Artsy/Experimental/Surreal

Tools    

Maybe you're changing your tune a little, but fact of the matter is you've been speaking, IMO, quite lowly of most moviegoers. Unless there's some REALLY subtle sarcasm I'm missing here.

It's this simple: I'm sure there are plenty of lower-budget movies I'd enjoy that I haven't even heard of. Does this bother me? No, because movies are not my life. If they were, I may or may not feel differently...but not necessarily. I'll never see them all. Ever. I'm always going to have to pick and choose.

It's not necessarily the ideal situation, but it's not horrible, and it doesn't make me anything else than a person unwilling to scour the ends of the Earth for anything that MIGHT be interesting even if it looks like a bore.

If you want to fault me for not watching a whole lot that looks dull and annoying to me, be my guest...but I don't appreciate the high-and-mighty "these fools don't know what they're missing" kind of vibe I'm picking up here. I know what I like and I'm not going to watch EVERYTHING. Furthermore, if something sucks, I won't hesitate to say so. You can go on as long as you like about other merits it might have...but sometimes a BAD IDEA is just a BAD IDEA, and nothing more.

I won't give someone credit for trying something new if the something new is idiotic...I don't issue praise for a movie I hate just because it caused me to hate it. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Wow, MM. Jacob's Ladder is your #1 favorite movie. It's on my list too! (though, I consider it higher than #9 now, but TWT hasn't fixed the problem with the favorites list...)

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Mystery Man
Without Nolan's independant film Following, Memento would never have been made. Sometimes we have to recognize the underdog in order for its contributions if something greater is going to be brought to the masses. It's hard to find truly well-made artistic movies, but I guess most people just don't care.
Gee, you make us sound so uncultured. Me no hear nuthin' 'bout Memento??? What's that all about...???Duuuuuuuh. Is that a movie or sumtin'?? I only like movies with things blowin' up -n-sh*t. Heh-heh.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Maybe you're changing your tune a little, but fact of the matter is you've been speaking, IMO, quite lowly of most moviegoers. Unless there's some REALLY subtle sarcasm I'm missing here.

It's this simple: I'm sure there are plenty of lower-budget movies I'd enjoy that I haven't even heard of. Does this bother me? No, because movies are not my life. If they were, I may or may not feel differently...but not necessarily. I'll never see them all. Ever. I'm always going to have to pick and choose.

It's not necessarily the ideal situation, but it's not horrible, and it doesn't make me anything else than a person unwilling to scour the ends of the Earth for anything that MIGHT be interesting even if it looks like a bore.

If you want to fault me for not watching a whole lot that looks dull and annoying to me, be my guest...but I don't appreciate the high-and-mighty "these fools don't know what they're missing" kind of vibe I'm picking up here. I know what I like and I'm not going to watch EVERYTHING. Furthermore, if something sucks, I won't hesitate to say so. You can go on as long as you like about other merits it might have...but sometimes a BAD IDEA is just a BAD IDEA, and nothing more.

I won't give someone credit for trying something new if the something new is idiotic...I don't issue praise for a movie I hate just because it caused me to hate it. That makes no sense whatsoever.
I haven't changed my tune. I feel that my point has been missed. Maybe that's my fault. I'm just as guilty of letting my biases and tastes effect me, as much as anyone. I like Lynch. I like what he has to offer. Maybe you hate Lynch and think he has nothing to offer. But just because you say something is "idiotic" or a "bad idea" that doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

I view movies through the eyes of an artist. I would love to create movies. When I see something original and inspirational in a movie I take note. Maybe I don't like it (that doesn't mean it's bad), but I at least recognize that it exists.

Now With Moveable Parts
***somebody's ignoring me...

I recognize that POTA's ending exists. I just think it's completely moronic. BTW: I don't think Lynch is idiotic...I may eventually, but I don't right now. I just don't suspect I'll like this stuff much. No, I will not give it credit for merely being different. I'll have things credit if they're different in an interesting way. In a good way, even if the end result is poor. But I'm sorry, being original is not always praiseworthy. If it was, a 12-hour movie with only paint drying would deserve praise, according to this logic.

