Movie Forum Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Every six months or so a group of people get together. Each one nominates a movie which is then watched by the whole group and discussed. Then every member then ranks the movies from what they feel is most deserving to be placed in the hall of fame to the least. The winning movie is then inducted here.

A lot of time, energy and thought went into placing these movies. I hope to eventually build a large library of movies here. Thanks to all who have participated and I hope that many continue to do so.

The first HOF committee was ran by JirraffeJustin, who also came up with the idea for this in the first place.

Members and nominations:

Jai90 ~ City Lights ( 1931 Charlie Chaplin)
Donnie Darko ~ Duck Soup (1933 Leo McCarey)
Hitchfan97 ~ Psycho (1960 Alfred Hitchcock) Winner
Gunslinger45 ~ The Producers ( 1967 Mel Brooks)
Guaporense ~ Nausicaa Valley of the Wind (1984 Hayao Miyazaki)
Skepsis93 ~ The Purple Rose of Cairo ( 1985 Woody Allen)
The Rodent ~ Robocop (1987 Paul Verhoeven)
Godoggo ~ Farewell My Concubine (1993 Kaige Chen)
Teeter_G ~ American History X (1998 Tony Kaye)
The Usual Suspect ~ The Big Lebowski (1998 Ethan and Joel Coen)
Cobpyth ~ Eyes Wide Shut ~ (1999 Stanley Kubrick)
JiraffeJustin ~ Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004 Michael Gondry)

Inductees

1. Psycho ~ Alfred Hitchcock
2. The Apartment ~ Billy Wilder
3. The 400 Blows ~ François Truffaut
4. Sansho the Bailiff ~ Kenji Mizoguchi
5. Autumn Sonata ~ Ingmar Bergman

Art by Rodent

Writing about Psycho is not a task that I'm new to; if you ask me to explain everything that I love about this movie, I could go on for much longer than what would be deemed appropriate. For all the great movies I've discovered since first seeing it, there are still times when I feel like Hitchcock's iconic classic may be my favorite film of all time. Certainly, I know it better than any other movie; I've seen it countless times, on the big screen, in my home, with friends, scene-by-scene during a summer course at a local university. Hell, I've read a whole book on it. I'd say that at this point I know Psycho inside and out, but with a movie of this quality, I don't have any doubt that there's always more to discover.

I suppose I'll always have a deeply emotional attachment to Psycho (and yes, I realize this is a very strange film to be emotionally attached to), since without it, I never would've been set down the path to cinematic enlightenment that it began me on. Obviously, it takes a very special movie to do this, and Psycho is just that - a triumph of thrills and suspense matched by some very unsettling things to say about human nature.

Everyone knows the story - Marion Crane is a young secretary who steals $40,000 from her employer in order to pay for her boyfriend’s alimony payments and their marriage. On the run from the police, Marion hastily checks into the Bates Motel and meets its proprietor, Norman. Following their dinner conversation, Marion retires to her room for a sin-cleansing shower, and the twist that follows is well-known even to those who have never seen the film. This first act is perhaps the finest 40 minutes of Hitchcock’s career.

After Marion’s grisly demise, her boyfriend and sister are tasked with unraveling Hitchcock’s darkest and most chilling mystery. Of course, it is the film’s shocking Shower Scene that preserves its legend; Psycho single-handedly birthed the entire slasher genre and changed cinema forever. A significant turning point in the director’s career, its black-and-white cinematography (shot by the camera crew of Alfred Hitchcock Presents) was a far cry from the showy, bold Technicolor spectacles that Hitch was directing throughout the 1950s. And the level of violence and sexuality depicted in the film was unprecedented in a mainstream Hollywood movie and paved the way for much greater degrees of edginess in American cinema.
But enough about the vast influence of this great movie. On its own, Psycho is still a masterpiece - with a small budget, Hitchcock turned a grisly potboiler into the most thrilling movie of all time. There is something intriguingly sinister about the film's premise, and after countless viewings it never ceases to draw me in every single time.
Much of the endless appeal of Psycho's narrative relies on Hitchcock's gift for manipulating his audiences. One of the most stunning displays of directorial sleight-of-hand I've ever seen comes not long after the famous Shower Scene, when Norman is finishing his clean-up job by sinking Marion's car in the swamp. I'll never forget my astonishment when I realized that I actually wanted that car to sink; in a single scene, Hitchcock subverted my sympathies away from the young secretary that I had been following for the past 45 minutes to this strange, quirky young man who now also happens to be an accessory to murder. It is at this point when Psycho really begins to tread into disturbing territory. I no longer knew a whole lot about the protagonist, and only once it's too late did I discover the film had morphed into a portrait of a hideously diseased mind.
And speaking of dear Norman, no look at Psycho is complete without delving into this great character. Perkins' performance belongs up there with the all-time greats; his quirks and ticks contribute to his development as one of the most enigmatic characters in all of Hitchcock, so when I finally discovered the truth about him I knew I was in the presence of one of the most horrifying of all movie villains.

