What do you think of Year of the Dragon (1985)?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I kind of liked the movie kind of not, and it's right in the middle for me. I really love Mickey Rourke and thought he also gave a really good performance here.

The crime story was overall solid I guess, it's just one thing that kept getting in the way of it, was all the Chinese vs. America themes in the movie. It's as if both groups hate each other, and I never knew where this us vs. them thing came from, yet the movie keeps hammering it home. Even when the main character wants to hook up with his love interest, he feels he has to make it about race and bring it up still.

So the movie I think might have been too preachy in it's themes, but the over crime story was solid, and could have done without the preachy themes, and just been a straight up crime story, nothing more.

But what do you think?

I really like it i usually watch any film that has mickey roorke in it, i m gonna watch A prayer for the dying,also starring mickey roorke, i love 80s films

The truth is in here
Didn't you make this thread before?

I personally love this movie. Mickey Rourke gives a brilliant performance, and the story is very intriguing with lots of twists and turns. The great score also helps ramp up the tension a lot.
As for China Vs. USA, that comes into play once Chinese youth gangs breach the unwritten agreement that they will just leave each other alone. Of course, USA is also known for having a bad history with Asian countries, especially Vietnam and Japan.

The only weakpoint for me is the romance between Stanley and Tracy. Not only because you never feel them become enfatuated with each other, but the rape scene between him and Tracy left me very uncomfortable with the idea of them being a thing.

Oh, no I didn't make this thread before, I just saw the movie two days ago.

What do you mean an agreement between Chinese gangs to leave each other alone? When I said it was preachy, I meant in scenes like when the undercover Chinese cop, makes a huge deal about how the Chinese in America are underappreciated, and Tracy made remarks like that too. It just feels like it comes out of nowhere, cause the movie is about stopping the Chinese mafia, and not really about citizens being unappreciated, or at least it's never dealt with, so I felt it just kind of came out of nowhere, when it happens and is preachy therefore. Plus Mickey Rourke's character, has ill feelings towards the Chinese mafia, cause of his experience in Vietnam, but they never make any connection between Vietnam and the Chinese, so it just felt preachy and hamfisted perhaps. Although, aside from that, the plot itself was solid, just not the themes perhaps.

I didn't think that he raped Tracy though. Later on in the movie some gangsters brake into Tracy's place and rape her and then she comes to him to tell him that she was raped. So why would she come tell him she was raped, if he raped her too? Because of that, I didn't think it was rape, or at least Tracy didn't consider it to be.

I can see that, the woman started to enjoy it after she slapped him and she started kissing him back. However, I wonder why she had to be forced, causing her to slap him but then she changed her mind Maybe older movies had writers that were more open to kinky foreceful fantasies, where the woman submitted and liked it, when you watch older movies...

Yeah it was uncomfortable and very 80's, but a good movie.