What Makes a Movie Great? (reflection, not debate)

Tools    

I have plenty of perplexing claims and they're all important so listen up. I'm talking about the vocabulary. Orson Welles said it before and I'll verify his testimony. If the cinema wasn't fashioned by poets it'd still be no more than a mechanical curiosity occasionally on view to clean house. The cameras more than a registering apparatus; it's a means by which we receive messages from the other world. It's the beginning of magic. Hope you killas understand me.
I wonder if there's a less snobbish way of saying that.

This all still depends on what qualifies as a "poet". A poet can either be an artsy-fartsy compliment or simply refer to someone's occupation, but since the distinction is in the good and bad produced through that occupation I can only assume you mean "poet" in the pretentious sense.

I wonder if there's a less snobbish way of saying that.

This all still depends on what qualifies as a "poet". A poet can either be an artsy-fartsy compliment or simply refer to someone's occupation, but since the distinction is in the good and bad produced through that occupation I can only assume you mean "poet" in the pretentious sense.
Sick own.

CAN you absolve that? All you've said is "A film is never really good unless the camera is an eye in the head of a poet.", but so long as "poet" is this indefinite elite status which only you, yourself, as you've said, can arbitrarily define, then you're not really saying anything of actual consequence.

Is this an actual rule of yours you want taken seriously, or is it just a relevant quote you like to repeat? Cause all it's really saying is "good things are made by good people" which even, as I've pointed out, is questionable.

"Great, so if this a good movie?"

"Well, that depends, is it made by a poet? "

"I guess it depends on what you mean by 'poet'."

"Pff. Pleb."

It honestly probably just makes the most sense to interpret the quote retroactively by suggesting that "someone who makes a good movie is a poet" as opposed to "good movies are made by poets" which presents an entirely different connotation.

CAN you absolve that? All you've said is "A film is never really good unless the camera is an eye in the head of a poet.", but so long as "poet" is this indefinite elite status which only you, yourself, as you've said, can arbitrarily define, then you're not really saying anything of actual consequence.

Is this an actual rule of yours you want taken seriously, or is it just a relevant quote you like to repeat? Cause all it's really saying is "good things are made by good people" which even, as I've pointed out, is questionable.

"Great, so if this a good movie?"

"Well, that depends, is it made by a poet? "

"I guess it depends on what you mean by 'poet'."

"Pff. Pleb."

It honestly probably just makes the most sense to interpret the quote retroactively by suggesting that "someone who makes a good movie is a poet" as opposed to "good movies are made by poets" which presents an entirely different connotation.
It was just a reply to most movies don't depend on much more than a competent cameraman and editor anyway with some fire & brimstone.

It was just a reply to most movies don't depend on much more than a competent cameraman and editor anyway with some fire & brimstone.
I don't see the correlation. I was just pointing out that on the technical side of things, most movies in existence aren't dependent on CG or camera tricks. Dramas, for example, thrive purely on their writing and acting. "Technical mastery" has very little to do with making those movies work (assuming you don't count acting as "technical" as Zotis does).

Artists are the only ones trying to master the medium. They are the ones devoting their lives to it without regard for financial profits. They are the ones who go where no one else dares to go.

When the industry sees their success it realises it can cash out on that and begins it's immitation game. Hollywood is an industry. It makes movies for profit first and formost. They are little more than marketing scams and child's play compared to the masters.

Acting is a part of technical mastery because there is technique to acting that must be mastered. Like being able to cry without a cut or fake teardrops. What they are acting out is the content. In a great movie not only what they're doing must have deep meaning and multiple layers, but it must be done in a way that shows mastery of the art form.

Acting is only impressive when the actor is an artist, not as a profession, but as something intangibly more. That is when professional actors are in awe of it, and can't help but recognize there is something special they themselves have never achieved but hope to one day.

Artists are the only ones trying to master the media.
The "medium"? You can be an artist without ever mastering the medium, and you can acknowledge that as well.

Originally Posted by Zotis
They are the ones devoting their lives to it without regard for financial profits.
Professional artists, as the ones MOST LIKELY to master their talents usually depend on the income their work generates. Ever heard of a "starving artist"? They're dedicated to their skill, but let's not pretend that they have no regard for profit.

Starving artists don't even need to be good, they can also be stubborn talentless hacks.

