Austin Powers in Goldmember

→ in
Tools    

I thought this film was straight out hilarious. Unlike the first two films which were conceptual ideas; the first was built around the idea of Austin's defreezing and adaptation, the second about time travel and mojo, this one actually tried to do something with a little bit of heart and then went on to create a series of set pieces which were flat out, well, golden.

The childhood scenes, the Nathan Lane cameo, the opening sequence, the constant Dutch jokes, the ending, the final dance of Scott. Why did I find this funny? Well, why the Hell not go out with a big bang? The references to earlier in the series, the tongue-in-cheek running gags that knew they were running gags and expected us to know that they were running gags ["Oh, I see, now I'll just try to butt in and..."]. The sharks. The prison visit. The flashbacks to a family holiday.

Myers went nuts with this film and made something that stands up perfectly, if not better than the other two films. The series will make, I think, a beautiful three or four disc DVD set.

So, I saw it again, right? I stayed all through the credits this time, thinking there may be something at the end. Nothing. Nothing! The only funny moment was when it said:

Sharks with Frickin' Laser Beams Attached to Their Heads by....

Nothing funny at all.
No really funny thing at the end.
Sad.

I think this movie is utterly funny. In my opinion, it's much more funnier than International Man of Mystery and The Spy Who Shagged Me. I loved the cameos! lol Great film.

My rating: 3 out of 4 stars.