! -The Lord of the Rings - !

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by TWTCommish
I wouldn't put it past you to say that. Right, Spud? Arghhh, Frodo's a-callin my name. I MUST SEE THE BALROG! A flippin' fire whip...what could be cooler than that? Oh yeah, I forgot: the Nazgul! Oh wait, they're not as cool as RIVENDELL in all it's glory. D'oh, I'm forgetting the CAVE TROLL. I want to vomit with excitement. I cahnt typ rite! Gobbldygook! I'm going insane with anticipation. This movie's going to knock my head off, infect it with a terminal disease, and reattach it...and I won't even care.
Don't you and spud start ganging up on me now!

This was the funniest post of the day. Congrats!

Just checked, and unless they don't have it listed by phone, or on IMDB.com, the big theater around here doesn't even have a midnight showing...though I do find that a little hard to believe. Suxxor. I wish I at least had the option...I'd try to arrange a sleepover at Adam's house, and maybe we could go, then. Crap, that'd be awesome...but it looks impossible. ARGH.

The theaters here usually don't sell out for stuff like what they show happens in New York and stuff. Does everyone else have those big stadium seat theaters in their area? We have a lot of them here within a pretty small area.

I realize it's only Tex-@ss, but even so I'd call before I went charging out of the house after 10:00pm.

And yes, I'm sure virtually everybody has multiplexes with stadium seating near them now. That's why the Movie Theater chains are all in financial trouble, because they expanded too quickly at the same time in the same areas. It's over-saturation, plain and simple. It works fine for Friday & Saturday nights, but the rest of the week that's a lot of empty seats with a whole lot of overhead that went into construction.

Anywho...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hey dumb-@ss, I was asking a general question of everyone here and specifically those who don't live in large cities. One day you should stop and realize the world doesn't revolve around your rude @ss opinions and your overblown importance of self. You give the term BBS Nazi new meaning with every post.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
And yes, I'm sure virtually everybody has multiplexes with stadium seating near them now.
I don't have one near me. I live in Grass Valley and I think the closest one of those kinds of theaters is on the other end of Sacramento. An hour and a half away. That's not "near" to me,IMO.

That blows, Sades. Stadium seating really spoils you quickly, it's the only way to fly. I go to the older theaters in town at least once a month or so, to catch revivals and art house stuff, and if it's crowded there it's always such a shock to see the back of people's heads again.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah...it does blow.
Hmmm...you're not being your usual mean self, to me today. What gives? What do you want from me? You're scaring me. No uptake on the trip to California offer, 'eh? No Jell-O rumble?

I've got friends and relatives scattered around SoCal, and good friends up in Portland, Oregon (was just out there a month and a half or so ago). I used to live in San Francisco for a couple years (1995 & 1996). That is an amazing town, I still miss it. I'll probably wind up on the northern end of the West Coast someday, so be careful what you wish for.

Only went to Sacremento a couple times when I lived in S.F. It was better than The Jose, that's for sure, but other than that I didn't see much to recommend. But admittedly, I didn't see much either...and I am so madly and completely in love with San Francisco. Didn't leave my heart there, but I did leave a Futon and some clothes.

I like the Distinta (read: stadium seating) Theaters out here...but they're too small. No packed-house feeling on big showings, really. It's more comfortable, and you get to butter your own popcorn, but the tradeoff, aside from each theater being fairly small, is that the button isn't as good as the one-time stuff.

Now With Moveable Parts
S.F. is great. I go there as often as I can. Saw Phantom of the Opera, and a tribute fasion show to the late artist, Erte. THAT was a phenominal show!
I've done all the touristy things, museums, the park, the beach, the warf, chinatown, everything...I still would never want to live there. The driving alone is murderous, let alone some of the more popular streets.

Back to topic- Sis says she doesn't want to go anymore. She says it's going to be a zoo. Our local radio station will be there, new employees and all their stupid friends, and an ex-boyfriend or two of hers. I can't go without her. Looks like I'll have to skin her, and wear her face to the showing tonight.

I absolutely LOVE driving in San Francisco! I lived up in The Western Addition (between The Filmore and The Presido) and loved driving to work, all the way downtown, just below Chinatown and the Prudential Pyramid. I'd come straight down California St., zooming around traffic and trolly cars, usually hitting about 80MPH without breakig a sweat. I had a tape that played the themes from "The Streets of San Francisco", Bullitt and Dirty Harry in a loop. I'd crank that and fly (sometimes literally)!

I suppose it's lucky I didn't ever kill anybody, but it was always a true treat driving in that town. You learn to avoid the traffic spots pretty easily. It's not even on the top ten of congested annoying U.S. cities to drive in. Washington, D.C., Boston, and the L.A. Freeways have to be tops of that list. Manhattan is the MOST fun to drive in for me, but S.F. is a very close second.

Of course, I love to drive, so that helps.

You'd better threaten your Sister to take you tonight. Tell her if she doesn't go, she may wake up with her ring finger bitten off in the morning...or at least covered in bruises and dried Jell-o.

Well dumb-@ss? Are you still virtually sure that everyone has multiplexes with stadium seating near them?

For the record, I'm still virtually sure that you're a pompous prick.

Pompous? Oh yeah. Prick? I wouldn't go that far. I don't dislike Holden. I just dislike some of his mannerisms...as such, I'm afraid, as much as some might expect me to join in with you, I must disagree with you here...even though you're a Rockets fan (I long for the day when the Hakeem of old will return to us).

Yes, virtually everybody. Not Sades, but virtually everybody else in this country - at least those who live near a city of any decent size, sure, I'll stand by that. WhatEVER. Who cares?

Five more hours until my ship sails... the Fellowship that is!

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Five more hours until the ship sails... the Fellowship that is!
Quit rubbing it in. Turns out they don't even HAVE a midnight showing at the big theater out here...so I'm screwed.

Yes, does suck for me. Thanks for confirming that...now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Don't the theater managers out here realize that 12:01 showings of movies like this are what it's ALL about? I like lots of movies, but I watch movies in general as a way of waiting around for the next big one...the next Star Wars, to see a new director become the next Kevin Smith or, better yet, M. Night Shyamalan. I think LOTR is one of those movies...where we see PJ get the recognition he deserves, and a truly awesome movie achieves both commercial and critical success. And Joe Schmoe Theater Manager of Showcase Cinemas Pittsburgh West's first showing is 11AM tomorrow? WTF?

Oh ok, virtually everybody except for some chick on a message board and the surrounding inhabitants of Grass Valley which of course is the only community in the country that is some 60/70 miles from a city of decent size. Virtually everyone, except the several tens of millions of people who don't live in a city of decent size. Yeah, who cares, whatever.