Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

Spider-Man -
+
(Sam Raimi, 2002)

[REWATCH]

Possibly my favorite superhero film. Yeah, nostalgia plays a big part in it - this movie was my jam as a kid. I wanted to be Spiderman! But it held up incredibly well for me now as an adult too. I want to be Spiderman again!

No, but really, it’s a great flick. There’s something so incredibly pure about it. It’s the most comic booky comic book movie there ever was. Willem Defoe as Green Goblin is one of the better cinematic superhero villains I’ve seen, and it’s a great origins story to boot.

Baby Driver -

(Edgar Wright, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

One of the best theater experiences of my life, and a new personal favorite. Cinematically orgasmic. Revolutionary use of music and style. Wears it’s influences on it’s sleeves and still manages to make something unique with them. Of it’s time completely, and in the best possible way. Confirms what many of us already had a hunch about: Edgar Wright as glorious auteur director.

Spider-Man 3 -
+
(Sam Raimi, 2007)

[REWATCH]

You know, it’s not terrible. There is a good film in this, somewhere. It's just immensely disappointing after the first two. Because it’s loaded with problems. I have a feeling studio interference got in the way big time. I am pretty sure I remember reading that Raimi didn’t want Venom in the movie. And why the hell was he? I know, fan service, but it still sucks. It lacks the thematic and emotional purity of the first two films, which were a big draw of them for me.

My least favorite thing about the flick though is how out of character everyone feels. Especially Peter. Where I connected to him in the other two, here he becomes a total prick. Even without the symbiote. One of the worst moments was when he hit Mary Jane. It’s hard to come back from that, and have him redeem himself. And I never really felt he did. He became villainous there, and I know it was the symbiote and not really Peter, but the audience doesn’t see the alien goo hitting Mary Jane, they see Peter hitting her and it leaves an impression. It just made me dislike Peter, and I never came back to respecting him after that.

I really like Sandman though (minus his connection to Uncle Ben). And the scenes with Aunt May. Like I said, there was a good movie here…. but it feels like heads were bumping in the making, which ruined it.

Side-note: In context it’s out of place, but out of context the dance scene in the the restaurant, where Peter takes Gwen Stacy out, is freaking awesome.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I never quite got the hate for 3. Not great, but it's watchable for me. 2 is the best though.

I hope this reboot is worth it.

Baby Driver -

(Edgar Wright, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

One of the best theater experiences of my life, and a new personal favorite. Cinematically orgasmic. Revolutionary use of music and style. Wears it’s influences on it’s sleeves and still manages to make something unique with them. Of it’s time completely, and in the best possible way. Confirms what many of us already had a hunch about: Edgar Wright as glorious auteur director.
[/center]
I simply cannot wait to watch this. I'm already a huge fan of Edgar Wright and the critics just hype me up.

Welcome to the human race...
I still need to wait another 2 weeks for Baby Driver. It's...*puts on sunglasses*...driving me crazy.

Master of My Domain

Baby Driver -

(Edgar Wright, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

HNNNNG I want to see this so badly. I love Edgar Wright and everything's he done so far (including the underrated Scott Pilgrim).

Signs -
+
(M. Night Shyamalan, 2002)

[REWATCH]

Ugh, it totally pained me watching this now. Why? Because this film was my jam as a kid. I remember seeing it in theater and puking because it scared me so much (I’ve told this story before), but then got it for Christmas and became completely obsessed with the film, M. Night Shyamalan, and filmmaking itself. This is one of two movies I consider the reason for my interest in the medium. So it sucks watching it now, and seeing how it’s really… not that good. I mean, conceptually it’s pretty cool. There are some powerful emotional moments that I still love. But all that is sadly overshadowed by the stilted performances, poor dialogue, and just some f*cking weird directorial decisions. I thank this film for the impact it had on me, of course. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without it. But it’s not that great of a movie. Not to me. Not anymore.

The Beguiled -
+
(Sofia Coppola, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

A wonderful little film. It never reached a sublime level really, but I was still able to admire it considerably while watching. Best part? Kirstin Dunst. Oscar-worthy but also glance-and-you-might-miss-it’s-greatness subtle. That glazed and indifferent facial expression she had throughout just broke my heart, and helped create a really well-drawn character.

