My Big Fat Box Office Gross

Tools    

Well, I'm sure you've heard of it already: My Big Fat Greek Wedding is, so far, the second-highest grossing Independent Film in modern times. The first, of course, is The Blair Witch Project, which took in over $140 million domestically.

Greek Wedding, however, has taken in over $125 million to date, and looks to pass Blair Witch without even blinking. It's also a very safe bet that it'll cruise past XXX's domestic gross, which will likely round out at around $145-150 million at most. And did I mention that it cost only $5 million to produce? And let's not forget the money yet to come in through video/DVD sales and rentals.

Impressive, to say the least. It'll be one of the highest grossing films of the year without much trouble, and is easily one of the most amazing box office stories of all time. Any thoughts on what's sparked this sensation? Luck? Impeccable timing? It's not one of the most amazing films ever made, and marketing hasn't been heavy. Why has the word of mouth been so strong?

If you want my theory, it's all due to the "feel good" nature of the flick. It's connecting with people and allowing them to leave the theater happy and fulfilled, which is all too rare these days. Your thoughts?

A novel adaptation.
Recent news...
Today is supposedly the day that My Big Fat Greek Wedding has officially become the highest grossing independent of all time.

It's sad, really...

I don't think Blair stayed in the theaters nearly as long as MBFGW though, did it?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Get off my island
MBFGW rocks all over TBWP

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!