They are the ones who go where no one else dares to go.
This is similar to what banality said, it makes the most sense to retroactively interpret it as a compliment to innovators by calling them "artists", but taken the way it seems to be intended it begs the question of what qualifies as an "artist".

Acting is a part of technical mastery because there is technique to acting that must be mastered.
There's technique to writing too, but you insisted that that was "meaningful content".

Like being able to cry without a cut or fake teardrops. What they are acting out is the content. In a great movie not only what they're doing must have deep meaning and multiple layers, but it must be done in a way that shows mastery of the art form.
Why?

Why can't a movie simply be an experience and tailored to suit that particular experience? Some experiences work best at multiple levels, but others are more straightforward. Some experiences demand the extent of what their medium can offer to produce their intended effect, but others need very little and can be effective without needing to flex their apparent credentials.

This insistence on "deep meaning" and "multiple layers" damns numerous fine movie experiences simply by failing to achieve these specific virtues you set out for it, even though those virtues were never the intended goal of the movie.

You can simply say that you prefer these aspects in movies, and I'd concede that, but by insisting that they be mandatory qualities any movie should have to be great... frankly I'd sooner side with the "if it accomplishes what it set out to do then it's great" guys, and I've already said what I feel about that sentiment.

Acting is only impressive when the actor is an artist, not as a profession, but as something intangibly more.
That "intangibility" is what muddies up your idea of objective greatness (or "true greatness" as you put it).

As an aside, do you still insist on purely objective "greatness"? Cause as I mentioned, it clashes with your previous admission that movies are most effectively judged through both objective and subjective lenses.

You also made no comment on when I disagreed that movies can't be great if they're flawed.

I'm replying on my phone so I'll just use quotation marks. I meant medium not media.

"You can be an artist without ever mastering the medium, and you can acknowledge that as well."

Maybe you say that because you are thinking of mastering the medium in a different context. I wouldn't call that mastery though.

What is this need of yours to be so precise in labelling it with words? Words are inadequate. When you see true greatness then it becomes clear, but there is no way to measure it.

I don't still insist on purely objective greatness. I don't even really understand it. What does objective mean, and what does subjective mean? Our feelings and the physical properties are both their. What is greatness based on? I don't know. Nor do I care to define it in such meaningless terms.

Can you, Omnizoa, understand what it means to reflect without arguing? Stop picking at words. Just think internally and try to grow in understanding. Don't pretend that some money grabbibg scheme can be just as good as sheer brilliance.

But I'm curious, what do you think the greatest movie of all time is?

Edit: "There's technique to writing too."

I think the same principle applies to writing as acting. If I said otherwise before then I retract it.

Maybe you say that because you are thinking of mastering the medium in a different context. I wouldn't call that mastery though.
Okay. That begs the question, but I won't pursue it.

What is this need of yours to be so precise in labelling it with words? Words are inadequate. When you see true greatness then it becomes clear, but there is no way to measure it.
Well, that would make reviewing rather pointless, then wouldn't it?

I don't still insist on purely objective greatness. I don't even really understand it. What does objective mean, and what does subjective mean?
I think you have a pretty good idea, though "subjective" may be better called "relative" as in how a movie is great relative to it's goal or relative to an audience's expectation.

Can you, Omnizoa, understand what it means to reflect without arguing? Stop picking at words.
I always thought it was a bit of a longshot to suggest a thread about how we measure the quality of something without debate.

Don't pretend that some money grabbibg scheme can be just as good as sheer brilliance.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was a commercial endorsement and is one of my favorite movies.

It's rare, but ill-intentions can produce good results.

But I'm curious, what do you think the greatest movie of all time is?
I'd have to see every movie ever made to make that assessment and even then, the sheer scope of such an undertaking merely reminds me that not all movies can be adequately judged from one vantage point.

I think the same principle applies to writing as acting. If I said otherwise before then I retract it.
If we're willing to agree that all aspects of production can be called "technical" then it stands that you can have an high quality, entertaining (acting/story/action) movie without necessarily being deep in meaning or interpretable layers.

"Well, that would make reviewing rather pointless, then wouldn't it?"

That's why I don't pay attention to most critics and ratings. There is value in reflecting for personal growth, but anything can be criticised and anything can be ridiculed. Just because a criticism is made though, doesn't mean it's valid.

"Okay. That begs the question, but I won't pursue it."