Unbreakable -

(M. Night Shyamalan, 2000)

[REWATCH]

In the context of superhero cinema, which really went wild in the 2000’s and since, this could almost be seen as some sort of prologue to the boom. It’s superhero mythology not made realistic - I don’t believe this film is meant to be realistic - but deglamorized and unexaggerated. A film that sums up the genre in a very brilliant way. It’s practically a stroke of genius, honestly. Yeah! When Shyamalan is good, he's real good.

John Wick -
-
(Chad Stahelski & David Leitch, 2014)

[NEW WATCH]

I kind of watched this on autopilot, because it’s not really my kind of film. But you know, I respect it for knowing it’s place. Never seemed to be reaching for greatness, and if all the filmmakers wanted was to create a tightly-focused action flick that entertained in a very pure way, and no more, then they did a pretty decent job. I also enjoy Keanu a lot, always and forever.

About the movies, I agree about a lot of your comments on them. Spider-Man is still good and fun and the second best spider film released. There is definitely something about the whole atmosphere and style, which compared with nostalgia, makes it a great watch for me as well.Spider-Man 3 is indeed a huge disappointment and the studio interference is clear. It's big, bloated, messy, confused and ruins quite a lot the previous movies build up. A shame.

Awesome you liked Baby Driver too. I just saw it this Wednesday, but I'm going again today with a friend. I don't think it's a perfect movie, there is quite a few things wrong with it, but the energy it has, the style and the overall theatre experience is hard to beat. One of the best I've had lately.

Shame about Signs. I've tried the same with some of the movies that meant a lot for how I got into cinema. Benjamin Button was one of those for me, but I actually haven't seen it in a long time, I wonder how it does now. Unbreakable is great indeed. I'm looking forward to The Beguiled quite a bit. Glad to see it's looking to be good. I kinda feel the same way about John Wick, though I gave it a lower rating. I actually love action, but there was something "off" about that one. Weirdly though, I liked the sequel quite a lot. It was more of what I wanted from the first.

Went and saw The Beguiled last night. There is nothing wrong with it on a technical level at all. There was also nothing about it that grabbed me. I usually love Dunst but this character didn't do much for me.

Seeing Baby Driver in a couple hours so I will check back in. Cool to see you enjoying the comic fare a bit. I think by now you know I don't love them but I am almost always entertained. I agree, Spider-Man 3 is a pile.

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring -
+
(Peter Jackson, 2001)

[REWATCH]

Absolutely stunning filmmaking, some of the best of all-time in my opinion. This film and it’s sequels (which I’m currently working through) feel absolutely timeless. As much as I admire the trilogy it lacks the punch it did as a kid, solely because they’ve been ingrained beat by beat into my brain. It’s a bummer. I think if this was the first time I saw them, they’d be easy 5’s.

Turbo Kid -
+
(Anouk Whissell, François Simard & Yoann-Karl Whissell, 2015)

[NEW WATCH]

An awfully-made pastiche of 80’s stuff that never felt like anything new or interesting. Apple was my least favorite part, incredibly annoying with no real sense of her own character. What’s that trope called? Oh yeah, Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

*Makes fart noise*

Th Village -
+
(M. Night Shyamalan, 2004)

[REWATCH]

The Village is a film that seems to be more and more praise as time goes on. And for good reason. It’s a powerful one with great emotional poignancy. And because Shyamalan interweaves that emotional poignancy really well into the ending and it’s twist, that particular part actually ends up working really well. In fact, the last twenty-thirty minute section is my favorite part of the film. I’m a little conflicted about the twist itself because it is very predictable. But surprisingly, the execution is so good that the predictability doesn’t really matter to me.

My only other issue is probably the main thing that keeps me from thinking this is an outright masterpiece. I can forgive the twist being predictable. But the way in which the characters did speak felt farce.

On a certain level it kind of works when you think about it, I guess, because it fits into the story. It even kind of makes sense that the adult characters sound like they’re forcing it, because, you know - twist. But in execution it just becomes a little cringe-worthy. And that’s an important thing to note. Something can work on an intellectual level but if it simply doesn’t feel right, then you’re going to lose a bit of steam.

Which sucks. Because honestly, this flick is pretty awesome. Errr, I should say… this motion picture is a joyous occasion with which we all must celebrate splendidly!

Welcome to the human race...
Oof, I actually liked Turbo Kid. It's not perfect or anything but it's certainly a cut above most modern attempts to do genre throwbacks.

Yeah I seem to be in the minority in disliking it. Which is honestly a little shocking to me - but to each their own!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.