Gothic, creepy German/Austrian mountain climbing movie title???

Tools    

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a needle in a haystack, but here goes...

I was in Argentina 4 years ago watching TV one night and was captivated by (I think) a silent movie that looked like it was shot in the 20s, with German intertitles. All I can remember is that it seemed like a kind of like a mountaineering movie, maybe a war movie too, incredibly dark and gothic, lots of struggle and death, weary troops or mountaineers trudging through giant snowpiles, lots of drama, like a cross between Nosferatu the vampire and a movie about alpine troops. Many of the scenes seemed to be in old dark alpine houses or castles at night. Very sturm un drang score I seem to remember as well.

Anyhow, I've nearly broke the Googlewebs looking for such a film but have come up short. Any ideas?

Semper Fooey
Sounds like a movie that starred Leni Riefenstahl. She made mostly mountain climbing movies. None of them are supernatural or horror themed.

Semper Fooey
The supernatural aspect sounds like her Blue Light, but the plot sounds more like this one. The score you heard doesn't mean anything because it is a silent movie and different releases have different scores.

&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Fanck

If not that some movie directed by this guy.

what is this movie? is it scary????

Wow, I think it is actually The White Hell of Piz Palu!!! Thanks for your knowledge, will.15. I looked at The Blue Light and The Holy Mountain also and they look cool.