Due to Hurricane Katrina…

Tools    

Originally Posted by jrs
I live down south as well, and you're probably right with those gas prices Hellboy. Those prices are high enough as it is. Right now it's at least $3.05 - $3.15/g. (before it rises).

As for Katrina....I've been watching and seeing these people how they lose homes, and what it looks like after it hits. Especially just tonight with Dateline and their special on it. I sat there mesmerized.... my mouth was open and I just started to cry.

i work for a local oil company...those gas prices have been rising steadily for the last two days...they say it might get to 5 dollars a gallon

as for katrina, a friend of mine used to live down there in the 70's...i was all over the area...she used to live in metarie...we went to slidell to eat poor boys and visited the french quarter....

Yo She Bi*ch, lets go.
It's a good thing that you got out of there in time. Look what it has caused!

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I probably won't be around for a while… so, I'll see you guys when I can…

Anyone have any extra floaties…
Oh lord I hope she is OK. I just watched the news and they were talking about the police force--to say that they are pretty hard-pressed is an understatement.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

I am having a nervous breakdance
Eq lives in New Orleans too? I didn't know that. I hope he's ok. What I've seen on tv is just awful....

The gas price is the most significant thing here? Am I weird thinking that sounds not just a little strange?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Eq lives in New Orleans too? I didn't know that. I hope he's ok. What I've seen on tv is just awful....
EQ is in that mess also!? My heart drops when I see the people on TV trying to get through all that mess, sitting around without shelter or water, trying to survive. Then I keep thinking of Caity out in that mess and it changes everything when you know of someone out in it. Now I'm going to have EQ on my mind also! I feel helpless with it all. I wish I could get my hands messy and help people out over there. But what can I do? Again... I feel helpless!

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
The gas price is the most significant thing here? Am I weird thinking that sounds not just a little strange?
Nothing against your post Pidd... it's all toward the ladies and gents who control the gas and oil prices.

FUCk those gas bastards and their dumb aSS prices! People are in a world of shIt in the dead wet lands and gas prices keep going up? Is there a connection? Don't know, don't care... just fUCkem'!! I hope they all choke on their oily gas smellin' poop and die in a corner. I'll light a match for em'. Bastards!

I'm glad I got that out my system... thanks!

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I keep checking this thread for posts from C and Eq... I know that with the power out and all that's going on, they have much more pressing things to do than sign in here, but the silence is getting tough to take.

As for the price of gas... a significant percentage of US oil comes from the area that is under water and/or shut down. Bush has opened the oil reserves, and that should help, but prices are bound to get ugly. I don't know enough about it to say if we're being gouged. It would be depressing to think that the looting mentality kicks in for people in control of such an important commodity. People's wellbeing depends on transportation. It seems kinda petty to whinge about higher prices when thousands are presumed dead, but it's not an insignificant problem when it makes the difference between affording to get to work or not. At that point, gas price victims are just outlying participants in the same tragedy.

They just said on the news that gangs in New Orleans are holding neighborhoods hostage and shooting at people who are trying to rescue survivors. Jesus...

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
They just said on the news that gangs in New Orleans are holding neighborhoods hostage and shooting at people who are trying to rescue survivors. Jesus...
WTF!!! People are crazy!

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I agree with SD's sentiments, keep hoping to hear from Caitlyn and Eq, it's always worrying, but I'm sure both are fine. I got an e-mail from my friend from New Orleans, him and most of his family are safe, but his brother in law is a cop, and stayed behind to help out with the rescue effort.
It's so frustraiting, I feel numb every time I watch the news just now, disasters like this bring out the best and worst in people, I just hope things get a little easier soon.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Ever wonder how thin the veneer of civilization is?
It apparently rubs off with water in 4 days.
You make it sound like Temporary Tattoos.

Half man, half machine
Originally Posted by jrs
With people looting its crazy, but stealing Televisions and the like is outrageous.... there is no electricity.
Plus the televisions are soaking wet...

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." - Roger Ebert

Originally Posted by jrs
With people looting its crazy, but stealing Televisions and the like is outrageous.... there is no electricity.
Originally Posted by MovieDan82
Plus the televisions are soaking wet...
Shhhhh! Let them find out later... when they get the tube home.

Some people need to learn by self experience.

Half man, half machine
Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Shhhhh! Let them find out later... when they get the tube home.

Some people need to learn by self experience.
NBC is showing some great footage of police officers looting stereo systems. When the reporter asked them what they were doing they replied, “We’re saving the stereos”.

Classy.

NBC is showing some great footage of police officers looting stereo systems.
When they do it... it is OK.

The things going on "next door" to me are beyond simple words. The feeling I get when I think about it is the exact same helpless feeling I got while my Army Unit helped clear the streets of a battered and destroyed Kuwait back during the first Gulf War. I think of so many things:
When my unit was put on alert that we were going to help liberate Kuwait we were there within 24 hours and could have been there even sooner. I am not talking 100's, I am talking thousands of soilders moved in a very short time. Why is it taking so long to get help to where it is needed. Forget safety and the floods, and all the excuses. If we were commanded to go help foreign allies and were able to get through the oil fires, sand storms, military resistance, etc... then were sure as Hell can navigate some flood waters.

Addressing the violence, looting, unrest:
Looting for any other means than survival should be punished, quickly and severly bootm line. A lot of these people have taken this horrible opportunity to display a "power" they have never been able to express before. The reason is fear plain and simple. We need to put the fear of punishment back into the hearts of the lawless. If it takes shooting a few of them then by God they desreve it. I am only talking about those who are wielding weapons an making it dangerous for everyone else, not the parent who rummages through a grocery store to find food for their faimily. It is going to get ugly, but we will save a lot more innocents if we put a stop to it now by whatever means need to be employed.

The looting and other viloence is not the main issue at hand however. Disease WILL set in soon, I have seen it in other places where no sanitation is available. We need to get everyone out of that area and we need to do it now, not when it is too late and they wind up dying even after they have been evacuated. The children are definitley suffering and dying as well as the elderly and the handicapped. It is hard to take care of someone else when you cannot take care of yourself.

I am mentioning theses things because I know first hand what it is like. Tempers will flare greatly and the death toll at the end of this thing is going to be awful.

One thing that bothers me is that the mindset of a lot of those I talk to is one of numbness. We do not have the time for that!!!! Be numb after it is over, for now take action. I of course am talking about those in a position to do so. We, as a nation and a race, need to get these people to safety first, and worry about gas prices, the wonderful landmarks, the future levee system, etc... later. All of those things are very important, but look at a gas station sign with a price of $3.50 or more and then look at a family dying of thirst on the roof of their home while bands of idiots shoot at would be rescuers and put it into perspective. Our government needs to do more and do it now, there is no excuse for waiting. If we can send our boys and girls into battle for another country we sure as hell can send them to save our own.

Originally Posted by 7thson
If we can send our boys and girls into battle for another country we sure as hell can send them to save our own.
Where's the money in that?

Half man, half machine
Hospitals in New Orleans are now taking sniper fire. I mean really, come on now...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Hospitals in New Orleans are now taking sniper fire. I mean really, come on now...
I just saw that, too.
What on earth is the motivation for that? Anyone??

I just saw that, too.
What on earth is the motivation for that? Anyone??
No health insurance?