Recommendations for slow/contemplating movies

Tools    

Hello,

I need some recommendations based on my favorite titles from here:
//letterboxd.com/galimx/list/favorite-movies-extended

Im mostly searching for slow and contemplative movies, with dreamy atmosphere or just very haunting poetic things overall. I know about most of the things from my favorite directors, so im searching for something more "obscure" or "less known", stuff I never heard about. In recent months I found for example director Sokurov (Spiritual Voices, love his impressionistic and ghostly movies). Another good example would be Sharunas Bartas. There are also things like Rousseau's The Enclosed Valley or Benning's Stemple Pass. "Documentaries" that mix well with fiction. Or Eric Pauwels memory trilogy. Maybe I also should watch some Lav Diaz, heard he is the king of "slow cinema", but his movies seem drastically long and im not sure they are directed in a "tarkovsky-like" or "bela tarr" way. If either of those two applies to Lav Diaz, I might try him out. What do you guys think? Can anyone recommend similar titles or just give anything you think I would like. Also, do you guys have letterboxd?

Thank you!

i doubt there's much i could recommend to you that isn't already on your radar but here are a few under-seen films i really like that fit your description to some extent:

sans lendemain (max ophüls, 1939)
une si jolie petite plage (yves allegret, 1949)
workers (jose luis valle, 2013)
finals (adel yaraghi, 2016)
wind traces (jimena montemayor, 2017)
november (rainer sarnet, 2017)
where is kyra? (andrew dosunmu, 2018)
the body remembers when the world broke open (elle-máijá tailfeathers, kathleen hepburn, 2019)
the sleepwalkers (paula hernandez, 2019)
i was at home, but (angela schanelec, 2019) [i actually didn't like this one but i know a lot of people who love it and it seems up your alley]
isadora's children (damien manivel, 2019)
atlantics (mati diop, 2019)

also i noticed you've only rated a few kiarostamis and he's my favorite director, so i recommend checking out everything he's done. certified copy and close-up are my favorites that you haven't rated, and i think you'd also really dig 24 frames and shirin.

Thank God I‘m an atheist.
From your list you seem to be a real art-house fiend. I noticed you didn’t have any titles from Nuri Bilge Ceylan. I'll suggest: The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978)

La Belle Noiseuse (1991)

The Shape of Things (2003) An art student changes a dud into a stud as her doctoral thesis, a very subtle film.

Summer hours (2008) An exploration about the passage of time.

The Turin Horse

Supposedly the final film by Bela Tarr, it's the bleak tale of a farmer and his daughter whose lives slowly grow bleaker and more hopeless when their horse refuses to move or eat. I'd say this fits you're definition: It's probably the most slow-paced film I've ever seen, it's got an atmosphere that I would refer to as 'dreamy' and I do consider the atmosphere to be very 'haunting'.

A Hidden Life

The most recent film by Terrence Malick, it is a three hour epic about an Austrian farmer who refuses to fight with Germany in World War Two. There is a story here, but most of this film is filled with slow, contemplative scenes that show the emotions of the characters with amazing cinematography. I'd call it poetic.

Straight off the bat, the films of Terrence Malick come to mind, and like @HashtagBrownies just mentioned, A Hidden Life is a perfect case in point.

Another that deserves consideration is Trey Edward Shults' most film Waves.

Krzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colours trilogy also comes to mind, especially Blue.

These may not be 100% perfect match with the OP but after browsing your seen films these seem like something you may want to see (coming from someone who often likes slow and dreamlike horror movies but not necessarily the art house films):

Dust Devil (1992)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
Dark Waters (1993)
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)
In a Glass Cage (1986)
The Reflecting Skin (1990)

The other suggestions on this list seem to be above my pay grade, but I would recommend:

Melancholia (2011)
and
Sergey Bondachuk's War and Peace (1966) especially the second part; it goes on for ever and ever.

Setsuko Hara is my co-pilot
Wow, you're not a beginner at all! The list contains so many of my favourites, and only 3 films I haven't seen!

Lav Diaz isn't really like Tarkovsky or Tarr. Seriously. The only thing they have in common is the use of long takes, and in case of Bela, black and white. Lav Diaz is much more political than Tarr who sometimes tends to be political too, but in a more allegorical way. Anyway, Melanchlia and Death in the Land of Encantos are two must-sees. Just don't think you'll get the same metaphysical thing you get from Tarkovsky. It's much more down-to-earth, although extremely moody and drone-y.

I'm at work now, so don't really have much time, and can't really think of anything to recommend that you haven't already seen , but here's my Letterboxd. I'm pretty sure you can find lots of valuable stuff in my 5s and 4.5s.

These may not be 100% perfect match with the OP but after browsing your seen films these seem like something you may want to see (coming from someone who often likes slow and dreamlike horror movies but not necessarily the art house films):

Dust Devil (1992)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
Dark Waters (1993)
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)
In a Glass Cage (1986)
The Reflecting Skin (1990)
I was just thinking of The Reflecting Skin! Very much a slow, dreamlike film.

Hello,

I need some recommendations based on my favorite titles from here:
//letterboxd.com/galimx/list/favorite-movies-extended
Here's some of my faves to consider checking out:

Movie Title (Year) – Director

Shirin (2008) – Abbas Kiarostami

24 Frames (2017) – Abbas Kiarostami

Like Someone in Love (2012) – Abbas Kiarostami

Fortini/Cani (1976) – Straub-Huillet

Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach (1968) – Straub-Huillet

Workers, Peasants (2001) – Straub-Huillet

Germany Year 90 Nine Zero (1991) – Jean-Luc Godard

Porto of My Childhood (2001) – Manoel de Oliveira

Secret Defense (1998) – Jacques Rivette

Haut Bas Fragile (1995) – Jacques Rivette

Out 1, Noli me tangere (1971) – Jacques Rivette

Nocturne 29 (1968) – Pere Portabella

The Antiquities of Rome (1991) – Jean-Claude Rousseau

Jeune femme à sa fenêtre lisant une lettre (1983) – Jean-Claude Rousseau

Socrates (1971) – Roberto Rossellini

The Age of Medici (1972) – Roberto Rossellini

The World (2004) – Jia Zhangke

The Passenger (1975) – Michelangelo Antonioni

In Vanda's Room (2000) – Pedro Costa

The Man from London (2007) – Tarr-Hranitzky

You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet (2012) – Alain Resnais

Muriel, or the Time of Return (1963) – Alain Resnais

Tabu (2012) – Miguel Gomes

Three Times (2005) – Hou Hsiao-hsien

Syndromes and a Century (2006) – Apichatpong Weerasethakul

A good bit of the films in that LB list you posted are also among my favorites, so I hope you're able to find a something worthwhile from these recommendations