MST3K: Anti-cinema?

Tools    

That's my kind of movie!
I can't wait for the sequel: Tarantula II: Tarantulas!

Ex-cons, Andy and his best friend Red run a small charter fishing boat operation off a hard-to-pronounce beach in Mexico. Far offshore, nuclear tests conducted by the U.S. military cause radiation to travel toward the coast. Soon the two boatmates and their guests (including a wealthy investor and his wife, along with a beautiful spokesmodel, an innovative scientist, and the girl next door) must fight off swarms of radiation-mutated, giant, hairy tarantulas or die trying!
Trapped between terror and the deep blue sea, can anyone survive the onslaught of the Tarantulas of Zihuatanejo?

Coming in 2025!

Ex-cons, Andy and his best friend Red run a small charter fishing boat operation off a hard-to-pronounce beach in Mexico. Far offshore, nuclear tests conducted by the U.S. military cause radiation to travel toward the coast. Soon the two boatmates and their guests (including a wealthy investor and his wife, a scientist, a beautiful spokesmodel, and the girl next door) must fight off swarms of radiation-mutated, giant, hairy tarantulas or die trying!
Trapped between terror and the deep blue sea, can anyone survive the onslaught of the Tarantulas of Zihuatanejo?

Coming in 2025!
Ha
Seriously they can't make a sequel that I'd like as the whole 1950s paranoia, b-movie vibe just wouldn't be there. The 1950s were a special time for sci-fi creature flicks, I treasure them like a vintage wine.

I'd settle for Tarantula: Arachnoid Boogaloo

I love MST3K. Happy that they have it running non-stop on youtube now. Also Best of the Worst and everything RLM does. Sometimes I just need to throw it on and play it for hours - channel my inner lowlife. Long live anti-cinema. Also I want the end music playing at my funeral.

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I would also like to add, as a lover of all types of art, I don't put any art piece above being repurposed, reappropriated, mutated or ridiculed.

The art world is not a fascistic order. It is an ongoing dialogue between those that create it and those that consume it. It's there to be bended to whatever will one chooses, both for better and worse.

MST is essentially using old and abandoned artworks and creating something new from them. As long as it isn't simultaneously incinerating the master copies, or taking credit for having made the original as well, it's all wonderfully fair game as far as I'm concerned.
This is the best response yet!

But when something happens with no intention, that means any quality it has is incidental

In this instance, we are talking about a person who hasn't learned how to use a camera. People can still have intentions about what they hope to say without technical expertise. And their lack of technical expertise can make them say it in ways that those who have it would never consider.

You might get something out of it, the same way someone might have a profound reaction to paint you accidentally spilled on a canvas, but it's not as likely.

Yes, accidentally spilled paint can possibly be beautiful, or make people have profound reactions. But that is for a different conversation. We are talking about people creating art, which at least requires the decision to document that spilled paint. Otherwise, it's just spilled paint that maybe no one would ever look at.

And, yes, probably some of the movies I would champion might not be much more than spilled paint that someone happened to turn their camera towards. But they aren't common. Most of these 'bad movies' I like have at least some intent behind what they are doing.

I think this is a sticking point, with both you and Minio: how much we should care about something being possible

But is it actually only possible if it actually is? I'm not some dummy just wanting to be duped. And I presume neither is Minio. And both of us, as well as many others who watch lots and lots of things, are no strangers to suddenly stopping and taking notice of what is happening in one of these supposedly bad movies that no one has apparently noticed. Something we haven't seen in anything else. That's definitely something.

Now it isn't that we are techincally right in noticing it. Or that anyone else must notice it. But if we are compelled to point at it, after seeing so many other things we don't have any remote interest in pointing at, it cant' just possibly be something. It is something.

The concern, it seems, is that if people expect these films to be bad, they won't give any of them a chance and will miss out on some meaningful (if unlikely) experience.

