Fight Club: The Tab

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Where was that at Patti??? Would hate to be the employee in that situation.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
I would never come to blows. Unless of course, they threw the first punch. Then it's fair game, right?

I don't know if this fits here or not but it's the first thing that comes to mind and it may serve someone in the future (be careful!) .

I was working close to the shipdocks here in town in a warehouse (one of my illustrious pre-geek positions) that was surrounded with other warehouses. This sweet old man next to ours owned a camera/copy store and he had a small spot there for storage. Whenever he was in he would leave his warehouse doors open, usually in expectation of a delivery of goods. Well, this is in the worst part of Houston and needless to say the guy got robbed. Multiple times. People would drive up, grab an armfull of stuff and take off. I kept telling the guy to close his door and he kept telling me no... he didn't operate that way. He was from a time where people didn't lock doors and couldn't accept that there are bad people.

So one day I had just finished mortising some doors for a customer and was cleaning out my router bit when I heard a bunch of yelling from next door... my back door was open that day as... well... I had nothing anyone would want to steal and it was a warm breezy day. I ran out and saw a red car sitting at the end of the old guys loading dock. I heard the old guy yelling and saw a guy just barely inside the door looking like he was hitting someone (out of my sightline). I saw red, that was it. I was gonna go break this mofo. I took off running straight at him... I was hoping he wouldn't see me coming and I was going jump on him and ram his head into the metal doorframe... then I heard a yell "hold up big boy!" I didn't see anyone at first then I realized there was another guy in the car... pointing a very big gun at my head. It might not have been a big gun I don't really remember but when the business end is pointed at your head they all look big. I froze. The guy with the gun was laughing.. he had a straggly mustache and no front teeth and I was praying that this ugly SOB would not be the one that would end me. His friend laid off the old man and loaded up his car. I wanted to put a hurt on these guys so bad... yet I was scared to death that when they drove off he was going to put one in me. The other guy got into the driver's seat and the gun guy yelled "you didn't see nothin'! I know where to find you!" I was ready to hit the ground but I saw him toss the gun as they took off. I sat hard onto the ground for a minute then remembered the old man. I got up fearing the worst and ran into his warehouse... he was ok. Bloodied a bit but ok. I sat on a chair he had out there and shook for about 5 minutes... then called the cops. I should have called sooner but I was too freaked. The old guy moved to a different spot pretty soon after that and I never heard if they got the guys or not... probably not.

Now With Moveable Parts
Ohmigod! Toose! That is the scariest thing I ever read! You could have been killed right then and there! We never would have met you....

How Toose almost punched out a little old lady:

You all are going to think bad things happen to me. I was on the road (pretty big one, 4 lanes with an esplanade in the middle) late one night. In fact it was morning, about 1:30. I was stopped at a light and fiddling with my radio when I felt the jolt of a car hitting me from behind. Not hard.. maybe 10 mph. Dam! I got out and walked back to look at my car... no big deal... it was old and there were no dents. I walked back and the litle old lady opened her window and I swear I've never seen anyone so drunk. I told her I was calling the cops and she gave me the whole spiel about how she was gonna get deported and she only lived a 1/4 mile further down. I asked if she wanted to leave her car and I would drive her... she said no. Okay, I was young and thought hey I've been drunk before I'd cut her a break. I got back in and took off. The very next light same deal.. she smacked me going about 15 this time and I was lit... shame on me for not keeping an eye on her but I'm not a babysitter. I jumped out ready to pull her out of that car and she guns it ripping a chunk off my leg off as she swerves past me. I was in the mode then... smoke pouring out of my ears I jumped in my car, blood everywhere, and started chasing her. She had gotten about a mile down the road before she had gone into the ditch and hit a tree. She was stumbling around outside of her car mumbling... curse words and it took every fiber of strength I had not to clock her one.... but I'm a gentleman at heart and couldn't do it. More people showed up and eventually the law was called. I sat down on my hood to take a look at my leg... nothing serious... took 4 stitches to close it up. Turned out she didn't have insurance... I still get mad thinking about that one...

