The 2016 MoFo Film Awards

Tools    

movies can be okay...
And I'm obviously pointing out that you can't just call a film "manipulative" and expect it to be a self-evident criticism. Most people here have disagreed with you on that because of the way you expressed this claim and subsequently haven't done much to back it up.
It is a self-evident criticism, because no one goes around calling a film manipulative because of how good they manipulated them, I don't know about you but I've never witnessed a person going like "Oh wow, this film is so manipulative it's making me cry, damn it, that's the manipulation of the film, what an Oscar worthy manipulative movie yay". I'm sorry because I made a brief synopsis of why I dislike a film the majority likes ? It's not that I haven't done much to back it up, it's that your mind is already convinced with how you feel about the film because of a certain reason, so it can't accept that this same certain reason is the reason why another person dislikes it.
This does go back to my whole "variations on a theme" comment. I don't look for similarities, I look for differences - if I do have to acknowledge similarities, I at least try to understand if there's a point beyond mere recycling them for the same purposes. Per your examples:

-All three films open with a sequence of the toys being played with in some capacity (if anything, it's 2 that is different because it's revealed to be a toy playing a videogame instead of a human playing with toys)
-All three films deal with the impermanence of a toy's existence, with the first being about Woody's rivalry with Buzz being motivated by fear of being replaced and discarded
-All three films are about toys mistakenly being considered unwanted - it's worth noting that, in 1 and 2, it's Woody who thinks that Andy no longer wants him whereas in 3 he's the only toy who Andy really wants to keep and so he must convince the others that they weren't supposed to be thrown away either
-All three films involve the protagonist toys meeting other toys whose appearances hide their true nature, with the first film featuring Sid's horrifying-looking misfit toys who join forces with Woody
-All three films know the narrative value of Buzz's "original" mode as a strong source of conflict and find different uses for it each time (him realising the truth about himself in 1, him being forced to face off against a second Buzz in 2, and him being brainwashed in 3). It's a consistent character trait across all three films.
-You should try noticing what's different rather than just shrugging off 3 as "literally a copy" because of superficial similarities - the flashback in 2 builds sympathy for one character, the one in 3 details a villainous backstory. The same technique, but with vastly different intentions.
-All three films see the antagonists receive an ironic/karmic comeuppance - Sid (who has no problem messing with toys and upsetting his sister in the process) gets traumatised by the realisation that toys are alive, Stinky Pete (whose bitterness comes from never being played with) finally gets someone who will play with him in a way he finds horrible, and Lotso (who turned his perceived rejection into an excuse to control and torment other toys) is trapped in a horrible situation by someone with fond memories of his particular type of toy

Also, like I said, you know that nostalgia isn't an inherently bad thing, right? I already pointed out how it at least informs the film proper in a way that isn't just about preying on people's memories (at least not compared to the likes of, say, Jurassic World). It still sees Andy give up all the toys (even Woody, which he wasn't originally going to do) so it acknowledges the importance of the past without wallowing too hard in it. It quite rightly understands that this is the end of an era instead of just an empty experience to be replicated out of fondness for the past.

This is what I'm getting at with all this - you can't just get hung up on superficial details and try to cynically overlook a film's strengths because they don't fit with your preconceptions of what a "good" movie should be like. Rather than just go "I don't like this", try asking yourself "why don't I like this?"
I wasn't looking for similarities either, but the amount of them in Toy Story 3 is very apparent, and I don't know if you noticed but you haven't done much to counter the argument of TS3 being similar to TS2, you didn't deny it, you just added TS1 into the equation, TS3 does in fact take from both TS1 & 2 but undeniably more from the sequel, of course the makers aren't gonna be stupid enough to make the same movie again, so instead they follow the same formula, I mean the conflict and its resolution in TS2 and TS3 plays out almost in the exact same way, and they have the exact same premise.

Again, you still haven't convinced me that they didn't rely on the nostalgia factor for emotional responses, TS3 doesn't stand out as an independent movie the same way its predecessors do, if you didn't already have a connection with the characters from the first 2 films then there is no way that the film would have much of an impact on you.

Also, there is no closure, Pixar isn't dumb enough to give up on the most grossing series, Toy Story 4 is coming in with full charge Choo Choo ! And I can't wait to see the over-hype for such a film once again.