A person's concept of greatness is usually defined by the greatest thing they've experienced so far. My standards may just be higher because you haven't seen what I've seen.

"I always thought it was a bit of a longshot to suggest a thread about how we measure the quality of something without debate."

I think it is just a matter of attitude. Instead of taking what another person says and telling them they're wrong, share your thoughts in a more neutral way.

"I'd have to see every movie ever made to make that assessment and even then, the sheer scope of such an undertaking merely reminds me that not all movies can be adequately judged from one vantage point."

You just need to be more aware of what's out there. Sample more spheres instead of watching movies from mostly one sphere (Hollywood). Sample more countries, more decades, and research what styles are out there. Last year I learned about Hyper Realism, Fench New Wave, Chinese New Wave, and I'm constantly expanding. I watched all of Tarkovsky's feature length movies (except his documentary), and he is probably the greatest film maker who ever lived. His movies raised the par for excellence to places I never knew before. You have to do that too in order to even really participate in the conversation. Otherwise it's like going into a scientific debate about the stages of matter without knowing what plasma is.

"If we're willing to agree that all aspects of production can be called "technical" then it stands that you can have an high quality, entertaining (acting/story/action) movie without necessarily being deep in meaning or interpretable layers."

Of course you can, but you can't call those movies just as good as movies that have that plus deep meaning and interpretable layers.

That's why I don't pay attention to most critics and ratings. There is value in reflecting for personal growth, but anything can be criticised and anything can be ridiculed. Just because a criticism is made though, doesn't mean it's valid.
There is a distinction to be made between valid and invalid though. Reviews can be useful if you can distinguish personal bias from veritable criticism. If the same things bother the reviewer that bother you then you can generally rely on their input to inform what you view.

It's not just a tool for reinforcing peoples' opinions. I know there are things I bought based on reviews that addressed my initial concerns and they paid off. Reviews can also serve as entertainment too.

A person's concept of greatness is usually defined by the greatest thing they've experienced so far. My standards may just be higher because you haven't seen what I've seen.
I could say the same. You never did comment on my review of Ikiru. Did you consider that a flawless movie?

I think it is just a matter of attitude. Instead of taking what another person says and telling them they're wrong, share your thoughts in a more neutral way.
Debate needn't be antagonistic.

You just need to be more aware of what's out there. Sample more spheres instead of watching movies from mostly one sphere (Hollywood). Sample more countries, more decades, and research what styles are out there. Last year I learned about Hyper Realism, Fench New Wave, Chinese New Wave, and I'm constantly expanding. I watched all of Tarkovsky's feature length movies (except his documentary), and he is probably the greatest film maker who ever lived. His movies raised the par for excellence to places I never knew before. You have to do that too in order to even really participate in the conversation. Otherwise it's like going into a scientific debate about the stages of matter without knowing what plasma is.
Ignoring your presumption, simply expanding the range of what someone watches doesn't make them any more credible in the "I know what the best X of all time is" department. No one can know that without omniscience and insisting otherwise comes off as elitist.

Of course you can, but you can't call those movies just as good as movies that have that plus deep meaning and interpretable layers.
That seems true, but it also asserts that such a thing exists objectively. In reality these things are not linear. As I've said, not all movies benefit from these virtues you're promoting.

I could say the same. You never did comment on my review of Ikiru. Did you consider that a flawless movie?
I haven't seen it yet. I'm avoiding spoilers, so I didn't read your review.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Our attitude prior to watching. I've always been on the side of the Force, rather than the Trekkies, but that hasn't stopped me from checking out both franchises. As a kid, I remember seeing parts of Star Trek I on TV many times and every time it looked boring, like a movie about a ship standing in a space dock, with lots of talking and no action. Growing up, I started by watching Star Trek II, III, IV... and ignoring The Motion Picture. A few weeks ago I finally watched part one for the very first time and it wasn't that bad, but it took many many years and an attitude change to accomplish. The Wrath of Khan is still tops.

That's Return of the Jedi and he specifically rejects it.
Eh- I'm wrong. They call him general.

To be fair he's involved in every major Rebellion conflict we know about and considering the Rebellion is an organization that sees it's people and property killed off and taken over repeatedly, it makes sense that they'd lavish one guy who's consistently pulled off victories for them.

This is also intended to be their final battle too, this isn't some minor skirmish that they put him in charge of so they need to bring their A-game.

