your favorite car chase?

Tools    

There are a lot, though for you, does one particular car chase stand out amongst the rest?

To Live and Die in L.A. (1985 - William Friedkin)

Going the wrong way on the freeway Billy Friedkin even outdid his own magnificence under the El in The French Connection, which is saying an awful lot. The chase that is the centerpiece of To Live and Die in L.A. is woefully underrated, as is the entire movie. A great, mean, pessimistic cop flick, man.

After those two, I'd say The Blues Brothers, Freebie & The Bean and the original The Italian Job as a top five. Bullitt, The Seven-Ups and Vanishing Point would be just off my list there as honorable mentions, and the stuff in the Bourne Identity remake is good too for one from recent years.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

To Live and Die in L.A. would probably be mine too.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
The car chase in Ronin is ridiculously good I would even consider it better than the chase in The French Connection. Matrix Reloaded also has a superb car chase.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Oh man before I even got into this thread I was going to say:

To Live and Die in L.A.

Unlike most chase sequences where its just a series of neat sequences which are generally unsurprising or even expected. This one was genuinely thrilling, suspenseful and had a number of suprises.

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
The car chase in Ronin is ridiculously good I would even consider it better than the chase in The French Connection. Matrix Reloaded also has a superb car chase.
Many of the moves and the very idea of going against traffic on a major highway that is the heart of the Ronin chase is lifted right out of To Live and Die in L.A.

It was done first and done better more than a decade before Ronin.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Many of the moves and the very idea of going against traffic on a major highway that is the heart of the Ronin chase is lifted right out of To Live and Die in L.A.

It was done first and done better more than a decade before Ronin.
I disagree with the done better a decade ago part but there ya go

Holden has already mentioned the greats, but I just gotta mention the ONE scene that was worth a **** in that craptapular mess called Gone in 60 Seconds where the car is hammered through a wall. Pretty cool. Of course, it didn't make up for the other 90 minutes of garbage, but at least it was a start.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Taxi also had good chases

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
My favorite is Bullitt.

The common link between The French Connection, The Seven-Ups, Vanishing Point , and Bullitt is stunt driver Bill Hickman.

Others not mentioned;

The Man With the Golden Gun, featuring a ramp to ramp corkscrew jump.

The Driver

Smokey and the Bandit

The worst car chase is in McQ, John Wayne in a Trans Am chasing a bread truck?!

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Holden has already mentioned the greats, but I just gotta mention the ONE scene that was worth a **** in that craptapular mess called Gone in 60 Seconds where the car is hammered through a wall. Pretty cool. Of course, it didn't make up for the other 90 minutes of garbage, but at least it was a start.
Another craptapular film by H.B. Halicki is The Junkman.

It holds the Guinness World Record for most number of vehicles/planes wrecked in one movie.

This may not rate as a car chase as such, anyho, the one in Blind Date where the guy is driving the car and a monkey puts its hands over his eyes and he runs into a paint shop.

Where's my Vodka Martini
My favourite Car Chases are:

Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Licence To Kill
Die Another Day (because it's original)
The French Connection I
Bullit
Taxi (the original french version)
Taxi 2
Gone In 60 Seconds (the 1974 version)
Ronin
Brannigan
The Driver (Why has nobody mentioned this film, it's brilliant )

"There's only one airbag in this car......and it's on my side"

Here to support the villians.......
Ronin definetly, a quality car chase

Originally Posted by Loner
Another craptapular film by H.B. Halicki is The Junkman.
I'm pretty sure Slay was referring to the 2000 Dominic Sena re-make with Nic Cage.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Dr West
The Driver (Why has nobody mentioned this film, it's brilliant )

Originally Posted by Loner
The Driver
I have no idea.

btw Holden when I said Taxi I meant the 1998 version. The only reason I have even seen/heard of the remake is because they played it on a transatlantic flight and I wasn't impressed.

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
btw Holden when I said Taxi I meant the 1998 version. The only reason I have even seen/heard of the remake is because they played it on a transatlantic flight and I wasn't impressed.
Thank goodness. The original flick is so much fun, everything most Hollywood action flicks aren't these days. The remake is a smoldering turd and a perfect example of the mind-numbing dullness coming out of the mainstream of late.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Thank goodness. The original flick is so much fun, everything most Hollywood action flicks aren't these days. The remake is a smoldering turd and a perfect example of the mind-numbing dullness coming out of the mainstream of late.

The remake would insult the intelligence of a retard. Why was this festering piece of crap made in the first place?