Favorite Romance Movies...i.e."chick flicks"

Tools    

OH, Casablanca

The Fountain? I don't know...

But Before Sunrise/Sunset might be the best picks for mature believable romance.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

When someone asks you if you're a God, you say YES!!
Did you guys really like The Fountain? I am not saying that to be disparaging, I just really couldn't get into it. I think you are right in that the lengths he goes to are certainly romantic, but I just didn't think Jackman was right and I wasn't a huge fan of the futuristic stuff. I suspect that the studio had a hand in some of my less favorite parts, but not a great movie from my perspective, though I think Aronofsky has a lot of talent.

Did you guys really like The Fountain?...I suspect that the studio had a hand in some of my less favorite parts...
You think a studio, any studio, had a hand in dictating The Fountain to Aronofsky? I don't really care for the movie myself, but if a studio gets involved in changing the content of a film it's about making it supposedly more mainstream and marketable. What in the fart in he Fountain do you think they added or suggested? Whatever that movie is, it is definitely Aronofsky's vision all the way down the line.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've got to agree and also ride the Hitch train. I'm sure I would like The Notebook but I haven't seen it 100% in its entirely yet.

Some more...

Hellboy, Forget Paris, Magnolia (c'mon, has some great romantic stuff), Walk the Line, Urban Cowboy, Titanic, City of Angels, Ghost, Brokeback Mountain (beautiful love story), Four Weddings and a Funeral, Don Juan DeMarco, Edward Scissorhands, The Wedding Singer, Groundhog Day, What Dreams May Come, Sliding Doors, Peggy Sue Got Married, Amelie, Grosse Pointe Blank, Jerry Maguire, Rocky, Crocodile Dundee, Prince of Tides, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Sleepless in Seattle, Benny & Joon, Beauty & the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Jackie Brown, American Beauty, For Love of the Game, When a Man Loves a Woman, Buffalo 66, Shrek, Twilight (don't like it? go suck a big fat juicy artery), Punch Drunk Love, Leaving Las Vegas, Honeymoon in Vegas, It Could Happen to You, Annie Hall, Secretary, Good Dick, As Good As It Gets, Bound, Natural Born Killers (psychos in love but still love), Out of Sight, True Romance, The Truth about Cats and Dogs, Wall E, Chasing Amy, Grumpy Old Men, 40 Year Old Virgin, Joe Versus the Volcano, Sex, Lies & Videotape (uh huh), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Roxanne, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Open Range, Trust, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, The Crying Game (you heard me), The Fifth Element (which is Love, FYI), Great Expectations (the one with Ethan Hawke), Underworld

While not all strictly pure lovey-dovey romance movies, the titles include idealized love, down & dirty realistic relationships, unrequited love, doomed love, weird dysfunctional love, misfit love, psycho love, and so on. It's all love.

When Harry met Sally
Titanic
The Bridges of Madison County

When someone asks you if you're a God, you say YES!!
You think a studio, any studio, had a hand in dictating The Fountain to Aronofsky? I don't really care for the movie myself, but if a studio gets involved in changing the content of a film it's about making it supposedly more mainstream and marketable. What in the fart in he Fountain do you think they added or suggested? Whatever that movie is, it is definitely Aronofsky's vision all the way down the line.
Well, you may be right, but it was delayed quite a bit from its original release date and was supposedly in the can long before it was released. Maybe that was Aronofsky holding out for his version or maybe it was the studio recutting some parts to their liking. I have no idea if Aronofsky was able to negotiate final cut in his contract at that early point in his career, but my guess would be no. I guess the point is that I thought that movie had a lot of potential and just did not deliver, but I like Aronofsky and was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that his full vision did not make the screen. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I think PS. I LOVE YOU is a pretty good film as far as romance goes. Not quite direct romance but its a film most guys would hate lol Based on a book

"You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'm gonna get medieval on your ass."

Shrek
Brief Encounter
My Fair Lady
Lost in Translation
Beauty and The Beast

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
i like knight and angels