"Why I don't like this ?" This is funny because I think I gave enough reasons to justify my dislike of the film so far, while you keep talking about how much the movie made you feel good, but if you want more, sure ?
- It's not funny, it fails at being funny, the jokes are a joke.
- Some of the toys are a bunch of irrational idiots that serve no purpose other than advancing the plot, in the first film it does make enough sense to not believe Woody, but in the third film it's way too convenient to the point where the rest of the movie wouldn't have happened had they believed him, it's not like Woody has been right mhmmmm for the past 15 years ?!
I have many nitpicks, but this one was the most annoying:
- I will never forget the stupidity of this part, so while all of the toys are in the magnetic thingy or whatever, the purple bear is stuck under something, Woody tries to save him using a golf club but it lefts him off the ground because it's metal, then Buzz grabs it and uses his weight to bring it down, then they use it to save the bear, then ALL THREE OF THEM USE THE SAME GOLF CLUB TO GET LIFTED BACK UP. WOW. Also, everyone goes back down at some point, but it is never explained how the metal dog got down...I get this is just a cartoon, but the previous movies made enough logical sense for the world they're in, contrary to this film.

You still haven't explained exactly why that is a problem beyond the fact that you seem to arbitrarily consider one approach to be better than the other. Besides, Manchester already creates a traumatic situation and explores what kind of character emerges from it - the actual plot is kicked off by Kyle Chandler's character dying of a heart attack before examining how Affleck and Hedges are affected by his death. Affleck's tragic past is already hinted at multiple times before it does get revealed halfway through, and it's not like it's the first flashback in the film either - the film's constant flashbacks do get at the idea that one can't escape their past and how it affects their present/future. It's a matter of what storytelling structure benefits the film most. Would In Bruges have been better if Harry had explained his real plan for Ray and Ken in the first couple of scenes, or is the film better served by having the reveal be hidden until at least halfway through? That's the kind of thing you need to think about when considering how a film delivers exposition and develops characters.

Also, that last part was not supposed to be "just a description of the film", it's a general approach to emotional narrative structure. A film is like a rollercoaster - the enjoyment and appreciation come from the ways in which it goes up and down or slow and fast between beginning and end. A rollercoaster that stays on the same incline at the same speed all the way through is a pretty useless rollercoaster and I'd maintain that the same is true of films that maintain the same tone no matter what.
You don't get it, it's not about how the movie was delivered, it's about how the character was delivered, they purposely created an *******, while also hinting and reminding the audience that there's a reason why this ******* is an *******, only to make the big reveal as shocking and emotional as it can possibly be, just for the sake of justifying why this ******* is an *******, that's manipulative. There is also an overuse of pretentious and emotional music that screams at the audience and tells them how they should currently feel, it's as if the film doesn't know what subtly is, that's manipulative. There is another overuse of drama clichés such as "getting to a fight in a bar for no real reason", that's cheap. Overall the film was undeservedly long, boring, uninspiring and uneventful.

Thanks I guess for telling me what a good drama is supposed to be like...but unfortunately Manchester still doesn't fall in that category in my opinion, it's funny how you say that a film should be a rollercoaster, but yet MBTS is a pretty toned down and dull with little to no twists or turns, even the characters stay the same as they were in the beginning.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

There is also an overuse of pretentious and emotional music that screams at the audience and tells them how they should currently feel, it's as if the film doesn't know what subtly is, that's manipulative. .
Lonergan freely admits that he suffered from "temp score love" in the tragedy reveal scene. He put Albininos Adagio in to give the music editor a feel for what type of music he wanted. The same piece has been used countless times before in tragic scenes like in Rosemary's baby. But when the time came to replace it, Lonergan said he couldn't change it because it just felt so right for the scene.

This doesn't really add to the discussion, but it gives some depth as to why that music is there.

I thought it was perfect.

movies can be okay...
Lonergan freely admits that he suffered from "temp score love" in the tragedy reveal scene. He put Albininos Adagio in to give the music editor a feel for what type of music he wanted. The same piece has been used countless times before in tragic scenes like in Rosemary's baby. But when the time came to replace it, Lonergan said he couldn't change it because it just felt so right for the scene.

This doesn't really add to the discussion, but it gives some depth as to why that music is there.

I thought it was perfect.
That's fine, but it didn't really work for me, especially since the movie was trying so hard to get the audience to believe that the events are as realistic as they can get, then they throw annoying music at you, when silence would have been a better choice. It also shows how little the film-makers trusted their audience, they thought that it's better to spoon-feed the viewer.

