Best/Favourite Foreign Film Director

Tools    

Who's the best foreign film director in your opinion?

I haven't watched a ton of foreign films, so I can't really judge. Although right now, I like Jean-Pierre Melville a lot. I've watched some Bergman films. I think he's pretty good, but they're quite a bore. His films are more artistic and philosophical. I've watched some Kurosawa films and I did not like them at all. I find him to be overrated, but others beg to differ. Bicycle Thieves by Vittorio De Sica was alright, but not great. Aguirre: the Wrath of God is more artistic than anything. I'm still trying to get into foreign films, but they're very difficult to find.

I'm stuck between Ingmar Bergman and Dario Argento. Bergman's films are very good, and Argento's aren't (depends on the movie) BUT Argento's are amongst the most visually spectacular I've ever seen. I think I'll go with Argento, 'cause he's made several of my favorite horror movies.

Just speaking of those living and still working, I'd say Godarrrr (though he is easily past his greatest creations), Hou/Yang, and Von Trier too.

Aw man.

I guess I just never made the connections.

Emir Kusturica

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
IMO it has to be Chan-wook Park, the vengeance trilogy is so well made, something I think everyone should see.

Oldboy

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Lady Vengeance

I just watched Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders and thought it was awfully boring. The script was too pretentious and poetic.

My favorite is probably Werner Herzog, but Jean-Pierre Melville might be a close second. Chan-wook Park is probably up there as well, along with Kurosawa.

Jean-Pierre Melville is amazing. I'm ordering movies from Andrei Tarkovsky and Luis Bunuel right now. Hopefully, their movies will amaze me.

Jean-Pierre Melville is amazing. I'm ordering movies from Andrei Tarkovsky and Luis Bunuel right now. Hopefully, their movies will amaze me.
I'm not a big fan of Bunuel, but his work is definitely worth seeing. As for Tarkovsky, he's in a league of his own. A fantastic director.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely check out everything you guys have mentioned.

@Justin: Really? I hope I enjoy Bunuel'sy works. I've been hearing so many amazing things. I hope my expectations don't fail. I hope to also enjoy Tarkovsky's work. Many have said that he's quite long and boring though.

I hope I enjoy Bunuel'sy works. I've been hearing so many amazing things. I hope my expectations don't fail. I hope to also enjoy Tarkovsky's work.
Hoping is the first step to disappointment. Have fun!

+1
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."