I want to talk about this without entering the objective vs subjective debate. I've been thinking a lot lately about movies like Star Wars, Starship Troopers and Saving Private Ryan. Compare them with Blade Runner, Come and See, and Stalingrad. People enjoy movies for all kinds of reasons, and most of the time they don't even know why they liked it or didn't like it, and the reasons they come up with are either dishonest or ignorant. I find it a challenge within myself to identify why I like or dislike something, and I try to be honest with myself, and I try to learn and grow. Sometimes I say "the cinematography was great," but I don't really know much about cinematography or what makes it great. And I see so many people saying some movie is great while other people say it's bad, and even people who have similar taste don't agree about a lot of movies.

What I was thinking about Star Wars, Starship Troopers, and Saving Private Ryan is that these are three movies a ton of people adore, but I usually find that the people who's taste and knowledge of cinema I respect the most hate these two movies and write them off as garbage. These are people who if you mention Godard, Ozu, and Tarkovsky will say, "Oh absolutely, they're magnificent." And as I've been exposing myself to more of these great arthouse directors I've been starting to feel the same way. So what makes Stalingrad a great movie if Saving Private Ryan is crap? I watched The Empire Strikes Back a few weeks ago after having not watched it for years. I used to love the original Star Wars trilogy so much up until now. When I watched it last I just couldn't help but notice how implausible some scenarios were, and how the dialogue was nice and pleasant but never dealt with anything particularly meaningful. A Wampa sneaks up on Luke even though it's a huge noisy creature. A Tauntaun dies from the cold in it's natural habitat before it's human rider, and instead of going through hypothermia it just drops dead instantly. Luke, Han, and Lando become generals with no explanation or military responsibilities. There are a lot of things like that which make no sense at all. Now I know that a lot of people would say that's nit picking, and you're just supposed to have fun and not think to much about it. Well, that's fine, but you can't call a movie truly great when it has so many flaws and little merit beyond "it's entertaining." For some people entertainment is all they think movies are. Those people probably think that art is just something you see in museums.

Consider Star Wars to be a movie that people love because it's entertaining and has a certain production level that makes it visually appealing to the untrained eye. What sets the par for excellence so high that Star Wars does not even come close to reaching it? Alternatively consider how Stalingrad portrays war and the lives of soldiers. Star Wars is about war, but we see nothing of the agony of the wounded and dying, or the trauma of veterans, the fear of death, the moral dilema of killing, survival, etc... Star Wars is a childish concept of war and an unrealistic fantasy of adventure. I've heard so often from people who were in the army that they joined with foolish ideals of adventure and the reality of war was shocking and sobering. But Star Wars is about a kid who dreams of joining the army and going on an adventure, and instead of being surprised by the reality of war it actually turns out to be that his childish dreams come true. It's like the fanfiction of a child who has no grasp on how the real world works.

The two main areas of importance that I see so far in my understanding of cinema are technical mastery and meaningful content. Technical mastery includes directing, cinematography, acting, etc... And meaningful content refers to how it's subject matter is handled, how events transpire, how characters behave, what kind of things they talk about, and whether all of these things are reflected in a meaningful way. Realism is not the only portrayal with merit. Anyone can write that a character accomplishes a task, it's not impressive if the character does what's in the script because it's in the script. The real question is whether what's accomplished is done as it would have been done in real life. Other forms besides realism, like surrealism, find merit in how they make the viewer reflect, or how creative they are.

I'm still learning a lot, and since joining movieforums.com my most exciting growth in cinema has been exposure to arthouse. But I think that arguing about quality with people like Miss Vicky, Iroquois, and Omnizoa has been extremely unproductive and even stressful. I prefer when I get a sense of clarity and reflect on other people's perspectives and sharing my own with those who are interested instead of cramming my personal opinions down other peoples' throats and trying to force them to adopt my perspective.