It you were to randomly grab some forgotten b movie from whatever decade, yes, there is a good chance it isn't going to be any kind of revelation. And there is also a better than decent chance it might be terrible. Most movies, no matter their pedigree, are probably going to be misses for any one individual.

But by just pushing all of these kinds of films into the 'bad' category before anyone watches them makes it very hard to ever take any of them seriously.

Keeping in mind that I support MST wholeheartedly, the chance that anyone can watch one of these movies they are riffing on, and actually even remotely see the movie past its framing is actually impossible. Maybe that riffing might keep you on board longer than you normally would, but other than this, no one (including myself) is watching those movies in that context to watch the movies. No one. Zero. They are watching the movies exclusively as a springboard for these three guys in the audience to make fun of. And if this attitude bleeds out from simply this one show (which it does, but it also is an attitude that existed long before it as well....but maybe it's now move prevelant) it is the attitude most people are going to have before they even put on one of these films.

And let me be clear, I think it is totally fine to put on one of these movies simply to have friends in and laugh at them. Not take them remotely seriously. But if this is the only time a person watches these movies, how likely is it that they are thinking about the deeper implications of how this movie was made? Appreciating bad movies seriously isn't a whim, as Minio says, it takes some amount of paying attention. And if what the audience is looking for is the next open doorway to make fun of it....um, it's never going to be considered as more than a butt of a joke, is it?

To me, the most valuable and enriching thing about art is the exploration of other minds, which necessarily means having a mind at work on the other end.

And I think this is a perfect example of the kind of derogatory thinking that is attached to b movies right off the bat: the belief that there is no mind on the other end. Because the film might be cheap, or silly, or hard to follow, or technically inept, the people making this don't have anything to show.

But they do. Not all the time. But way more, way way more, than I think you, or most people, would ever give them credit.

Because if someone genuinely thought meaning was just as likely to arise out of randomness, they'd have no reason to seek out art over anything else.

I think there is meaning in randomness, and I still seek out art. Art that is both deliberate and random.

Because it is never entirely random, is it? It's selectively random. They are still choosing what they show and what they don't show. It's not like the movie you are watching is everything they shot. They cut out what they didn't believe worked, and they kept in what they think did (ideally)

I make an important distinction between "amateurism" and, for lack of a better word, laziness.

I'm not here to defend laziness. I think there are very very few movies that I would say are good that I would ever define as lazy. I abhor laziness.

And I've got to say that I think you moving towards a defining word like 'lazy' says a lot. Just because an artist is not interested in doing a number of things well that maybe you think should be done well, doesn't mean they aren't expending energy elsewhere. It doesn't mean they are lazy.

And I would also like to make a distinction between intent and thought. I agree a lot of great things in art were unintended, but I think far fewer were thoughtless.

I think there can be intent without a lot of thought. I think someone can instinctively know what they want, and they just try and get it, without really knowing why.

Maybe some of these movies I might love don't all build towards some kind of accumulated ball of wisdom, but they move from one spontaneously bright and fiery moment to the next. They live in a moment where they don't know where they are going, but they know they want to say something.

Basically, intent and thought can be worlds apart sometimes.

I think it's relevant that both examples involve professionals snapping themselves out of their routine, so to speak, but then applying their expertise and thoughtfulness back to the messy result in some way.

This is a fair distinction, and I agree the analogy isn't perfect, but what I was trying to illustrate is that even if attached to a great artistic mind, a left hand isn't necessarily possessed with any artistic talent. But it can be motivated by artistic intent, and it's awkward movements can have a life and vitality of their own.

Tommy Wiseau did the camera thing (he apparently exclaimed "we'll be making film history!"), but I think for our purposes either's probably as good as the other.

For me The Room is a movie that is good to laugh at and nothing more. Now maybe others have more to say about Wiseau and his artistry, but I actually think he's mostly rightfully considered terrible. His movie is lifeless and cynical and dead. And, yes, it would also be very hard to explain this distinction between him and Breen, but I think it could be done.

