Fahrenheit 911 receives The Golden Palm

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
As you've probably heard by now, Michael Moore repeated the success of Bowling For Columbine when it was clear that his Fahrenheit 911 had received the 2004 Palme d'Or, the most prestigious price at the Cannes Film Festival. What are your thoughts about this? What do you think this will mean for the distribution of the film in America? His chances at the next Academy Awards? What significance does the fact that the jury of this french festival was lead by an american director (Quentin Tarantino) bear? Is this to be understood as a political standpoint by the Cannes jury or simply that Michael Moore has done a great film? Has anyone on here seen the film??

Discuss, damn it, DISCUSS!!!!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I ate all your bees.
I have not seen the film, but from what I have heard (and correct me if I'm wrong) its meant to be one big attack on Mr Bush. Whilst I'm sure Mr. Bush has made some mistakes I think its pretty poor to make one big personal attack on one person. I'm sure if someone did an entire documentry on Mr. Moore they could dig up something he would prefer to hide....Maybe how many trips he makes to macca's in one day...

Originally Posted by Sidewinder
No, man... I'm sorry. It's just that I wanted people's opinion on the award and the reasons for Moore receiving it. I couldn't stop myself from joking around a little with your avatar signature. I meant nothing by it... Okay?

Originally Posted by Sidewinder
I have not seen the film, but from what I have heard (and correct me if I'm wrong) its meant to be one big attack on Mr Bush.
That's how I understand it. I consider myself a liberal, but I really dislike Michael Moore because he is so manipulative and one-sided. If you look at his first documentaries, and then you watch the progression of his material he increases in popularity in proportion to how much of the other side he ignores. Somebody with stronger ideals (not me) might call this artistic/journalistic irresponsibility. I think he just wants the fame/publicity for himself and his cause at the price of truthfully debating issues.

And about the Cannes decision: I haven't seen Fahrenheit but I can't imagine Michael Moore making something that deserves the prize, and if the decision was politically-charged in any way (which I have to assume it was) then that pisses me off even moore.

And by the way I thought Elephant wasn't up to Palm d'Or standards last year.

Originally Posted by Puppy Kicker
And about the Cannes decision: I haven't seen Fahrenheit but I can't imagine Michael Moore making something that deserves the prize, and if the decision was politically-charged in any way (which I have to assume it was) then that pisses me off even moore.
Why?