Why are some calling Godzilla dated? The threat of a nuclear war is something that can never really age, and it's a fascinating exploration of the upset feelings and fear the Japanese were feeling back then. The movie certainly isn't tightly paced and can drag just slightly at times, but when it wants to shock or leave you in awe it definitely succeeds. The special effects and monster are gorgeous to look at, and there's a real tragedy underneath the fun monster mayhem. The scene with a mother and her daughter cowering, knowing they are probably about to die was so heartbreaking it almost left me in tears. Such a powerful and moving image.

I still prefer King Kong though for several reasons. You're completely engaged from start to finish, King Kong is destructive but also a likable character that you kinda feel sorry for, the fight scenes are more memorable and it's a real pleasure to look at from a visual standpoint. It does contain some of the same strengths that Godzilla has, so I respect what both movies did for the monster genre.