God isn't real

Tools    

Why don't you then need a solid reason as to how things can be as sickingly complex as they are on their own? Why don't you need a solid explanation as to the common Moral Law that unites us? And why am I too lazy to response to your other post in full right now?

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by TWTCommish
And why am I too lazy to response to your other post in full right now?
You don't have time. I'm almost ready.

Needing a reason to believe that something exists is much different than needing an explanation for things that I don't understand. I accept that there are things I don't understand; I will try like hell to understand them, but I don't need to believe in a religion just so that I can claim to understand it when I will have no proof to support that claim whatsoever.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Why don't you then need a solid reason as to how things can be as sickingly complex as they are on their own? Why don't you need a solid explanation as to the common Moral Law that unites us? And why am I too lazy to response to your other post in full right now?
I think I understand why our moral laws are similar in different societies. Similar natural emotions and instincts make us devolop similar morals.

Originally posted by firegod
Ok. I hope that means move on in a good way, and not "good bye."
My heritage is German, my grandmother used this phrase on my brother and I when we fought or were being intolerant...

"leben Sie und lassen Sie Phasen" means literally, Live and let live" or be respectful of the opinions of others.

I respect your opinions. Just so you know, I haven't felt insulted by anything you have said, and I hope the reverse is true. Whether you want to continue to discuss religion with me or not, either way is ok with me.

Now With Moveable Parts
I was having a discussion with my grandma this morning, we were talking about God and she was telling me that it didn't matter what faith you come from, be it Jewish, Catholic, Buddist, whatever, all roads lead to God.
I had to disagree with her.
The faiths she mentioned are so universaly different in their doctrine, that it isn't possible for what she said to be true. God is not a contridiction. He isn't going to represent something to "these" people and then something entirely different to,"those" people. That just doesn't ring true to me.
When she talks about her theroies on God or Heaven, or Hell, she's basically going on her own made-up belief system...going on only the idea she has formed in her own mind. How can that be the answer? Is she sitting there, telling me, that she has the answers to the universe? All I have to do to meet God on the other side and dwell in His presence, is formulate some idea of who he is and what He stands for? According to me?
No way.
I'm not buying it.
I'd rather put my faith in the God of the Bilble. A book that has stood the test of time and is God breathed; not some fabrication of man.

I completely agree. God, to me, is REAL. He is more real than anything we've ever known...by far. That's a Lewisian idea: that we're just shadows...faded and ghostlike in comparison with REAL people...with REAL things like God and Heaven...

..and something that real is absolute...is true. Is unmoving and unflappable. God is not flexible. He does not negotiate. If He did, He wouldn't really be God. If God could bend to various views, and God was whatever we each saw Him to be, then what would be the point of believing in Him? We all worship something, in a way. Some of us worship our selves. Others worship sex, or drugs, or alcohol, or just all-around hedonism. Some worship their own reputation, or money...and ALL of us worship some of these things now and then. If merely believing in SOMETHING and labeling it "GOD" in big fat letters makes us a believer, then everyone is a believer without even trying to be.

I don't know if some of those other religions are still technically consistent with Jesus. Maybe they are...I'm not too comfortable saying so one way or the other.

B&W
Instead of quoting Scripture which apparantly you disagree with, I'll just say this.

Christianity is the only faith that deals with mankind's ultimate problem, sin.

All other religions are human's attempt to reach a holy God.
But that is impossible as we will die unless we have absolutely no sin.

Anyways, to say all religions lead to God would make Jesus a complete liar.

Originally posted by B&W
Obviously you're not too well acquainted with "all other religions".

B&W
Originally posted by B&W

Obviously you're not too well acquainted with "all other religions".
When i said that it was very generalised i agree.
But nearly all other religions, are an attempt to get to a place like heaven.
I'm just trying to say what is unique about Christianity. That we serve a Saviour God not just a god.

People have yet to answer me on this though.
How do other Religions take into account the problem of Sin?

No. Certain things make sense to me. Take hurting people. I have compassion and a conscience. I may not completely understand why I have those things, but I understand that I don't want to hurt someone, and if I did, it would make me feel horrible. I don't want to hurt people, so I don't. Yes, some people may want to do something that hurts people, and not care whether someone gets hurt or not, but we have laws to try to keep those kinds of things from happening. I don't feel I need to have a religion to justify my morals, nor do I think you have even slightly proven your case that I have morals because some deity gave them to me.
What I'm trying to say is that you have morals, yet logically, they do you little good. It is in your own interest to defy some of them, isn't it? But you don't. Why? Chemicals? Are you a slave to your instincts? Real morals and atheism do not mix. Atheism is all about a big, fat, gray world. The two go hand in hand.

