Sleezy casts the Justice League

Tools    

Armie still has a scope to grow as an actor, probably with age he might grow into Superman's character. But not something I would bet on.

I am sorry Sleezy, we might have to hold back on the plans for your Justice League movie, until you find us a better Superman.
Why not Joe Manganiello for Superman, I get that you are looking for a younger Superman.

In the Beginning...
I don't feel that Joe Manganiello has the range of presence and emotion that Armie Hammer has. He certainly looks the part, to some extent (although unshaven I think he looks a bit too "South Beach" for Superman), but he's not that much of an actor and doesn't feel like a leading man to me.

Again, I'm the first to admit that Armie Hammer isn't ideal. But I tried to cast to the character and right now I think he's is the best option for bringing the qualities of Superman that I'd like to see to film.

In the Beginning...
Why not Joe Manganiello for Superman
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I feel like I wouldn't be opposed to Joe Manganiello playing Superman. Unfortunately, True Blood is the only major screen role he's given us thus far, and I don't feel like his performance on that show is particularly strong. But I've just watched several interviews with him and I think there could be a better actor in there than I'm giving him credit for.

I still think Armie Hammer (and to some extent, Henry Cavill) trumps him in that category, but I'd be lying if I said Joe Manganiello doesn't at least look like Superman has just stepped off the page. I still think he looks a little too much like a Miami surfer dude (or worse yet, a Jersey Jock a la "The Situation.") But he deserves a shot at the role all the same.

In the Beginning...
Yeah, I wanted to avoid casting Manganiello simply because he's big, muscular, handsome, and he has black hair. Superman is easily the most critical role in a Justice League film, so the guy who gets the role has to have some acting chops. It's Superman's journey, after all, that defines what the Justice League ultimately is. Without his leadership, the League doesn't exist.

I would recommend watching some of his True Blood episodes. He's fairly one dimensional in that show, so I think you'll see why I was hesitant to cast him. He feels like a career television actor, not a talented leading film star. But again, he's not been given the roles to really evaluate him for such.