting to watch and rewatch again and again! This film is particularly good because, in my opinion, every single plotline in it works! The difficulty of making this kind of ensemble pieces is to make every plotline equally engaging and intresting and in Short Cuts that is VERY MUCH the case.

The final result of all these quality components is a memorable film that is able to captivate a certain overarching mood, while provoking some valuable insights into the lives of its characters. It's an Altman film, so obviously he presents everything in a deliciously dark comical way, but as usual, he still spends enough time in more dramatic territory when necessary. The film doesn't attempt to make you feel particularly good or bad about what you're seeing, but it does make you feel more aware of things. There's an undeniable melancholic and dark edge to it all in the end, but in stead of shooting with it at the viewer, the film ultimately leaves it hanging somewhere in the air of suburban L.A. Exactly the way I like it best...

Robert Altman truly was one of the best and most pleasantly free-spirited American directors of all time and he proved it again with this 1993 masterpiece.

---------------------------------

I seem to remember struggling with Short Cuts, but I think that was the one and only time I watched it. All That Jazz, on the other hand...

Django Unchained was my second favorite movie of 2012 (behind only The Master). It's a great movie, yet I can't help feeling disappointed by it. I think that's because my expectations were too high. QT is one of my favorite directors, and the western is possibly my favorite genre, so I went into it thinking I was about to watch one of my new favorite movies of all time, and that wasn't the case. As much as I enjoyed it, I also felt that it could've been so much better if QT had trimmed some of the fat.

Short Cuts is a favorite, however, so it's great to see you include it.

Your write-up may have finally convinced me to watch All That Jazz. I'm not generally a fan of musicals, so I wasn't planning on checking it out in preparation for the 70's countdown, but you've piqued my curiosity.

I've watched 4 Altman's recently; I liked Nashville, Mash, and The Long Goodbye, but couldn't get into McCabe and Mrs. Miller. I think I'd like Short Cuts.

52. Barton Fink (1991)

Barton Fink represents the Coen Brothers' cynical and slightly surreal look on Hollywood. The film is both horrific and hilarious and in my opinion it's definitely one of the boldest pictures the Coens have ever done. I'm a big fan of boldness, so it shouldn't be a surprise that this is one of my favorites of theirs.
The Coens wrote this film while suffering writer's block during the writing of Miller's Crossing (which is also one of their very best films, in my opinion) and that's very apparent in this film's plot. They mock their own incapacity to come up with new stuff by writing about that incapacity. The result is a highly original film about a writer who is suddenly unable to perform and who slowly gets drained by the cruel reality that is Hollywood.

After Barton Fink's first New York play on Broadway is a succes, he is contacted by Universal Pictures. They get him a lugubrious hotel chamber where he has to write a screenplay for a film about wrestling. Fink doesn't seem to find the inspiration to get past the first few lines though, and because of his environment he is constantly distracted. While trying to find a solution for his problem, he gets to know the insurance guy who lives next to him in the hotel, he meets up with a famous Hollywood playwright who is constantly drunk and agressive and he gets involved with the writer's personal assistant.
At a certain moment the plot starts taking a few very strange twists. Everything kind of turns into a creepy, but darkly comical Kafkaesque farce, while still holding a haunting resonance. One could say that unexpected 'evil' suddenly starts taking over.
Personally the third act is my favorite part of the film. I like it when filmmakers just decide to do something different for once. Viewers may leave this movie with more questions than answers after a first watch, but after seeing it a few times, I've come up with some own ideas about what's going on and what it all "means". I personally discovered 'truths' in it about society's look on art and creativity, about human pretentiousness, about the harshness of business and life, about acceptance of fate and about "the life of the mind".

"Are you in pictures?"

The final scene of this film is one of my personal favorite cinematic moments of all time! I think I immediately rewatched it 10 times after I first saw this film. It's mainly a clever joke, but in the film's context it becomes so much more. It becomes both comforting and alarming. I love it! It's an extremely satisfying scene and it's proof of the Coen Brothers' genius. I would definitely rank it amongst my top 3 favorite moments in Coen films.

Don't miss the experience of watching this magnificent Palm D'Or winner!

Another fantastic scene of this film.

-----------------------------------------

Unregistered User
Great review Cob, Barton Fink is easily one of the best of the Coen Brothers.

Geisler: Look, you confused? You need guidance? Talk to another writer.
Barton: Who?
Geisler: Jesus, throw a rock in here, you'll hit one. And do me a favor, Fink: throw it hard.

Legendary.

Awesome. Funnily enough I re watched most of this on Sky Movies yesterday, it was on so I thought I might as well. Great film, the Coen Brothers 90s work is incredible.

Barton Fink is another one on my to see list. I watched All that Jazz yesterday and O Brother, Where Art Thou? last week. I thought they were both good movies, but I couldn't really get into them unfortunately.

Oops, I missed Short Cuts. It's a film I like, probably give it a
now but it's in massive need of a re watch, which unfortunately won't be away due to running time and the fact I am focusing on 70s films and whatever I find on TV. I remember liking it, but I honestly can't remember much about it at all in terms of plot, and didn't fall in love it like you. However, I watched Nasvhille the other week and thought it was incredible, and it had a really powerful effect on me, hence why I feel I need to re watch Short Cuts.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm sure that everyone has noticed that in that scene at the beginning (Cob's first image) with Barton watching his play from the wings, when he's mouthing the on-stage actor's dialogue, the voice of the actor is that of John Turturro.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Honestly Barton Fink might be my favorite Coen Brothers film. I just adore how odd and clever it is. Great pick.

Honestly Barton Fink might be my favorite Coen Brothers film. I just adore how odd and clever it is. Great pick.
It's always very difficult for me to say what my favorite Coen Brothers film is. From most directors, I have a clear favorite, but there are probably 6 or 7 Coen Brothers films that could qualify as my favorite of theirs when I'm in a certain mood. I'll say some more about The Coen Brothers in particular when I've mentioned their last film on this list, but you can already see that I appreciate their work immensely.

It's always very difficult for me to say what my favorite Coen Brothers film is. From most directors, I have a clear favorite, but there are probably 6 or 7 Coen Brothers films that could qualify as my favorite of theirs when I'm in a certain mood. I'll say some more about The Coen Brothers in particular when I've mentioned their last film on this list, but you can already see that I appreciate their work immensely.
Definitely true. Personally, I could choose between Miller's Crossing, Fargo, The Big Lebowski and No Country for Old Men as my favourite depending on mood. But then films like Barton Fink and True Grit are not far behind.