Gee, you make us sound so uncultured. Me no hear nuthin' 'bout Memento??? What's that all about...???Duuuuuuuh. Is that a movie or sumtin'?? I only like movies with things blowin' up -n-sh*t. Heh-heh.

Sades, I used Memento as an example to prove my point because you *have* heard of it. Because it *was* brought to (and accepted by) the masses.

Now With Moveable Parts
Oh.
I've seen your type before.
You're afraid that if you like what everone else likes, then you'll BE just like everybody else...so you search for those "unheard of's"...and idolize those things instead. So that you can be "different".

Hey, Memento and Mulholland Drive are both sold at Target. They're not that unheard of!

Originally posted by TWTCommish
I recognize that POTA's ending exists. I just think it's completely moronic. BTW: I don't think Lynch is idiotic...I may eventually, but I don't right now. I just don't suspect I'll like this stuff much. No, I will not give it credit for merely being different. I'll have things credit if they're different in an interesting way. In a good way, even if the end result is poor. But I'm sorry, being original is not always praiseworthy. If it was, a 12-hour movie with only paint drying would deserve praise, according to this logic.
I feel silly because I keep trying to figure out what POTA is and I just can't do it. Maybe if I knew what movie you were talking about -and have seen it- then I could comment about it.

I would never ask anyone give credit to anything for merely being different. Much , much, much more goes into my evaluation process than that. Nevertheless, if it inspires me, how can I hate it?

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Oh.
I've seen your type before.
You're afraid that if you like what everone else likes, then you'll BE just like everybody else...so you search for those "unheard of's"...and idolize those things instead. So that you can be "different".
Oh, Sades...

Now I know that you really just don't understand. This is the first time in this entire thread that I have been (what's the word I'm looking for...) discouraged.

Maybe I am different, but I don't try to be. As i said before, I watch movies from an artistic viewpoint; therefore, I prefer movies that succeed in being artistic. That is what inspires me. These are simply the types of movies that I prefer.

Maybe I believe that they do have something more to offer. Maybe I believe that the general population of movie-goers either doesn't understand this or doesn't care to understand it. That's fine. Maybe it's not their thing. My interest goes beyond that though. How can you fault someone for wanting to learn more?

Now With Moveable Parts
I'm ducking out...
I just don't think we can have this discussion.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
I'm ducking out...
I just don't think we can have this discussion.
Why? Because you are not qualified? I don't understand.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Mystery Man
**accidental post**
so smart but can't read...there's an edit button to your right. Try it.

*see. I'm using it right now...to change my post. I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. I'm not usually so mean...I've had a long day. I apologize for suggesting you can't read...
...but you're still a jack@ss.

daaaaang.......fez.....get the hookah out babie.

sades.....nice new betty

Guy
Some people are happy with mainstream cinema and some people aren't. Those are the facts! I don't think you can make any generalizations about what type of people they are or their IQ levels.

Am I right?

Yup.

*editing*
Well, let me clarify that... One can make generalizations, but that type of generalization wouldn't be an accurate one.

Psychic Sylvia Browne can tell you your future just by knowing your name. Imagine what she could find out about yourself if she knew your favorite movies!

Originally posted by Guy
Some people are happy with mainstream cinema and some people aren't. Those are the facts! I don't think you can make any generalizations about what type of people they are or their IQ levels.

Am I right?
Simple as that ain't it? Black and white.

I don't think so. I like some mainstream cinema. But what's wrong with trying to learn more and urge others to do the same?

I never said anything about IQ.

Psychic Sylvia Browne can tell you your future just by knowing your name. Imagine what she could find out about yourself if she knew your favorite movies!
I feel the same way, SC. I believe you can tell a lot about a person from the movies he or she likes. Maybe not so much from a top 10 list, but maybe a top 50 or 100 list. And even more so if you understand someone's range of taste and their favorite type or genre of movie within that range.