Welcome to the human race...
It is a self-evident criticism, because no one goes around calling a film manipulative because of how good they manipulated them, I don't know about you but I've never witnessed a person going like "Oh wow, this film is so manipulative it's making me cry, damn it, that's the manipulation of the film, what an Oscar worthy manipulative movie yay". I'm sorry because I made a brief synopsis of why I dislike a film the majority likes ? It's not that I haven't done much to back it up, it's that your mind is already convinced with how you feel about the film because of a certain reason, so it can't accept that this same certain reason is the reason why another person dislikes it
People don't say a good film manipulated them because it's not necessary. It's like a magic trick - people want to be fooled and they only complain when they aren't fooled. I just consider "manipulative" to be an empty critical term like "pretentious" - it tells me next to nothing about the film except that the person using the word didn't like it. I don't even like Manchester that much - I just consider the word "manipulative" to be that useless.

I wasn't looking for similarities either, but the amount of them in Toy Story 3 is very apparent, and I don't know if you noticed but you haven't done much to counter the argument of TS3 being similar to TS2, you didn't deny it, you just added TS1 into the equation, TS3 does in fact take from both TS1 & 2 but undeniably more from the sequel, of course the makers aren't gonna be stupid enough to make the same movie again, so instead they follow the same formula, I mean the conflict and its resolution in TS2 and TS3 plays out almost in the exact same way, and they have the exact same premise.
I don't know why you thought it was something I ever had to deny in order to prove you wrong. I brought the first film into it because I was trying to identify common themes across all three films so as to distinguish the different approaches that go beyond just mentioning trivial stuff like "both villains have a cane".

Again, you still haven't convinced me that they didn't rely on the nostalgia factor for emotional responses, TS3 doesn't stand out as an independent movie the same way its predecessors do, if you didn't already have a connection with the characters from the first 2 films then there is no way that the film would have much of an impact on you.
Does TS2 stand out on its own? I'm not sure how many sequels truly do, especially not third ones.

"Why I don't like this ?" This is funny because I think I gave enough reasons to justify my dislike of the film so far, but if you want more, sure ?
- It's not funny, it fails at being funny, the jokes are a joke.
- Some of the toys are a bunch of irrational idiots that serve no purpose other than advancing the plot, in the first film it does make enough sense to not believe Woody, but in the third film it's way too convenient to the point where the rest of the movie wouldn't have happened had they believed him, it's not like Woody has been right mhmmmm for the past 15 years ?!
- Also, I will never forget the stupidity of this part, so while all of the toys are in the magnetic thingy or whatever, the purple bear is stuck under something, Woody tries to save him using a golf club but it lefts him off the ground because it's metal, then Buzz grabs it and uses his weight to bring it down, then they use it to save the bear, then ALL THREE OF THEM USE THE SAME GOLF CLUB TO GET LIFTED BACK UP. WOW. Also, everyone goes back down at some point, but it is never explained how the metal dog got down...I get this is just a cartoon, but the previous movies made enough logical sense for the world they're in, contrary to this film.
I guess I can't tell you what to find funny or not, but still, consider how you acknowledge that characters act irrational to advance the plot and what measures of irrationality are either satisfactory or too much. Accidents drive the plot of #3 more than anything - the other toys are accidentally put in a garbage bag, which leads them to conclude that they are being thrown out, and they later take Woody's words with a grain of salt since he's the only one who's guaranteed to not get thrown out on purpose. There's logic in the illogical, is all I'm saying (not going to argue the golf club bit, though).

You don't get it, it's not about how the movie was delivered, it's about how the character was delivered, they purposely created an *******, while also hinting and reminding the audience that there's a reason why this ******* is an *******, only to make the big reveal as shocking and emotional as it can possibly be, just for the sake of justifying why this ******* is an *******, that's manipulative. There is also an overuse of pretentious and emotional music that screams at the audience and tells them how they should currently feel, it's as if the film doesn't know what subtly is, that's manipulative. There is another overuse of drama clichés such as "getting to a fight in a bar for no real reason", that's cheap. Overall the film was undeservedly long, boring, uninspiring and uneventful.
if I'm going to be honest with you, this sounds a lot like how I felt about Mommy, right down to the overbearing music cues (f*cking "Wonderwall"?) and random bar fights.

