Step Right In! Witness A Swan Discuss Cinema!

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
I like how everyone's writing the title wrong.

Well anyways I haven't seen any Tarr so I need to check him out. Big fan of slow motion so I should like his work.

ANTICHRIST
BY LARS VON TRIER

Nice flick!

Master of My Domain
Does Anti-Christ have actual anti-Christian themes or is the title just like that?

Does Anti-Christ have actual anti-Christian themes or is the title just like that?
You should watch it and find out.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (Henry Selick, 1993)

I feel like there's a lot of backlash for this film now. People like to hate it because it's one of those "edgy teenager" movies - movies every angsty teen who views themselves an outsider loves. But who cares? It's such a great movie! Pure and simple. There is passion visible in every frame and anyone who has ever tried stop-motion knows just how freaking ambitious this film is. They wouldn't have been able to make it without passion. It wouldn't have been possible. And the incredible seamless stop-motion aside, talk about musical greatness. Danny Elfman is a badass.

You haven't seen it? Dude! It's a classic!
I've always wanted to watch it but I never really have the chance to... I surely catch it up during October

Tarr intimidates me, even though I've yet to watch any of his films. The Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies have been on my watchlist for a few years now.

I didn't like Nightmare Before Christmas when I watched it as a kid, but I think I'd appreciate it a lot more now. I keep meaning to revisit it. Street of Crocodiles looks fascinating. I don't seek out a lot of short films, but I think I'll make an exception for this one. I think it's very cool that your aunt introduced you to it. Nobody in my family would ever know anything about something like that.

I kept seeing people online call the trailer for Goodnight Mommy the "scariest of all-time," so I looked it up. I don't see what's so scary about it, but the trailer certainly has an evocative, unnerving quality about it. I look forward to watching the film at some point. I love your passionate write-up for it, even though it's more about your own personal vision than the film itself. I think it bodes well for your future artistic endeavors that you already have such a clear vision of what you want to accomplish. Of course, making sure that the finished product still resembles what you envisioned in your head is always the most difficult part. I've had similar experiences to your viewing of Goodnight Mommy. I want a film to surprise me and shock me and do things that I don't expect. But sometimes a film will veer right when I think the better, more interesting film waited undiscovered in the opposite direction. Or a film will simply approach its material with a different eye than what I think it should have. I think that feeling of disappointment can help us gain a better understanding of our sensibilities just as much, if not more so, than a film that hits all the right buttons. So at least your viewing of Goodnight Mommy was beneficial in that regard.

The thing about Nightmare Before Christmas is... it's a family film. I started it the other day and felt it was perfect aside from the fact that it felt like a family film. But last night I had no problems with that fact at all. I think preparing yourself that yes, this is a movie meant to be enjoyed by all ages, you will maybe appreciate it - and some of the surprisingly dark humor - a bit more. Just keep that in mind. A good example is, there's a bit with the vampires playing hockey with a pumpkin. Originally, it was meant to be a decapitated head. I would have preferred that, personally, but knowing it's meant for the family the makers had to make compromises. I can't really condemn it for being a family film, ultimately. And in the end, I love Nightmare for it's ambition, creativity and rich art design, not to mention the fantastic characters and clever story. It's clearly influenced by the likes of Ray Harryhausen, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and Edward Gory, three people/things I admire greatly. So, really, it's no surprise I like it so much.

Thanks for the post, Cap.

Lady and the Tramp (Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske, 1955)

I haven't watched any of the Disney classics since I was a very little kid. And I'll admit, watching this I felt like a kid again. I was smitten by it. Sometimes, it's fun to just get lost in a good bit of entertainment - a fact I constantly forget. It plays it safe and there nothing profoundly insightful, but how can I criticize it for that? It knows what it is, and anyway it's artistry lies elsewhere. It lies in the storytelling, simple and non-convoluted yet entertaining and moving at the same time. It lies in the amazing humanization of the dog characters. And most importantly, to me, it lies in the absolutely genius animation skill. There's a reason Disney is renowned among animators. It's because the stunning animation skill, with things like movement and light, that help give so much personality to these characters only go towards improving and helping what is already great storytelling. Yes, the animation from a technical perspective is stunning - Disney was a pioneering, revolutionary force in the field - but it would be nothing without a good story.

Overall, this film is timeless, enduring, unpretentious, charming, and simply a joy to behold.

Side-note, I may be underrating it here, but there are a few reasons for that. I'm trying to be stricter, for one, but also I'm holding out in hopes I'll find upon rewatch even more impressive cinema in the classic Disney catalogue. Perhaps as I go along I'll find this one really stuck in my mind, and my love for it will grow. For now, however, I'm going to stop myself from jumping the gun and rating it too highly - something I've done far too much in the past.

+ (Great, very memorable)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well I agree with most everything you say, right down to the rating. This was the movie Brenda and I watched at the hospital while waiting for her to dilate enough to give birth to Sarah. "We are Siamese if you please. We are Siamese if you don't please."

Well I agree with most everything you say, right down to the rating. This was the movie Brenda and I watched at the hospital while waiting for her to dilate enough to give birth to Sarah. "We are Siamese if you please. We are Siamese if you don't please."
That's awesome, Mark. Thanks for sharing.

I may have been wrong in some places, however. For example, I just read that there's a whole subtext that completely went over my head but is very clearly there. With that in mind, I was wrong to say it played it safe - in fact quite the opposite.