The "human nature" aspect of Psycho has become, on recent viewings, one of my favorite things about the film, yet this is rarely commented on. Maybe that's because most of the credit for it belongs not to Hitchcock, but to screenwriter Joseph Stefano. After the financial and critical failure of Vertigo, it's probable that Hitchcock was none too eager to delve further into "deep themes". Yet Psycho can be read in a number of ways. The deepest layer I have yet found is the idea of an escape from society - many of the principle characters seek a way to better their unsatisfactory lives in some way. Marion tries to escape her dull existence as a secretary to marry her boyfriend, Norman wants to get away from his isolation but cannot leave his "mother", Sam wants to build a better life with Marion but must give his ex-wife alimony payments. Yet all of their efforts fail once they are caught up in the web of madness found within the Bates Motel. This reading of the film is best summed up by Norman's great quote in the motel parlor with Marion: "I think that we're all in our private traps, clamped in them, and none of us can ever get out. We scratch and we claw, but only at the air, only at each other, and for all of it, we never budge an inch."
The other major theme of Psycho that I find most interesting is one that seems to turn up in many of my favorite movies: the notion of personal duality. Not only are most of the main characters seeking escape from their "private traps", but they also each hide parts of themselves (often their dark selves) from the rest of society. Marion lies to steal money and dodges the probing suspicions of a police officer and a used car dealer, among others. Norman secretly keeps his mother's corpse in the fruit cellar and kills women who come to his hotel, but outwardly he appears boyish and charming. Even Sam and Lila put up a false front when investigating the Bates Motel. The film seems to suggest that all of us have inner selves capable of amorality lurking within.
Does all of this sound a bit depressing? Don't be fooled; there's plenty of humor to be found in Psycho. Dark comedy has always been a specialty of Hitchcock's, yet for some reason it took longer for me to find it in Psycho, perhaps due to the film's naturally sordid subject matter. However, it is precisely because of this that Hitchcock's trademark gallows humor is put to such effective use in the movie.
So not only is Psycho immensely enthralling and gripping in a way that perhaps no other movie is, but it also possesses a great deal of commentary on the human condition, a quality for which the film rarely receives the recognition it deserves. And it's funny, too. Combine all this with impeccable direction, an unforgettable slashing string score, and one of the most terrifying villains in film history, and what more can one ask for? The result is a near-flawless work of art, and a film that I'm honored to have nominated for the MoFo Movie Hall of Fame. ~ by Hitchfan97

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Psycho is probably the best of that set by my estimation. If donniedarko had picked one of several other Leo McCarey films, it would have had some competition for the title at least in my head

love it. so Psycho's in

what other movies have been inducted? might as well make this the official MoFo Hall of Fame movie thread
It is the official one. At least in regards to what we are doing. So far Psycho is the only one, but there will be another in about a week. A third is in progress. It's a time consuming process, so this will be a slow moving thread.

Psycho is probably the best of that set by my estimation. If donniedarko had picked one of several other Leo McCarey films, it would have had some competition for the title at least in my head
Of course, I liked my movie, but Psycho was second on my own list. It's one of my personal favorites so I was very happy with the outcome.

I am/was a slightly bigger fan of City Lights and possibly Eyes Wide Shut, but ultimately I can't possibly argue against Psycho as the first choice for the HoF. It's one of the most influential and classic films of all time and I keep loving this Hitchcock masterpiece every time I see it.

I'm looking forward to finishing the next two tournaments that are currently running. Hopefully this will become a tradition. I very much enjoy being in the different committees, so far. It's really broadening my cinematic horizon and I'm very thankful for that. A great initiative!

I've only seen 6 from this list and Psycho is definitely the best (btw nice review Hitchfan)

I am/was a slightly bigger fan of City Lights and possibly Eyes Wide Shut, but ultimately I can't possibly argue against Psycho as the first choice for the HoF. It's one of the most influential and classic films of all time and I keep loving this Hitchcock masterpiece every time I see it.

I'm looking forward to finishing the next two tournaments that are currently running. Hopefully this will become a tradition. I very much enjoy being in the different committees, so far. It's really broadening my cinematic horizon and I'm very thankful for that. A great initiative!
I plan on running them as long as I am here and that people participate. It's a lot of fun and it does allow you to not only watch films that you might have missed, but I learn a lot from the discussions.

I liked Psycho much more the first time I watched it, and was unable to sleep for the night after I watched it. Though, second and third watches were much weaker. I found the movie to be simplistic and hence a bit boring on rewatches.

Out of the 12 movies in that list, which I watched all (of course), about 6 I liked more than Psycho. The only ones that I rate as masterpieces
are Nausicaa and City Lights. Nausicaa has the edge over City Lights for me because of it's complexity, science fiction elements (one of the reasons why I also loved Robocop in this rewatch), Joe Hisaishi score (Nausicaa's score is among my top 3 favorite film scores) and visual richness (pretty much unmatched for any animation up to that date). I am a huge science fiction fan and Nausicaa the finest science fiction film I ever watched.