Thanks I guess for telling me what a good drama is supposed to be like...but unfortunately Manchester still doesn't fall in that category in my opinion, it's funny how you say that a film should be a rollercoaster, but yet MBTS is a pretty toned down and dull with little to no twists or turns, even the characters stay the same as they were in the beginning.
The rollercoaster is a metaphor.

movies can be okay...
People don't say a good film manipulated them because it's not necessary. It's like a magic trick - people want to be fooled and they only complain when they aren't fooled. I just consider "manipulative" to be an empty critical term like "pretentious" - it tells me next to nothing about the film except that the person using the word didn't like it. I don't even like Manchester that much - I just consider the word "manipulative" to be that useless.
Yeah, but sometimes this magic trick can also work while being forced at the same time, I mentioned way before that a movie about dying puppies without any other substantial qualities, would definitely cause emotional reactions, that doesn't make it a good movie overall does it ?
I disagree though, there are many pretentious (*cough* Only God Forgives *cough*) and manipulative (*cough* as you said *cough* Jurassic World *cough*) films out there, and I don't think it's meaningless to call them that.

I don't know why you thought it was something I ever had to deny in order to prove you wrong. I brought the first film into it because I was trying to identify common themes across all three films so as to distinguish the different approaches that go beyond just mentioning trivial stuff like "both villains have a cane".
Because you made it seem as though my criticism is meaningless, just because you chose to dismiss and forgive the many similarities and I didn't, doesn't make my reason for disliking the film any less valid. Both villains in both films are way too similar for their own good, it might be a nitpick, but I believe that it was done on purpose by the makers after they saw the success of the previous film.

Does TS2 stand out on its own? I'm not sure how many sequels truly do, especially not third ones.
I think it does, I actually even think that it is slightly better than the original. You're right, there aren't many sequels that can stand up to their original, and obviously my main dislike for TS3 is because of it being the third movie, so it suffers from what many third movies generally suffer from.

I guess I can't tell you what to find funny or not, but still, consider how you acknowledge that characters act irrational to advance the plot and what measures of irrationality are either satisfactory or too much. Accidents drive the plot of #3 more than anything - the other toys are accidentally put in a garbage bag, which leads them to conclude that they are being thrown out, and they later take Woody's words with a grain of salt since he's the only one who's guaranteed to not get thrown out on purpose. There's logic in the illogical, is all I'm saying (not going to argue the golf club bit, though).
I thought the humour was just childish, which is okay since this is a movie for kids, but still...for example; Buzz transforming into a Spanish stereotype, I don't even get the logic behind it, so he is normal, then they switch him to factory setting, and then they press reset, and then he turns Spanish, and then they have no idea how to switch him back, and then a TV falls on top of him, and then he is normal...I don't even have to explain how stupid that is.
I think most of my anger towards TS3 is because of some of the Oscars nominations it got, such as best screenplay...when there are many illogical errors in this screenplay...such as the monkey who is able to notice if the toys are able to escape from the daycare, but doesn't notice when Buzz escapes from the daycare (this is also another example of plot conveniences). I have no problem with people liking the film, but to call its screenplay the best, yeah....NO.

if I'm going to be honest with you, this sounds a lot like how I felt about Mommy, right down to the overbearing music cues (f*cking "Wonderwall"?) and random bar fights.
That's unfortunate that you felt that way, but there's a huge difference, Wonderwall wasn't even played during an emotional scene, it was used to emphasise that an amount of time has passed, if anything I would expect you to complain about Ludovicio Einaudi's "Experience" being used, but even then I don't think none of the music was way too pushy or forced, it flowed with the film and the happenings perfectly. Plus, they're a good listen. And I wouldn't call the bar fight random whatsoever, there was definitely a build up to it, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

The rollercoaster is a metaphor.
I know...but you're saying that's what a film should be like, Manchester had the same tone all throughout, the characters didn't learn anything, it was all pointless, it was like riding a slow horizontal roller-coaster if anything.

That's fine, but it didn't really work for me, especially since the movie was trying so hard to get the audience to believe that the events are as realistic as they can get, then they throw annoying music at you, when silence would have been a better choice. It also shows how little the film-makers trusted their audience, they thought that it's better to spoon-feed the viewer.
Annoying music? It's a beautiful piece. The whole segment would have just seemed weird with no music, because the scene stretches over the whole night into the morning. That would have felt totally not in keeping with the film's tone. In my opinion of course.

movies can be okay...
Annoying music? It's a beautiful piece. The whole segment would have just seemed weird with no music, because the scene stretches over the whole night into the morning. That would have felt totally not in keeping with the film's tone. In my opinion of course.
When used wrong, it becomes annoying.

I enjoyed Manchester By the Sea for the performances, because I love miserable movies, and because it's setting is familiar to me. I don't know how to explain the rest of it like you guys, but boy I thought the director blew it.