The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

In fact, City of Lost Children was very much like a foreign language Terry Gilliam film.
That's a great way to describe it, because it definitely has that sort of vibe to it.

The problem for me is simply that I don't like fantasy movies.
I am the exact opposite. I love fantasy, even the terrible, poorly done films. Light fantasy elements, High Fantasy, and everything in between. It makes me happy just thinking about it.

I loved Sinbad and the Star Wars trilogy when I was little, and even Willow as a teen. I don't know what happened because I love the ideas. I've never seen a Harry Potter movie and only the first Lord of the Rings, which was a struggle to get through. Avatar bored the crap out of me.

I'm not huge on Star Wars. They're fine, but I always liked the Indiana Jones films more, and prefer Trek to Wars anyway. I actually haven't seen Willow. Whenever I say that, people who know me tend to be really surprised at that. The same thing used to happen with The Princess Bride (I always thought the title was dumb and didn't want to watch it), but I've since seen and loved that (and will be going to see it in theatres next week at a fan film festival haha), so maybe I should watch Willow too.

Love Lord of the Rings. One of the first costumes I made was of Aragorn from the end of Fellowship/early Two Towers. I got a real sword for it and everything (#loser haha). I was also bored by Avatar though. I kind of wanted the scientists to win.

Oh me too. I just meant that I always preferred to watch Indiana Jones over Star Wars, period.

Indiana Jones is definitely my favourite Lucas franchise that Harrison Ford is in, by far haha.

I use to love Star Wars and I still do the original trilogy, but I could care less about the others in the series.

Never seen Willow, never seen Harry Potter.

I liked the first Lord of the Rings but the second bored the hell out of me and never watched anymore.

In Avatar, I loved the part about the planets ecology and it's sentient begins. But hated the second part with the space marine jar heads which has been done like a zillion times in the movies. And didn't really care for any of the humans in the story.

I'm not huge on Star Wars. They're fine, but I always liked the Indiana Jones films more, and prefer Trek to Wars anyway...
I'm a huge Trek fan, but not of the JJ Abrams stuff

I didn't mind Star Trek 2009. But Into Darkness was an abomination, and I never liked Zachary Quinto or Zoe Saldana as Spock and Uhura, or what Abrams did to their characters. I did rather like Star Trek Beyond for what it was (and it was much more similar to the original series than the other two films were), but Abrams didn't actually have much to do with that one, so that might be the reason.

I've only seen Star Trek 2009. I liked it as a generic action sci fi film, but not as part of the star trek universe. I wish they could have left well enough alone and made the new star trek movies about another crew other than Kirk, Spock and buddies.

I noticed while trying to narrow down my shortlist for the Sci-Fi Countdown that a lot of my favourites are indeed sci-fi/horror films. My top sci-fi and top horror films lists would definitely have a lot of overlap haha.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Great aestethic, beautifully shot, great vistas etc etc. What all of you have said allready, I agree. No point in harping on about things that's been said four times allready.

The acting in this is wierd. But I think it's a good wierd. Andersson creates a world of the absurd, wherein he puts characters of an equal mindset. That they react and act in a manner that to us seems strange is beside the point (or,perhaps, the very point). His way of writing his characters is what makes him stand out, as the stories themselves might not allways be as memmorable standing alone.

As to this specific story, it's kind of dark if you think about it. It has the basics of a "who dunnit?" mystery, enveloped into the lifestory of a hotel concierge, colored by the Andersson quirk and humour. Remove said Andersson filter, shift the focus a bit, add some crimescenes and you suddenly have a quite horrific thriller about a hotel employee and his part in a hired serial killers murder spree to protect a sinister plot from seeing the light of day. I mean, they pull a severed head from a picknick basket for f*** sake.

As for the humour in this, it's a bit hit and miss where most things do hit. I did like the gag with the pastries sent to the prison. It clearly contains escape tools, but the guard can't quite make himself destroy them while looking for contraband, so he just sends them through.

Much of the credit must go to Ralph Fiennes portrayal of M. Gustave. Put anyone less talented in that role and the movie would lose everything. And while she didn't get much to do, Saoirse Ronan is allways worth a watch (if you haven't seen HANNA (2011), go do that now) along with Willem Dafoe, here playing the mostly (if not totally) mute, bond style underling of the main antagonist.

I'm not allways a fan of Andersson, but so far I've at least liked most of his movies, even if none of them has blown me away completely. This one I do like and I believe it to be my favourite of his thus far.

Good nom, Ed!

Goof point about the film's dark side, Clazor, I didn't even think of that. It's a good thing because I probably wouldn't like it if it were kid friendly.

One of the things I love about Anderson. Thematically his films are always dark but he puts those themes in a fairytale world with very dry humor. Yeah, he's perfect.

I totally remember being a senior in High School and getting a mustard suit coat because I wanted to be a director and Wes always wore one. So badass, directing a movie in a mustard suit.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
That puts my write up on its ear.
LOL
Yeah, I finally get a completely positive review and what do I do? I mess with it

And great reviews CAR and Clazor!!

Never Let Me Go

I actually watched this several months ago after reading somebody's opinion about it on this site. For all I can remember, it could have been a review from CR. On the surface, it may not seem like my kind of movie, but in the last couple of years, I've become a sucker for both tragic love stories, and Carey Mulligan. I watched it again because there's a lot of movies I really like in this Hall of Fame, and it's going to be tight when it comes to ranking them.

I absolutely love the story, although strangely enough, the story is what produces the only negative for me. Normally, these tragic love stories end with or revolve around some type of tragedy that delivers a powerful emotional blow. In the case of this movie, that doesn't happen because the fates of the characters are predetermined. However, while I do not receive the sudden unexpected heartbreaking moment from a movie that could become an all time favorite, I do get a consistent melancholy feeling that makes the movie engrossing from start to finish. I'm a person who normally watches and judges a movie at face value, but I believe this movie has some strong depth to it. Any one of us can look at life as too short, and that's what makes regret about missed opportunities something real for everyone.

Carey Mulligan is a rare actress that can say so much while saying so little, and she's perfect in her role. I don't know what else I've seen Andrew Garfield in. I do know that he doesn't seem to get a lot of respect, but I thought he was absolutely fantastic. It's only recently that I've become a Keira Knightley fan, and I thought she was wonderful as well. The child actors did a very fine job. The movie couldn't look any better and the musical score is beautiful. I think it's a lovely film.

Did cricket just say "lovely"? What is going on with this world?