Official Public Negative Reputation Tracker

Tools    

Unleash yourself in THE MIND MAZE.

Free your imagination. Escape your reality. It's the perfect place.

Drift into another world where everything is what you make it. It's magic. It's THE MIND MAZE. The Mind Maze. Where it's all in your imagination.

1-900-933-9283. Adults 18 and over only. $5 per minute.

^ did you make those?

---

there's a lot to say about having a negative option. i do think it's a subtle issue and i need to think a bit about how to argue it, but i've always found it weird to have like on facebook for example, just a like option but never a dislike. It's manipulating you in some way i think. Also this forum is one that encourages debate because the creator and maintainer appreciates and seems to enjoy dialectic. But you can't have the good without the bad, because not everything is good. That's the basis of the thought, but to translate it into practical terms I'd have to think about.

I think it's cool negative rep for whatever reason connects with us in a way that people did feel slightly upset when they were given it. That kind of tactile representation just strikes me as good and honest.

Semper Fooey
Except it often did result in bitter resentment. In practice, people did not generally use it the way you're describing. And I'm not sure what's really "taken care of" in this example, anyway. You avoided having a discussion but still registered your disapproval. Awesome?
Bizarrely, he apparently has recently taken it back and admitted he didn't know what the rules were.

It wasn't worth getting into a discussion about, it was only worthy of pithy disapproval.

^ did you make those?
I found it here: http://raffaroffa.tumblr.com

It is from a phone sex commercial called THE MIND MAZE that I remember seeing all the time late at night when I used to watch Rhonda Shear on USA Up All Night (back in the '90s). It was very hypnotic and memorable. I'm beyond excited to have found this wonderful piece of art that's been made from it, but I wish I could find the actual commercial online. I remember the exact words that the commercial said, though.

Semper Fooey
At five bucks per minute we can no longer afford to hear your opinions.

i was talking about all those weird "negged" gifs D. Riley has been posting.

just another man's solution to this lack that haunts us all.

i mean just look at that post header thing. everything's right next to each other and then the thumb up is like in no-man's-land. there's just this huge space reminding us of what is missing. i get sick just looking a t it

those are neat but are you posting them just to get this thread shut down, because don't do that

Nope.

The people who miss neg rep are a vocal minority. If they want it back, they should articulate some practical benefit that will be derived from it. I don't think anyone has yet, for all their protestations.
I gave you a perfectly good, practical benefit to bringing it back: TO MAKE PEOPLE PAY!

But seriously (even though I was serious above) by that logic there's no real practical benefit of having plus rep either. What good does it do? Nothing. "It makes me feel good about myself." Delusions.

This type of action I could understand coming from a Democrat, but a Republican? Never.

And this "silent majority" well I say cowards, all of them! Negative rep me for that...Oh wait, you can't.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Official Sponsors of the Official Public Negative Reputation Tracker:

Abigail

Hedda

and some woman who died after receiving too many neg reps.

I gave you a perfectly good, practical benefit to bringing it back: TO MAKE PEOPLE PAY!
This sounds facetious. But taking it seriously anyway, there are still only two types of users: first, those who don't take rep too seriously, in which case you're not making them "pay." Second, those who do take it seriously, in which case rep starts fights.

And isn't this having it both ways? You can't make fun of people for taking neg rep too seriously and then use that same fact to argue for keeping it.

But seriously (even though I was serious above) by that logic there's no real practical benefit of having plus rep either. What good does it do? Nothing. "It makes me feel good about myself." Delusions.
Because the things positive and negative rep supplant are not identical. Positive rep replaces "Me too!" or "Totally agree!" posts. Agreement, by its very nature, is more homogeneous than disagreement, and can be replaced with a simple points system which cuts down on needless posts without losing much.

Disagreement, on the other hand, has something to add by its very nature, which means it has to be expressed in words. And differences in taste and opinion are arguably the entire point of a site like this. They're what expand our horizons and refine our tastes. So a system that replaces that process is costing us far more, collectively, than one that replaces simple agreement. Agreement is the end of the process; disagreement is the beginning.

And there's also the simple fact that one makes people happier and one makes people angrier. And what's delusional about being glad that people like what you said, anyway?

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
i was talking about all those weird "negged" gifs D. Riley has been posting.

just another man's solution to this lack that haunts us all.

i mean just look at that post header thing. everything's right next to each other and then the thumb up is like in no-man's-land. there's just this huge space reminding us of what is missing. i get sick just looking a t it

Maybe bring back negs but they cost 25 cents. It's like a swear jar. After a while people will forget it costs money because it'll be linked directly to a credit card or something and you'll be rolling in the washingtons.

this is like a neg rep think tank