What's interesting about this is that the work is valuable for reasons outside of itself. You say it "captures [a] worldview," and I agree with that, but that almost makes it sound like a documentary. I probably need to think more about this (feel free to do the thinking for me if it's crystallized already on your end), but there's something important here about valuing films as time capsules, as useful in some way, compared to valuing them as emotional experiences in and of themselves.

The question I would ask about this is do you believe there would ever be a more comprehensive and maybe even somehow sympathetic way to understand who Neil Breen is, and the type of man he represents, than through him making these weird movies?

Do you think him talking about his ideas at a Ted Talk would really tell you anything about him beyond the fact that he's an insufferable crackpot. And probably also a very boring one if talking for more than five minutes at a time?

Him making his films the way he does, and as badly as he does, crystallizes that man. And sort of humanizes him as well. All because of his 'artistry'.

The one where they did it because they looked at the runtime and thought it didn't seem movie-y enough and included it just to make that number go up, because they wanted to be taken seriously.

This is an obviously bad way to make choices for your film. And I think your right that the context of the reason is fair to disqualify his decision to include all of those shots. But I mention Tarkovsky simply because many people would discount the rationale of doing such a thing for any reason at all. Almost as if the depiction of real time in a film is some kind of sin. But it shouldn't be considered to be innately so. So if someone wants to talk about how those opening scenes of Manos add to the films overall effect, I'm all ears.

But, no, I'm not going to be the one to do that.

The rest of the movie is pretty good though.

Tourists, people with nothing to say, people in filmmaking for fame or prestige or money, as soulless as any studio accountant. Does that mean they can't accidentally make something interesting? Nope.

Of course those people can accidentally make something interesting. If only they were allowed to have more accidents, maybe it would happen eventually.

and I wouldn't expect you to change your posture towards it based on the odd exception.

And I'm not expecting you to change your stance on 'bad movies'. They are a hard sell, and I am an outlier amongst every one I know on these feelings of mine. And I'm okay staying that way.

The only thing I ever ask in these discussions is an openness to discuss the merit of these movies without simply being swatted down with 'but bad movies bad'. Because then I have to start lighting fires.

I [am now curious about how this sentence ends].

That was the exactly moment my manager walked into the closet where I was hiding and things had to be quickly ended. Normally I would never allow such

Ha
Seriously they can't make a sequel that I'd like as the whole 1950s paranoia, b-movie vibe just wouldn't be there. The 1950s were a special time for sci-fi creature flicks, I treasure them like a vintage wine.
Yeah...for sure. When I was a kid, I watched them on a broadcast station from DC that required aluminum foil on the rabbit ears. Now I have them on DVD. It's not everyday stuff, but now and again, I need to watch one of those, movies like The Killer Shrews, The Giant Leeches, Monstroid or The Brain That Wouldn't Die. We also had a station in Baltimore, that had the immortal "Ghost Host". They had the same video every week, although the Host mentioned a different movie.

Sorry this is weeks later, catching up on all sorts of things. Feel free to disregard a lot of this and just reply to the parts you feel you have the most to say about. Or not. Either way.

But is it actually only possible if it actually is? I'm not some dummy just wanting to be duped. And I presume neither is Minio. And both of us, as well as many others who watch lots and lots of things, are no strangers to suddenly stopping and taking notice of what is happening in one of these supposedly bad movies that no one has apparently noticed. Something we haven't seen in anything else. That's definitely something.

Now it isn't that we are techincally right in noticing it. Or that anyone else must notice it. But if we are compelled to point at it, after seeing so many other things we don't have any remote interest in pointing at, it cant' just possibly be something. It is something.
Saying it's "possible" is in reference to what Minio is saying about how you should watch the awful films normally before you watch them be made fun of (there's an implication the whole idea is somehow wrong, too, but he seems to find it particularly wrong to not see the film the "right" way first). Before you've seen it, you have no idea if it'll contain some kind of surprisingly brilliant subversion of convention, or what have you. So you would have to decide to watch it "for real" first out of mere possibility.