I think there is a contradiction if you think certain sins are worse than the ones you claim are the top ten. Ok, if burning someone's house down is equivalent to theft, then what about torture or rape? They are not mentioned in the ten commandments, but using God's name in vain is. What is more wrong? Strapping somoene to a chair and torturing them by slowly giving them third degree burns, or yelling "God damnit!" when you almost get into a car wreck? I think it is obvious that the ten commandments is not a top ten list that makes sense.
Not true; why is the person torturing? More information is needed. There is no contradiction whatsoever: I think some sins are worse, but I don't KNOW. You can't put a tag on suffering or evil, so I can't say which is worse with much certainty. I can only guess. IMO, the torture is worse than taking the Lord's name in vain. Some of the Commandments cover a LOT of ground, though.

I don't think morals throughout history have been as similar as you seem to think. However, to the extent that they are similar, I think it mostly comes from almost all humans having similar natural emotions and instincts. Different experiences have caused societies to think a little differently, creating different morals, but many of the morals remained common ground among all or almost all societies because of human nature.

You can even see some morals in other animals. For example, some apes will share things with each other, showing generosity. Some animals even love. When a dog cries because his father died, what is that?
What is that? Well, in my opinion, it's because even animals have emotions...though I've never seen or heard of a dog crying over such a thing. I am glad you mentioned dogs, though: I love the way Lewis likens us to them. We are dogs, and Christ is our master. It works on more levels than is immedietly evident. As such, we dogs can go at each other's throat and mess up constantly, and, as you well know, bite the hand that feeds us...but in the end, we're only fighting the thing that gives us the power to fight in the first place.

I think they are more similar than most people believe. They just think something about some caveman or Egyptian being cruel, and figure that we're light years apart...but I don't believe that's the case at all. I see an undeniable conscience of sorts throughout history. Lewis was dedicated, from what I understand, to research of this sort, and said that the results pointed towards many base morals that were agreed upon throughout history, in much the same way you, despite not believing in any real right or wrong or absolute truth, as it were, will appeal to a person's common sense...not just because you know they probably have some, but because it is deeply engrained in you.

You appeal to a person's goodness every day of your entire life, I'd imagine, even. Constantly...undeniably. You appeal to the sense of fair play we all have. Do you believe this is all only a product of our society? You could not appeal to the same sort of reasonable nature of people hundreds or thousands of years ago?

I don't have much to add to what I've already said about love. I think that brains are complicated and I don't claim to completely understand how love works. I believe right and wrong is opinion, but I can't compare that kind of opinion with vanilla vs. chocolate. While I think that there have probably been, and probably still are, other intelligent races out there, I don't have a good idea of how many, nor do I have an opinion on how many of them are/were humanoid. Is there absolutely nothing beyond our current state of existence? I would have to say no. But is there such a thing as a soul which lives forever? I would also have to say no.
Well, I don't know that it lives forever. Perhaps unreptenant souls will merely be destroyed. I really don't know...but I do doubt that hell is really the literal lake of fire and torture people think of. I think it's much more subtle than that.

I agree that we don't know much of what there is to know out there. To me, that's a sign of intelligence. Of how vast it all is. I've yet to understand how a person can see this level of complexity and conclude that no creature was behind it. If you came across a pile of sticks arranged in a crude circle somewhere, certainly you would assume someone arranged them that way...you wouldn't assume it happened by change...and the life and planet we see now are infinitely more complex and precise and advanced than a pile of sticks.

I think there might be other intelligent races out there as well, BTW.

No offense taken. Certainly I put myself ahead of the world to a certain extent, because I am the one who is responsible for me. But if I were to weigh my overall well-being against the overall well-being of the planet, the scales would tilt in the direction of the planet. I hope that I am the kind of person who would be brave enough to sacrifice his life to save others. I honestly don't know if I am, but I would hope so.
I would hope so as well...but why would you sacrifice your life for many people who can do you no good? If it's not really right or wrong or good or bad to do any of it, why? Is it another instance of being a slave to your instincts?

I believe that prehumans didn't understand certain natural things like lightning, storms, hurricanes, etc., and were fightened of them. They saw that the sun kept them warm and did other miraculous things, and they started to worship the sun as a god. I think that is how religion started. As I indicated before, I believe that the fear of death is the biggest reason why the general belief in gods has continued so strongly for millions of years. There are other big reasons that include: greed; power hunger; wanting to understand EVERYTHING, or follow somoene or something that does; choosing to go along to get along; and wanting to be a part of a big family type group, to make each other feel better about themselves.
Well, there are a few problems with that. For one, Christianity does not offer answers to everything. Not even close! Anyone who says it does is misrepresenting things.

But seriously: why would early man really believe it? Life was terrifying and awful. By your logic, which says that intelligent design is not implied through this world, they wouldn't have had much reason to. Life was BAD. Cruel, and more difficult than we'll likely ever know.

As for the fear of death: as I've said in the past, there's no reason to assume people would invent religion to find a way "around it." There's just as much reason to believe they'd rather not believe in God, because it imposed rules and more difficulties on them.

