Hannibal

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Watching Hannibal the movie yet again and trying to love it. I've never understood why I kept falling asleep in this other than I didnt ever like the casting of Moore as Clarice, anyway, I digress. I never noticed that when Mason called the sardinian pig farmers for a demonstration over the phone there was one lone pig on the roof dancing. Had to pause to try to find the gif but alas. Maybe some good samaritan know where to find it for larfs. I wonder if they had to put him up there

I also noticed this for the first time which blows the mind of a hat nerd.

I'm going to assume that was chosen by Martha as a nod to her husband.

This might just do nobody any good.
Hannibal: The Movie’s biggest problem is that it wants to be a generic crime thriller instead of a big budget giallo.

Also, and I say this with much respect to the man, Hopkins was waaaaaay past his Hannibal prime.

Great hat

Beautiful looking movie which is all I hve going for it, but Hannibal is a bit of a clownish tool. He speaks in that in an out of character way that annoyed me.

One thing I did love was tracking down his stationery. I bet he sent that on purpose, not that I would be surprised if he was so up himself he wouldnt stoop to using stationery of the common pig. It was probably also sent as a little flash to clarice to get her attention.

Silence of the Lambs is truly unique in how it blended the trashier elements of the story with an Oscar caliber production. Jonathan Damme’s directorial background informed that.

It was also the only movie in which Hopkins’ Lecter was actually threatening. After that he’s just an old guy with a Kat Hepburn accent.

Fun fact: Gillian was considered to play Clarice in Hannibal 2001.

Gillian Anderson for the movie? Tht old grub Dino probably declared her too unsexy for the role like he did to Jodie.

Hmm, Gillian Anderson or Julianne Moore? I think I understand Buridan's ass.

It was also the only movie in which Hopkins’ Lecter was actually threatening. After that he’s just an old guy with a Kat Hepburn accent.
Well yeah,

Fun fact: Gillian was considered to play Clarice in Hannibal 2001.
Oh that is interesting. Might have worked. I think the thing was that Julianne Moore had already worked with Hopkins. Perhaps he thought the existing familiarity would help since she was taking over from Jodie Foster.

Hmm, Gillian Anderson or Julianne Moore? I think I understand Buridan's ass.
Well it's Julianne Moore for me .

My favorite Lecter “what if” is that Michael Mann wanted William Friedkin to play Hannibal in Manhunter because he thought he was genuinely crazy.

Well, that and I think Dave Lynch was offered one of the movies.

I no understandy.
Well it's just that Lecter and Starling have a history there but you'd have to build that up with a new actor coming in. I get the impression it's easier to do that if you know the other actor already, and that might have been in Hopkins' mind when he was consulted.

My favorite Lecter “what if” is that Michael Mann wanted William Friedkin to play Hannibal in Manhunter because he thought he was genuinely crazy.

Well, that and I think Dave Lynch was offered one of the movies.
That's a great story about Brian Dennehy telling Mann, who wanted him to play Lecter, that he was such a good friend that he was going to decline because there was someone better. Dennehy had seen Brian Cox on stage – I forget the production.

Dennehy would have been cool.
He would really. Thinking of him in Cocoon in particular.

Another possible Lecter: Daniel Day-Lewis.
Well Mads isn't the traditional look for Lecter so it's feasible.

I love big daddy Brian but that wouldnt have worked for me.

I love big daddy Brian but that wouldnt have worked for me.
Well you know Brian is my favourite. It tickled me to see him in X-Men 2 with the roles reversed and Ian McKellen Lecter-like in Magneto's plastic cell.

Well you know Brian is my favourite. It tickled me to see him in X-Men 2 with the roles reversed and Ian McKellen Lecter-like in Magneto's plastic cell.
I think he's awesome and actually looks like my late dad but how dumb is this - gave up the role of Hannibal and recommended someone else; took on the role of white guy kublai khan. What on earth was he thinking.

I think he's awesome and actually looks like my late dad but how dumb is this - gave up the role of Hannibal and recommended someone else; took on the role of white guy kublai khan. What on earth was he thinking.
I know – I've seen him . The subject came up not so long ago where I was saying that I think Benedict Wong is probably the first person of suitable ethnicity to have played the role on screen.

I had quite a shock when I saw Brian Dennehy after a few years in Righteous Kill because he'd lost so much weight.

I know – I've seen him . The subject came up not so long ago where I was saying that I think Benedict Wong is probably the first person of suitable ethnicity to have played the role on screen.

I had quite a shock when I saw Brian Dennehy after a few years in Righteous Kill because he'd lost so much weight.
Benedict Wong was the perfect choice for that show.

I dont recall this moment in the movie - it seems Hannibal chops clarice's hand off at the wrist to escape the handcuffs. What actually happened - he chopped the chain? I didnt see the handcuff still on him.

Ray Liotta was a brilliant dinner guest. What a rude toady.