28 Days Later 7.5/10

→ in
Tools    

Couldn't find a review for this horror film thats created quite a buzz. So I thought I would post one to get the ball rolling because Im sure others have seen it.

Like the hand held love child of David Cronenburgh’s RABID & THE LAST MAN ON EARTH with Vincent Price (Based on the novel “I Am Legend” later remade as THE OMEGA MAN with Chuck Heston), 28 DAYS LATER is anything but original.

With that said its still solid entertainment for the first 2 acts. Unfortunately the finale is a real let down, the alternate ending after the credits at least sticks to the films predominant theme of mans self-destructive history and violent nature. It appears author Alex Garland (The Beach) can write a hell of a novel but still has a hard time with cinematic narrative structure.

The true star of this film is the cinematography that is responsible for 90% of the tension and creates a real sense of urgency. Director Danny Boyle (Shallow Grave, Trainspotting) for the most part helms with a deft hand and gets maximum impact out of the desolate sets and frenzied violence. There is a real aura of emptiness in the abandoned streets and highways that help suspend audience disbelief.

All the cast stay in character and deliver solid performances, even if they are mostly stereotypes. The edge comes from most of the actors being virtual unknowns adding a sense of mystery to how they will play out.

When compared to other modern horror entries this one is above average and certainly worthy of viewing. For the more discerning horror nuts it’s a nice treat that may well gain cult status, but if you’ve caught the hype wave you may well be disappointed.

How hard did you look? Lookie HERE, whydontchya.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
How hard did you look? Lookie HERE, whydontchya.
Sorry,
I used the search engine and it came back with no threads matching the title, thanx for the link...