Can You Name It?

Tools    

Imamura's Black Rain is a devestating masterpiece. Ridley Scott's Black Rain is slick-looking, no-brainer genre crud.

Now where is Firegod? We need us another plot synopsis already!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am having a nervous breakdance
Ah, what the hell... Since Firegod has mysteriously disappeared I'll just throw one in and when he cares to join us again, he can just post his plot, k.

1978:

Set in the beginning of the 20th century. A young poor couple, pretending to be brother and sister, tries to get their hands on the fortune of a handsome and young, however dying, farmer by letting the girl marry him.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Sorry about that. I'll go ahead and answer this one: Days of Heaven, starring Richard Gere, Sam Shepard and Brooke Adams.

A group of pals knock off a bank in a small town. They end up getting much more money than they had expected, and figure out that it must belong to the Mob, who they now have to try to elude.

Don Siegel's Charley Varrick.

Mid '70s flick - a drifter and natural tough fighter, played by _____, wanders into Depression-era New Orleans and hooks up with a fast-talking gambler, played by _______, who backs him in the underground world of bare-knuckle boxing for high stakes money.

Hard Times with Charles Bronson and James Coburn.

From 1993:

A man is being locked up by his mom for all his life. After having killed her he encounters the outer world and strange things start to happen.

My life isn't written very well.
Piddy, you've stumped me. If Holden doesn't get this one, I'll need a clue.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Bad Boy Bubby

In this 1976 flick, ______ plays the owner of a strip club, a laid-back small-timer with expensive tastes. After losing too much money gambling, gangsters give him the task of murdering a man to clear his debt. _______ directed.

Piddy I don't consider it cheating if you looked up the movie, using the year the movie came out, as a clue. In fact that's the fun part. What about you Holden?

Originally posted by r3port3r66
Piddy I don't consider it cheating if you looked up the movie, using the year the movie came out, as a clue. In fact that's the fun part. What about you Holden?
No, but I have to admit that I did a little more than that. I was just so damned curious. I don't think I have ever heard of this movie before.

But just using the year as a clue, of course that's not cheating. I don't think so either.

Ok then...

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie by John Cassavetes. (Would love to see it some time).

In this thriller from 1953 four men that are stuck in some South American country take a job that includes driving two trucks. The job is very dangerous for a reason.

(One of the best films ever if you ask me)

Clouzot's The Wages of Fear, about desperate down-and-out men with little to lose driving trucks full of nitroglycerine over uneven terrain. Billy Friedkin's re-make, Sorcerer (1977) starring Roy Scheider, is serviceable, but the original is a masterpiece.

Mid-'90s entry stars ______ as a loser ex-gambler who returns home to meet his mother's new husband-to-be. While in town he reunites with his former girlfriend, who now dates a local hood. After his stepfather gets him a job driving armored cars, he hatches a heist that involves his ex's new beau. Double and triple crosses ensue. It's a re-make of a '40s Noir classic.

Underneath by Steven Soderbergh.

In this comedy/drama from 1998 a guy who just got out of prison tells his parents his been working for the FBI while he was gone. And he loves bowling.

Okay, and he kidnapps a girl and says to his parents that she's his wife. Of course they fall in love for real in the end.

Sorry, I forgot to answer this one days ago: Buffalo '66.

______ plays a Hollywood screenwriter with a temper who becomes a suspect in a girl's murder. His sexy neighbor, _______ (also the real-life wife of the director), trusts him implicitly, gives him an alibi, begins to fall in love with him, and eventually forms her own doubts when she sees his rages for herself.

This movie sounds familiar. Saying that the director's wife plays a main character is an excellent clue. Unfortunately, I need another one.

If Piddy doesn't guess it first, I'd like another clue Holden; the year it was released perhaps.