Most pirated movie ever revealed

Tools    

Avatar tops the chart, despite making billions at the box office

With global box-office takings of £1.77 billion, 'Avatar' is the most successful film ever to hit cinemas. But technology blog TorrentFreak has now revealed that the James Cameron blockbuster is also the most pirated film of all time.

The news seems to make a mockery of James Cameron's claims that 3D is the best hope for the film industry to combat piracy.

TorrentFreak compiled its list after The Hollywood Reporter found that 'The Blind Side' was the most rented title over at US online rentals site Netflix.

The Sandra Bullock sports/race drama didn't even feature in the most-downloaded Top 10, which was primarily composed of blockbusters like 'The Dark Knight' and 'Transformers'. In fact, there is not a single film that features in both lists.

The lack of correspondence between the two surveys lends credence to industry claims that rentals and TV-sales are hardest hit by piracy, as the most stolen films did well in cinemas but not in the rentals market.

The biggest victim of piracy may well be said to be 'Kick-Ass', which clocks in at number 7 in the most-pirated chart but is the only film in the top 10 to have banked less than £64 million ($100 million) during its cinema run.

The full list of the 10 most pirated movies follows:

1. Avatar (21 million downloads)
2. The Dark Knight (19 million)
3. Transformers (19 million)
4. Inception (18 million)
5. The Hangover (17 million)
6. Star Trek (16 million)
7. Kick-Ass (15 million)
8. The Departed (14 million)
9. The Incredible Hulk (14 million)
10. Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End (14 million)
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/record-br...-all-time.html

"He has all the time in the world ... "
Avatar, that's the smurf movie right? I haven't seen it yet. I don't think I'll watch a bootleg though, I'll just wait until it comes to Freeview.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I think it's funny that he went through all that with making avatar the way he did which had to have cost a ton more money, and went on record saying that it would stop piracy. Good job Mr. Cameron

Avatar, that's the smurf movie right? I haven't seen it yet. I don't think I'll watch a bootleg though, I'll just wait until it comes to Freeview.
Bootleg? Where do you download from? Bootleg... are we still in the 80's?

I can download the 3 disc special edition right now if I didn't already own it.

The most pirated movies also make the most money at the box office................

I think it's also safe to assume that the least pirated movies "make" the least at the box office..............

What does this say about piracy?

"He has all the time in the world ... "
Bootleg? Where do you download from? Bootleg... are we still in the 80's?
Yes, I'm thinking of purchasing a new gramaphone player as well. Now, where did I put the keys for my highly modified DeLorean?

How is Hulk so high?

People don't go to movie theater if they don't have a date! They'd rather download it... thats the truth just saying...

that's what she said...
Well I think part of the reason piracy has gone up so much is because of the cost to go the the movies. Here in IL, for example, its $9 for a movie ticket and if you want popcorn and a drink its like another $11-16 depending on what size you get.

Sometimes it's just easier to watch it online for free (even tho its not as great of quality as it would be in theaters). I'm guilty for watching these (highlighted) online and not in theaters.

1. Avatar (21 million downloads)
2. The Dark Knight (19 million)
3. Transformers (19 million)
4. Inception (18 million)
5. The Hangover (17 million)
6. Star Trek (16 million)
7. Kick-Ass (15 million)
8. The Departed (14 million)
9. The Incredible Hulk (14 million)
10. Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End (14 million)

the rest I either saw in theaters or havn't seen yet.