The 4th Short Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I caught another one, The Three Stooges Pop Goes the Easel

I looked for it at Youtube, and geez they were crappy videos, grainy and even worse the Stooges heads were cut off, which I assume was not part of their act

I knew Ed had supplied a link to Dailymotion, but that site doesn't like my computer for some reason I could play the video on my computer, but if I shut it off to watch later, all the videos on Dailymotion would then say "sorry there was a problem".

This always happens! but this time I decided to conquer the problem. So after fiddling around, I learned I have to clear all my cookies before using Dailymotion....

But still I like to watch on my TV and I can't stream Dailymotion to my TV, so I finally learned of a way to do that and now I can watch Dailymotion on the big TV!

The Three Stooges?
great fun to see that in a fully restored and digital colored process. It looked great! Thanks Ed for the nom.

I'm glad you were able to fix your Dailymotion issues, and that The Three Stooges video "looked great", but did you like it?

I'm glad you were able to fix your Dailymotion issues, and that The Three Stooges video "looked great", but did you like it?
I did like them...and I thought maybe I wouldn't. I hadn't seen the Three Stooges since one of their early appearances as Ted Healy and His Stooges in 1933's Dancing Lady, with Joan Crawford. I've seen them in a couple other things when they worked with Ted Healy, I prefer them off in their own world and not as side kicks to Ted Healy. Moe's my favorite Stooge, he's the only smart one. Though Larry is pretty cool and Curly is just plain nuts! It was a fun short.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joan and Larry Dancing Lady 1933.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	30184  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
love that photo, CR!!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Who said Joan Crawford wasn't hot
No one ever.
You should check out Feud, CR. Very well done.

I heard about that show from Gideon, but I don't have TV. So I will have to wait until it comes to DVD.
Yeh Gid loved it.
The acting is phenomenal, and they got the retro look down pat without going overboard IMO. Really good show.

three more and these are great, varied examples of old time comedy

Three Stooges; Pop Goes the Easel with this being mine I'm a wee bit on the bias side with it. With the Stooges they are, primarily, a very physical comedy: slapping, hitting, eye-poking and with this one there is plenty of that. Along with that there is some great lil vaudevillian comedic lines and jokes. Not sure why, but an all time favorite is Curly getting hit and remarking, each time, "Lookit da grouse." I still laugh at it.
There is also a short drag bit as they continue to run from a cop and it is all wrapped up with a variation to the pie-fight using clumps of clay.

Harold Lloyd; Never Weaken
I have only gotten to see bits of Lloyd films so to see one in its entirety was truly great. Loved the scenes on the skyscraper and the lil scam about healing the acrobat was priceless. Thanks @SilentVamp for this!

and finally, a favorite since childhood. . .

Charlie Chaplin; A Dog's Life I have, and always will, adore Chaplin. Especially his shorts, and this was a truly great one. It contains all the magic that I've enjoyed with him. Taking on bullies, falling in love, getting in and out of scrapes and a wonderful happy ending.
One amusing bit I noticed, the city block they used was the exact same one they had in City Lights and possibly one or two others. Kinda cool that.
Can't remember when I saw this last, so thanks for nominating it, @Camo!!

A dogs life is next for me. I need something sweet

Harold Lloyd; Never Give Up I have only gotten to see bits of Lloyd films so to see one in its entirety was truly great. Loved the scenes on the skyscraper and the lil scam about healing the acrobat was priceless. Thanks @SilentVamp for this!

I think the Harold Lloyd short was called "Never Weaken", not "Never Give Up", but I agree that it was a good one.

The only part that bothered me was after he mixed sugar into the poison, he put the spoon he used to mix the poison back into the sugar bowl.

Everything Will Be OK (2006)
Dir. Don Hertzfeldt

I really wish I had looked into what this short film was about before watching it, because even at the end I was unsure of what point the film was trying to convey. I figured it had something to do with mental illness or possibly other health concerns, but was completely lost as to what exactly it was portraying. Perhaps it wasn't explicitly trying to show any particular condition, but rather the effects it had on Bill, and my attempts to understand what was actually happening caused me to miss the point entirely.

I didn't really like the narrator at the start, but about halfway through my opinion improved to thinking he was alright. I could recognize some attempts at humour throughout the film, but I didn't find them amusing even though I normally enjoy deadpan delivery. The scenes where things became overwhelming, and noises started to get loud and drown out the narration were wholly unpleasant to watch, and put me in a very bitter mood that made it difficult to enjoy the other parts of the film. I will likely revisit this before finalizing my list because I really feel as if I had the wrong experience with it.

Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor / カフカ 田舎医者 (2007)
Dir. Kōji Yamamura

While I generally only have a passing familiarity with Kafka's work, I have actually read Ein Landarzt, the short story upon which this film is based. The art style of A Country Doctor visualizes the surreal elements of the story in a very extreme way that is strangely compelling to watch. Despite being highly stylized, this film feels like a very accurate representation of the source material, particularly with the absurdist and existentialist readings of it. I imagine that those unfamiliar with the concepts that Kafka frequently visits in his writing will likely find this short to be incredibly strange, but hopefully it's not indecipherable.

I think the Harold Lloyd short was called "Never Weaken", not "Never Give Up", but I agree that it was a good one.

The only part that bothered me was after he mixed sugar into the poison, he put the spoon he used to mix the poison back into the sugar bowl.
need to correct the title, THANKS!
and didn't notice that bit about the spoon - that's messed up lol

Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor / カフカ 田舎医者 (2007)
Dir. Kōji Yamamura

While I generally only have a passing familiarity with Kafka's work, I have actually read Ein Landarzt, the short story upon which this film is based. The art style of A Country Doctor visualizes the surreal elements of the story in a very extreme way that is strangely compelling to watch. Despite being highly stylized, this film feels like a very accurate representation of the source material, particularly with the absurdist and existentialist readings of it. I imagine that those unfamiliar with the concepts that Kafka frequently visits in his writing will likely find this short to be incredibly strange, but hopefully it's not indecipherable.
I was VERY curious to hear if the animation WAS a good visual of Kafka's writing style. Very happy to hear that it was.
THANKS

Disqualifying myself from this HOF. Sorry guys. Enjoy.

need to correct the title, THANKS!
and didn't notice that bit about the spoon - that's messed up lol

I usually notice little things like that because I want to correct them, so they drive me nuts.

The most recent one was in a rerun of an old episode of the TV show "Frasier" last night. In one scene, Frasier wanted to have a serious conversation with his father, but his father kept turning on the TV, so Frasier unplugged the TV so he could have the conversation. Then at the end of the scene, his father just turned the TV on with the remote control, without plugging it in first. )

Dani, aren't you really close to finishing anyway? It seems strange to drop out now.
Cos, I finished the last of them this morning, hon. I'm just bowing out. This was fun but obviously not my cup of tea for other reasons.

I usually notice little things like that because I want to correct them, so they drive me nuts.

The most recent one was in a rerun of an old episode of the TV show "Frasier" last night. In one scene, Frasier wanted to have a serious conversation with his father, but his father kept turning on the TV, so Frasier unplugged the TV so he could have the conversation. Then at the end of the scene, his father just turned the TV on with the remote control, without plugging it in first. )
we do the same thing at my house. Sometimes we actually have to make verbal promises to stop during something should it get too bad lol

sorry to hear about the troubles with @Dani8 and @Camo, got a lot of love and respect for ya and if I attempt to weight in or try to assist I'm more afraid of causing more harm than bringing assistance. So all I can do is type out these words of support to both of you, and please, take sweet care, both of you.