Psycho is a worthy first inductee to the HOF for a bunch of reasons.
  1. It is a damn good movie.
  2. It was directed by a truly great director.
  3. It is an iconic movie. We could all argue about whether it is Hitchcock's best but there wouldn't be much argument about it being his most famous and containing his most famous scene - and not only that, it is one of the all-time most famous movies with perhaps the most famous scene ever made.
  4. It has a wide appeal without it being made to have a wide appeal. People from many different countries and ages all still appreciate it but nothing about it is "safe" film making. This isn't lowest common denominator film making made to appeal to everyone ... but somehow it still does.
To be honest, there are lots of films that I personally like more but I can't think of many more deserving of being in a movie Hall of Fame.

I am happy to induct the next movie into the Hall of Fame, but first the committee and it's nominations:

1. Sherlock Jr. (Buster Keaton, 1924) Nominated by Daniel M

2. Blithe Spirit (1945 David Lean) Nominated by Donnie Darko

3. On the Waterfront. (1954 Elia Kazan) Nominated by Rauld14

4. The Apartment (1960 Director: Billy Wilder ) Nominated by Seanc

5. Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. (1964 Stanley Kubrick) Nominated by The Gunslinger

6. Faces (John Cassavetes, 1968) Nominated by Hitchfan

7. Cabaret (1974 Bob Fosse) Nominated by Thursday Next

8. Stalker (1979 Andei Tarkovsky) Nominated by Gauporense

9. After Hours (1985 Martin Scorsese) Nominated by Cobpyth

10. Dark City (1998 Alex Proyas) Nominated by TheUsualSuspect

11. Memento (2000 Christopher Nolan) Nominated by Teeter_G

12. Gone Baby Gone (2007 Ben Affleck) Nominated by Jiraffejustin

Once again I'd like to express my gratitude and give a big thank you to everyone involved. This was my first running of the Hall of Fame and I appreciate everyone's effort and time that they put into this. Everything went very smoothly and I had a great time being a part of this.

There is a current committee in process and the next one will start in July. It is my hope that most members will take part in at least one of these. As this thread grows, it will become something truly special to have a place dedicated to the great movies decided by those people who call this forum home.

Now the second movie inducted into the Hall of Fame:

The Apartment (1960 Billy Wilder)

Art by Skepsis

I don't have a long love affair with The Apartment but it is a torrid one. My favorite directors are those that care about their characters above all. I have only seen a few Wilder films but I don't think I am out of bounds saying that Wilder falls into this category. The Apartment has a simple but interesting plot line. C.C. Baxter (Lemmon) is a common hard working man. He has a job where it is hard to stand out, he is one face among hundreds. Baxter has found a way to set himself apart however. He rents out his apartment to his superiors, so they can have a nice quiet place to take their mistresses. This works well for a while but is starting to become bothersome to our hero. It becomes especially vexing when the president of the company starts bringing the women that Baxter is interested in to the apartment.

The women is Fran Kubelik who is played to perfection by Shirley MacLaine. Fran is the type of women that is very hard for men to resist. Perky, fun, flirty in the best way, intelligent, and easy on the eyes. Baxter is smitten but Fran is in love with the boss. Things may turn for Baxter when Fran is shunned by the boss, Sheldrake, once again. Baxter spends a couple of days nursing Fran back to health and in the process makes it hard for her to forget what a good and caring man looks like. The best and most endearing scenes of the movie are those between Fran and C.C. They have great chemistry together and the dialogue is light and fun. Despite the fact that both characters have their flaws we are meant to be rooting for the couple and it is easy to do so. Like most romantic comedies Fran is forced to make a decision. Unlike most romantic comedies none of the interactions are eye rolling or forced. Instead we are treated to a third act that is as fresh and tightly scripted as the rest of the film.

Baxter and Kubelik are not the only reasons to love The Apartment. Watching Baxter interact with his superiors is humorous throughout. MacMurray is brilliant in his scenes as the reprehensible Sheldrake. One of the other highlights is Baxter's neighbor doctor and his wife. They believe that Baxter is the one who is carrying on with the numerous women coming and going from his apartment. As a result they are continuously giving him grief for his lifestyle but are still quick to help him when needs arise. Their interactions, like everything in this film, are delightful each and every time. Maybe what I respect The Apartment for the most is the final scene. Wilder has the perfect opportunity to do something trite but instead ends on a perfect note.

In case it is not coming across, I adore The Apartment. From the first frame to the last I feel it is a perfect film. I nominated it not only because I thought it had a chance to win but I am hoping that others will discover it and love it for themselves. The Apartment is a more than worthy second entry into our Hall Of Fame.

Written by Seanc. Movie Poster by Skepsis93

Special thanks to Skepsis for the movie poster. I actually think that it would be a cool tradition to have each inductee accompanied by fan art from the forum members, so if someone would do something for Psycho, I'd love to use it.

Thanks Godoggo, Raul. I'm glad you think my poster is good enough to use. And also very pleased to see The Apartment recognised. I love that movie.

I might put together something for Psycho. I've been meaning to get back into that stuff.

Great poster Skepsis. I am glad it was included. I am still so giddy my nom won. It made me smile again weeks later.