We probably already agree on this point (that it's fine to only watch the film with the riffs overlaid), this is just me clarifying what I mean by possibility.

But by just pushing all of these kinds of films into the 'bad' category before anyone watches them makes it very hard to ever take any of them seriously.
At a certain point it just comes down to trusting people, I guess. I think I can watch a bad film being made fun of and still notice if it has something kind of neat about it. I don't think the jokes overlaid render me incapable of evaluating the thing they're making fun of. I'll admit it's a slight barrier to that, but only a very slight one, I think.

And let me be clear, I think it is totally fine to put on one of these movies simply to have friends in and laugh at them. Not take them remotely seriously. But if this is the only time a person watches these movies, how likely is it that they are thinking about the deeper implications of how this movie was made? Appreciating bad movies seriously isn't a whim, as Minio says, it takes some amount of paying attention. And if what the audience is looking for is the next open doorway to make fun of it....um, it's never going to be considered as more than a butt of a joke, is it?
Yep, all true. But we can only do one thing at once and I'm okay with people playing the odds. What I object to is the seeming belief that doing this carries some special risk with it, whereas the alternative does not. They all have costs. Every awful movie someone watches seriously just in case it has something to say is another movie they're not watching that would probably be better. And that's not me trying to talk anyone out of doing that: do whatever you want! I just don't like the pretense that this is somehow better or purer. We're all on a clock here and we're all giving something up every time we choose to watch one thing rather than another.

And I think this is a perfect example of the kind of derogatory thinking that is attached to b movies right off the bat: the belief that there is no mind on the other end. Because the film might be cheap, or silly, or hard to follow, or technically inept, the people making this don't have anything to show.
When I say I want a mind at work, I don't mean that people are making movies without thinking at all. I mean a mind just trying to make any connection or expression at all. "I want people to feel X" is valid and good and constitutes a mind at work even if it's completely awful at creating that feeling. "I want to make a movie because I think it'll make me look cool" is something else. Theoretically any terrible motive can lead to something good, but everyone needs their rubric, and that's mine: I want, at minimum, to know that the person on the other end is trying to reach people, trying to convey something. If they're not doing that, I'll take my chances with people who are, instead.

And I've got to say that I think you moving towards a defining word like 'lazy' says a lot. Just because an artist is not interested in doing a number of things well that maybe you think should be done well, doesn't mean they aren't expending energy elsewhere. It doesn't mean they are lazy.
Correct. I'm using the word to mean actual laziness, not a mere shift of emphasis from something I care about to something they care about. I respect intent and effort, however ineffectual.

Part of the issue here might be that I'm thinking of different bad films than you are. Some bad films seem to involve a ton of effort. I'd actually say those are the funnier ones, since it's the massive gulf between earnest ambition and reality that sometimes enables the comedy.

Basically, intent and thought can be worlds apart sometimes.
Definitely, and that's why I like the distinction. "This feels important" is still intent. Being vaguely pulled towards something still counts as thought here, too. But padding your runtime because you think it won't seem like a legitimate film if it's less than an hour is not putting thought behind your work, IMO.

This is a fair distinction, and I agree the analogy isn't perfect, but what I was trying to illustrate is that even if attached to a great artistic mind, a left hand isn't necessarily possessed with any artistic talent. But it can be motivated by artistic intent, and it's awkward movements can have a life and vitality of their own.
Understood, and I agree with the idea that artistic merit does not have total overlap with skill, and on some occasions is even inversely related.

For me The Room is a movie that is good to laugh at and nothing more. Now maybe others have more to say about Wiseau and his artistry, but I actually think he's mostly rightfully considered terrible. His movie is lifeless and cynical and dead. And, yes, it would also be very hard to explain this distinction between him and Breen, but I think it could be done.
Yeah, I'm definitely thinking of The Room with a lot of my responses here. There's a poseur quality that kind of irks me. I really dislike the attitude that wants to have done a thing but has no interest in what it means to actually do it, no appreciation for the process itself. To me, that attitude is artless. That it can stumble onto the profound by accident is worth keeping in the back of our minds, but that's about as much charity as I want to extend to it.