So I'm curious to hear what insights you guys have into what makes a movie great. Where are you guys at in your personal growth, and where are you striving to be?
I'm not even sure if you can say why a movie's great without the objective/subjective thing. If you really want the answer, you've gotta be objective, right? Simple as that. I don't buy subjectivity, just like you don't (at least I read Omni saying it). I really do believe there's objective truth out there, I call it God as a Christian. So, I really do believe that's it's possible (even if not for a human being) to objectively say if the movie's good or not. Maybe the main issue here, just like on so many occasions is reasoning itself. By that i mean just pure thought. Of coure that one can't even tell a story without it. So, is there even such a thing as positive thinking, or is it a cliche? God knows that there are evil thoughts. But are there not-evil ones? I don't know. Because if there aren't, then all movies are garbage, unless there's a movie without reason behind it, and I find that difficult to imagine. What I meant by a movie objectively being good or not was in the emotional sphere. (Music, scenery) Of course, as I am in the thought sphere right now, which is disconnected from the emotional one (I'm not even sure about that, I think everything's connected afterall, that's the only thing that makes sense to me, but I am in the thought sphere, and I don't buy one can describe emotions (such as those provoqued by music), so it's really hard, if not impossible) But then again, I do believe there's good and bad (I might even call it evil) music, or at least less good, depending on who wrote it, as I really do believe that there are good and evil people (obviously not black and white, but I believe one person is objectively better than another) So yeah, ironically, as much as I can't stand Star Wars for being too intense and rigid in the reason sphere (Lucas), I think it's one of the best ones uot there simply because of Williams' score. But I'm focusing solely on music here. Just imagine the movie without it.

That's because Star Wars is not supposed to be realistic in any way. The basic premise itself is totally far-fetched and nothing to do with actual science. By involving lightsabers and hyperdrive, the film is begging the audience from the start to suspend all disbelief, so why even expect realism from such an attitude. Star Wars is childish but it isn't so because it intends to shut itself out from reality. It's purpose is to put imagination and creativity into minds of children, and provide nostalgia and a nice break for adults. Star Wars is not a war film. It is a remarkable action (and somewhat sci-fi) film praising bravery, friendship, and love. If Star Wars had, let's say, imagery of soldiers lying around with pain, would I have been able to pick up my Star Wars lego set and have my own original adventures? No other movie has had such an effect, and it's why it's brilliant. So you can dislike Star Wars for not having a portrayal of events that are considered worthy of praise, but you can't deny it's quality by comparing it to Stalingrad or The Thin Red Line.
Just my two bits. IMHO, Star Wars is a war movie, a war between good and evil. I think Lucas said so at least.

IMO... 'in my opinion' is something that a lot of people don't understand. They state their 'opinions' like it's a 'global truth' for all. If we're debating facts, then there might be only one 'truth'. But when it comes to something subjective as a movie, then there's no one right opinion ...and it's BS for anyone to claim their opinion is more valid than the next guy.

For any movie ever made there will be people who love it and hate it. And often it becomes in-vogue to feel one way or another about a film. Even at MoFo meme-isms influence how some people feel about films. I've noticed it's the cool thing to knock critically acclaimed Hollywood big pictures like Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars or Titanic (1997). People often try to make themselves look smarter by panning popularism, and then endorsing more obscure stuff. It happens with aficionados of wine, travel, literature and even film.

So, IMO what makes a good film...is when the film achieves what it sets out to do and it then resonates on some level with the viewer. That's it.
I agree. I believe there's only one truth. I just don't know what it is. One thing I must disagree (sorry Rules) with is again subjectivity. I believe there's no such thing. Everything's objective. (IMHO)

Hi everyone... Just a quick note that my initial first post was in the "business" section and involves the fan-funding and crowd sourcing of film projects and their pros and cons.

In terms of this debate, my own view is that a good movie is one that strikes a powerful emotional chord. So many movie these don't empower fans to care about success or failure of the characters involved. Star Wars did a masterful job of this by introducing characters and putting them in increasingly dark situations in the middle act.

Fans became interested in the success of failure of Luke, Han, Leah and the Rebellion at large.

Isn't that the common bond of all he great movies we loved, that we become invested in the characters?

Isn't that the common bond of all he great movies we loved, that we become invested in the characters?
Was anyone emotionally invested in any of the characters from Monty Python's Holy Grail?

There's more to movies than that.

Was anyone emotionally invested in any of the characters from Monty Python's Holy Grail?

There's more to movies than that.
Well... I'd hope we'd differentiate between story driven films and comedy driven films. In one genre the story is there as a priority... in the other the story exists to house jokes to make people laugh.

Well... I'd hope we'd differentiate between story driven films and comedy driven films. In one genre the story is there as a priority... in the other the story exists to house jokes to make people laugh.
And in a musical it's a music-driven film, you see what I'm getting at here?