This subject is bogging down our debate, as is your apparent obsession with atheist morals. I simply feel that it is wrong to teach something subjective like religion so relentlessly that the child is basically forced to have those opinions, and none that contradict them. Some parents do that, while others merely give their opinions that their religion is right, and they don't force that opinion on their children very much (that was what happened with me when I was a child). And there are even those out there who don't try yto influence their kids at all, but give them all kinds of religious texts (as well as non-religious texts on religion), and let their kids decide on their own what they want to have faith in, if anything. That last one is my favorite way of teaching kids about religion.
So, it is not even the singing of Psalms, but rather, the situations in which that is the ONLY way of teaching?

Saying I am obsessed with Atheistic morals is like saying you are obsessed with Christian morals: it is very relevant and more than worth discussing. It's not bogging down the debate any more than your questions about God from every front.

Well, I believe things in degrees, of course, just as you do. If a stranger tells me that she heard the weather was going to be nice today, I will probably believe her to a certain extent, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was lying or mistaken. Am I really sitting here, or am hooked up to some Matrix-like computer? I would say that I am about 99.9999% or so sure that I am really sitting here. I can't be totally 100% sure about anything, but I think it is a huge stretch to say I can't believe in things. I believe I am sitting here, I believe I am debating a Christian, I believe at least billions of things.
So, therefore, you do not demand undeniable proof to believe things...and rightly so. At least, this is the impression I get...and it's what I hope is the truth. My point is simply that it's ridiculous to hold religion to such a remarkably high standard of evidence and proof, when no one holds the majority of their beliefs to such a standard. No one here is claiming undeniable proof of God, and so, no one should be asked to provide it...just as I do not ask you to provide proof contrary to that of God's existence.

You lost me here. Truly live what way?
What you deem to be the correct way: without belief in God.

Seems like quite a hoax to me too.
Understatement of the year. If what you say is true, not only have billions of people toiled for something that doesn't exist, but they've done so with more money and effort than the rest of the world has ever seen. In terms of hoaxes, it is a beach full of sand to the hourglass that is the runner-up. IMO, believing THAT requires faith.

I never said that, and I don't believe it. I believe that humans are much different than other animals, and that we are the only animal that can use our intellilect to control or even disregard our instincts (even though many of us don't control those instincts very well at all). Instincts explain certain things about how our societies have developed, though, and they explain why we still do certain things today.
Well, it seems you are led by your instincts. I've still yet to grasp why it is you care for what you call morals.

Needing a reason to believe that something exists is much different than needing an explanation for things that I don't understand. I accept that there are things I don't understand; I will try like hell to understand them, but I don't need to believe in a religion just so that I can claim to understand it when I will have no proof to support that claim whatsoever.
That's being unreasonable. For one, Christianity is not about people claiming to know all sorts of things. Christianity is about submission! You claim it as being too reliant on Faith...yet you also seem to fault it for providing too many answers, as it were. The fact of the matter is that religion does not throw many answers at us. If anything, most of what you'll read in The Bible will have you saying "duh, I knew that." The teachings are simple, and are things most of us will know of already...though you and I will disagree as to why that is.

I've given you reasons to believe:
  • If you don't, you must believe that this is the most embarassingly elaborate hoax of all time, and that billions of people have wasted good portions of their lives on it.
  • You must believe that the person known as Jesus Christ, in addition to not being God, was a lunatic.
  • You must believe in some other theory of creation...none of which have ever had any more evidence on their side, as far as I can see, than creationism.
  • You must believe that your conscience is just an instinct, and that your morals differ not from your favorite TV show.
  • You must believe that (and yes, I realize this argument applies to both sides), many, many brilliant minds have disagreed with you.
  • You must completely discount its longevity and endurance throughout all human history.
  • You must dismiss The Bible as nonsense.
  • You must believe that morals, in large part, come from your surroundings, so that you may very well be a cannibalistic murder if your father happened to have been named Hannibal.
  • You must believe you are right, and over 95% of the population of this earth is wrong.
  • You must believe that all the disturbingly high amount of complexity around you...this planet, your brain (who's complexity you've marveled at), your retena, etc, despite their amazingly precise levels, did not come from any plan or force. They just sort of happened over time.
There is MUCH you must believe if you discredit the existence of God. There is much I must believe in order to believe in Him, too...but please do not make out that you have no reasons for believing. Surely the reasons above, even if not sufficient for you, are noteworthy and undeniably serve as evidence. I get the impression you enjoy reverting to great minds for wisdom...and I do as well. I think that as important as it is for us to figure things out as best we can on our own, it is equally as foolish to do so without the help of those wiser than us.

The 9|11 special just ended...I'm not really in an argumentative mood, but I need to say something: if you can watch that sort of thing, and try to tell me that is not wholly and universally evil, I know not what to say to you. It is not evil because I wouldn't want it to happen to me...it is not evil because it is against the law...and it is not evil because it makes it less likely that we will survive as a species. It is evil because it IS. It is evil because we all know it is regardless of those other things. That's all I have to say.