The question I would ask about this is do you believe there would ever be a more comprehensive and maybe even somehow sympathetic way to understand who Neil Breen is, and the type of man he represents, than through him making these weird movies?
Maybe not! But you don't need to convince me on this point; I'm already convinced it's valuable. I just think it's important to distinguish between art that is valuable in and of itself and art that's valuable because it's a useful snapshot of something. This is why I brought up documentaries, because a lot of them are valued primarily for the latter.

This is an obviously bad way to make choices for your film. And I think your right that the context of the reason is fair to disqualify his decision to include all of those shots. But I mention Tarkovsky simply because many people would discount the rationale of doing such a thing for any reason at all. Almost as if the depiction of real time in a film is some kind of sin. But it shouldn't be considered to be innately so. So if someone wants to talk about how those opening scenes of Manos add to the films overall effect, I'm all ears.

But, no, I'm not going to be the one to do that.

The rest of the movie is pretty good though.
Manos definitely has its moments. Torgo is silly, but he's also genuinely off-putting in a way that I give a little credit to. The Master has a helluva glare, too, and I think the big robe effect is kind of cool.

But I can notice and appreciate all these things even though I saw the film for the first time on MST3K.

And I'm not expecting you to change your stance on 'bad movies'. They are a hard sell, and I am an outlier amongst every one I know on these feelings of mine. And I'm okay staying that way.
Fair enough.

Also, I'll just float this like I do in so many of our exchanges: it feels like there's very little hard disagreement here, just a difference in emphasis or priority.

Without having read all of these comments in detail, I'd throw in some personal experience. I've met a couple people who were involved in making some really bad horror movies (neighbors who shall remain anonymous) and they were all pretty clear about what they did. In addition to that, having grown up around some of the cast members of early films of John Waters, it was the same for them. They are all smart people, involved in some really awful movie projects, but with complete awareness of just how awful these movies were. Of course, John Waters become famous and could hire some known actors but, from what I've heard, those actors went into the project with a chuckle and some ironic jokes.

Basically, for the unknowns, it was more fun to be on the set than to be off the set and they could have party chat about being in a movie with Tab Hunter, not to mention Johnny Depp. The real prize would be having been a movie with Divine.

As for the "anti-cinema" thing, of course all of those movies are the antithesis of Cinema (note the capital C), more than actually being anti-cinema. They have a different reason for being, don't expect Oscars or piles of money, and exist because of a sub-culture that likes movies like that.

We all need some junk in our life, otherwise we become self righteous. Shows like MST3K and my local equivalent, The Ghost Host, do that. Too much Citizen Kane will damage your neurons.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Before you've seen it, you have no idea if it'll contain some kind of surprisingly brilliant subversion of convention, or what have you. So you would have to decide to watch it "for real" first out of mere possibility.
You indeed have no idea. That's why you should watch all films in their original version as a rule of thumb. I think this is the main point of contention between us.

If you believe both of these at the same time, then you're obviously missing the engagement with the original work of art on its own and letting MST3K dictate what you should think about those films.
1. Some films don't deserve to be watched in their original version instead of the MST3K version.
2. Some films contain some kind of surprisingly brilliant subversion of convention, are ironically bad, or are actually quite fine if you give them a chance of an open-minded look not soiled with MST3K's convention.

There's a brilliant Korean masterpiece The Housemaid (1960). When it's screened here, people usually laugh hysterically at it. This film contains a little bit of satire, but it's not laugh-out-loud funny. It's the viewers who aren't experienced in old films from an Asian country that misinterpret it as hilarious, just like first-graders find silent cinema's expressive acting funny. Those people who didn't find The Housemaid funny and wanted to watch this film as a psychological thriller, which it mainly is, told me that they had their screening ruined by the laughing crowd. Some of them even noticed that they started laughing on their own, even though they didn't want to at first and were annoyed by people laughing. They let the majority convince them that the majority is right and they're indeed watching a comedy.