Now With Moveable Parts
Dear Baby Jesus! That sounds like something out of a movie! What in the hell!? I'm glad you didn't hit her, because you would have shaved the last years of her life, clean off her slate...but if it were me...I would have rocked her world!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I got pissed at a guy this weekend. Didn't see him, but my girlfriend did. He has been trying to get the hookup with her, and she keeps telling him that she's with me and she doesn't want him. The guy can't take a hint. So this weekend, after she got off work, he stopped by her house and they were out talking, and then he went to leave, she gave him a friendly hug, and he went to kiss her. She told him off, and the guy better be damn glad I haven't seen him since then.

How's that one???

Now With Moveable Parts
I don't know, spud. No confrontation yet on this? The guy tried to kiss your girl!
I'd be making sure this guy knew my limits by now.

You guys seem really high-strung.

I can't remember the last time I've even wanted to hit somebody or been mad enough that I could've seen myself doing that. Of course, I don't work in the service industry so I don't get to deal with bad customers (which seems to be a common source of problems for people).

The closest I've come is my obnoxious neighbor who keeps keying my car and threatening me, peeking in my windows and all that. But I don't want to hit him, either. I figure there's some far better ways to make his life miserable than by getting physical with him (though he's already pretty pathetic. I mean, he is taking the time to peek in my windows. How pathetic do you have to be to want to do that?)

More frustrating than him, though, is the police and the apartment complex managers. The police don't care about enforcing laws (so far my neighbor has committed criminal mischief, assault, trespass against me as well as probably violating the state's anti-stalking law, yet the police do nothing. We have laws for a reason. Why have them or a police force if they don't care to enforce the laws we have?), and the apartment management gives me a "What do you want us to do about it?" attitude (I don't know. Perhaps enforcing the lease would be a start. We have written rules that this fellow has violated several times. Eviction is called for. But apparently they'd rather give me money in the lawsuit they're going to lose in a few months).

The thing is, there are always jerks in the world, so I the neighbor himself doesn't bother me so much. It's the fact that people who are entrusted to deal with these jerks when they break the rules have so little desire to do the very things they are paid to do that bothers me more than anything. Why have rules at all if there's no penalty for not following them?

The Legislature has gone out of its way to make these laws, but they're useless if they aren't enforced. We spend a lot of money having a police force and a district attorney's office. Why bother if they refuse to do their jobs? No wonder there's such a big heroin problem in Plano. Our police force is made up of Barney Fifes and rejects from the Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight. I fully suspect that each Plano police officer is given one bullet and told to keep it in their shirt pocket so as not to hurt themselves.

If the DA refuses to do anything, I think I'll start work on a documentary about the impotence of the law enforcement apparatus in Collin County. I guarantee that if it's this hard for me to get the rules enforced, it's just as hard for a whole lot of people just like me.

Now With Moveable Parts
I didn't start this thread for you all to think I was high strung. Or that I go around hitting people. Not one of my stories involved physical fighting of any kind...it's just that we all experience run-ins with people, some of them are funny...some of them are serious. Ever been the target of someone's road rage? It's not fun...but it's a good idea to talk about these things...

I was just kidding with the "high strung" comment.

One of the main reasons that I often don't end up getting upset with people is that I often just don't have to deal with them. It's fairly rare that I have a run-in with people at all. That's not because I'm just so much more easy-going. It's just that I spend so little time dealing with other people (Plus, I live in a conceal carry state, so I think people are generally a little friendlier than they otherwise would be because you never know who has the gun).

Yeah... she's not bad, she's just drawn that way.

Now With Moveable Parts
'Tis true Timing...thank you.

ryan- I'm sorry you don't have many dealings with people. It's fun to experience a wack-o once in awhile...

Originally posted by sadesdrk
ryan- I'm sorry you don't have many dealings with people. It's fun to experience a wack-o once in awhile...
I deal with actors, that's pretty darn close to experiencing wackos.

Now With Moveable Parts
Okay...well next time their ego is out of line...take one down! Whoo-Hoo!

Originally posted by ryanpaige
You guys seem really high-strung.

I can't remember the last time I've even wanted to hit somebody or been mad enough that I could've seen myself doing that. Of course, I don't work in the service industry so I don't get to deal with bad customers (which seems to be a common source of problems for people).

The closest I've come is my obnoxious neighbor who keeps keying my car and threatening me, peeking in my windows and all that....
Jeez Ryan I'm mad enough to come up there and smack him for you!

Call me...