The obvious difference is that while you have no control over the crowd in the cinema, you have control over your choices at your own place. It's your choice whether you want to engage with the original work of art or want to watch it with MST3K's mocking commentary that inevitably can make you approach the film in a different way.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Anybody else never heard of MST3K? Or just me?
It's one of those old, syndicated, weekend night sci-fi-monster movie shows that used to happen on late night broadcast TV, generally when nothing else got ratings in that time slot. Such shows generally had some sort of costumed, wise-cracking host who reminded you that this was late night brain-rot junk to be watched when you were drinking beer and nodding off. Mystery Science Theater 3000 was one of the last of them that I knew about before we could stream anything anytime. It ended in 1999, although I'm sure you can stream those old episodes somewhere.

Movies featured there were the kind that subsequently also showed up on those "100 Scariest Movies" DVD sets that sold for about $10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myster...e_Theater_3000

It's one of those old, syndicated, weekend night sci-fi-monster movie shows that used to happen on late night broadcast TV, generally when nothing else got ratings in that time slot. Such shows generally had some sort of costumed, wise-cracking host who reminded you that this was late night brain-rot junk to be watched when you were drinking beer and nodding off. Mystery Science Theater 3000 was one of the last of them that I knew about before we could stream anything anytime. It ended in 1999, although I'm sure you can stream those old episodes somewhere.
No. While there were skits and action other than the movie itself, for "MST3K" characters appeared at the bottom of the screen in silhouette while the feature was running, making jokes about what was happening as it was happening. That was unique to them.

What you're talking about were local staples in many markets in the '50s and '60s up through the 1980s, where a host - often costumed - would introduce and present the film, appearing periodically during commercial breaks. This was parodied in the original Fright Night (1985), with Peter Vincent hosting old Horror movies. In my local market the creature features late Saturday nights on UHF were hosted by Count Gore de Vol (Dick Dyszel).

That is NOT what "MST3K" was doing.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Also worth noting that you don't have to go digging for it, it had a cult following that's become a, well, regular following, and was revived multiple times in various forms (Netflix, for example). There's also at least two reincarnations of the same idea by the people who were involved in the show itself, RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic. It's probably as big as it's ever been, as a genre.

No. While there were skits and action other than the movie itself, for "MST3K" characters appeared at the bottom of the screen in silhouette while the feature was running, making jokes about what was happening as it was happening. That was unique to them.

What you're talking about were local staples in many markets in the '50s and '60s up through the 1980s, where a host - often costumed - would introduce and present the film, appearing periodically during commercial breaks. This was parodied in the original Fright Night (1985), with Peter Vincent hosting old Horror movies. In my local market the creature features late Saturday nights on UHF were hosted by Count Gore de Vol (Dick Dyszel).

That is NOT what "MST3K" was doing.
MST3K was just the more well known syndicated version of all this with a bigger budget. Most of the earlier ones were completely local, like Baltimore's "Ghost Host", who in other hours, did the weather forecast for local news. He took off his nice suit, put on a creepy one and glued some hair to his face. The "production team" added some wolf howls and thunder into the soundstream and local used car lots queued up to lure in customers. This was mainly gone before 2K, not to mention 3K.

Anybody who ever saw "Shock Theater" recognized MST3K right away.

MST3K was just the more well known syndicated version of all this with a bigger budget. Most of the earlier ones were completely local, like Baltimore's "Ghost Host", who in other hours, did the weather forecast for local news. He took off his nice suit, put on a creepy one and glued some hair to his face. The "production team" added some wolf howls and thunder into the soundstream and local used car lots queued up to lure in customers. This was mainly gone before 2K, not to mention 3K.

Anybody who ever saw "Shock Theater" recognized MST3K right away.
Did they comment during/over the film itself? If not, I'd say they're pretty clearly distinct, even if it'd be reasonable to say the stuff you're talking about probably influenced MST3K and the things that have followed it.