Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Master of My Domain
But to me, the rest is boring, sentimental, preachy, one-sided and uninteresting.
You're not just describing Saving Private Ryan, you're describing most of Spielberg's 21c filmography. I wonder why he feels the need to keep cranking out dubious amounts of energy-drained dramas. At least he occasionally makes something good.

You're not just describing Saving Private Ryan, you're describing most of Spielberg's 21c filmography. I wonder why he feels the need to keep cranking out dubious amounts of energy-drained dramas. At least he occasionally makes something good.
Well, to some extent I agree.

But I don't mind being emotionally manipulated once in a while or watch movies that are heavy on sentimentality.

But SPR was just stupid war propaganda that bored me in an almost 3 hour walk to rescue a single soldier. Screw honor, loyalty or whatever military excuse for such a dumb plotline for a movie. Its message felt so forced too. I just didn't click with it...

But SPR was just stupid war propaganda that bored me in an almost 3 hour walk to rescue a single soldier. Screw honor, loyalty or whatever military excuse for such a dumb plotline for a movie. Its message felt so forced too. I just didn't click with it...
Don't you think your gripe with that is covered by the soldiers, and don't you think the whole point is to show that soldiers have to follow orders no matter how problematic they find it?

My point is I think Speilberg probably feels the same way as you do. If by propaganda, you mean the film is pro-war, I think you are very wrong.

Master of My Domain
But I don't mind being emotionally manipulated once in a while or watch movies that are heavy on sentimentality.
Me too, but sentimentality is irritating when done poorly. That's why Dr. Smith Goes to Washington is great, but Lincoln isn't.

Me too, but sentimentality is irritating when done poorly. That's why Dr. Smith Goes to Washington is great, but Lincoln isn't.
You couldn't have that more backwards.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've tried to write something thoughtful about the last few posts, but it either comes out too angry or too toothless. Needless to say, I feel a little embarrassed, for me and for you guys.

War is stupid no matter what in my opinion, so it's hard to make a film that doesn't come off as being just that.

And yes, sean, maybe Spielberg do intent to show how dumb war is by putting up a plotline that depicts soldiers who have to follow orders no matter how stupid they sound. But a 3 hour movie about that? A 3 hour movie of every possible thing that can show the following: "is this really worth it?" No thank you, I had enough 20 minutes into the central plotline.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I've tried to write something thoughtful about the last few posts, but it either comes out too angry or too toothless.
Allow me to step in for you

While Spielberg's output may have dipped in quality since the turn of the century I still don't understand the large backlash so many people seem to have against him. And not even just his recent stuff, people seem to want to go back and crap on his older stuff as well. Perhaps it's just because he's deemed old-fashioned now, or that he represents 'the man' in movie-making terms. Either way I still tend to have more interest in a new Spielberg film than I do the new film of many a internet darling; David O. Russell. Paul Thomas Anderson, Terrence Malick etc

You had a great post going and then you had to get your shots in on PTA and Russell. Come on Jaydee, wd could have been on the same side for once.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
You had a great post going and then you had to get your shots in on PTA and Russell. Come on Jaydee, wd could have been on the same side for once.
As I was writing that I thought, "I'm going to lose Sean here". In fact you're kind of why I included it in the first place!

I love Spielberg. I'm just not a fan of Saving Private Ryan.

That doesn't take away from the fact that I still think highly of many of his other films and usually find him to be one of the few directors who deliver sentimentality so well, that you can't blame him for it or be negative about it. I think I even discussed how Spielberg "earns it" in my review for E.T. ... A movie I awarded with a

Other works of his that I love, include Jurassic Park, Raiders, Crusade, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, Jaws and even movies like War of the Worlds and The Terminal. Almost ALL of these films are close to
ratings or a
at the least...

There is just something about him doing the whole war thing. I remember being in conflict with Schindler's List as well. Anyways, I do owe Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List a proper rewatch, especially the latter. But I'm not exactly in a hurry.

I'm stuck on the propaganda thing. If you think Saving Private Ryan in any way promotes or defends war, you weren't actually watching the movie. I agree that Spielberg's recent output hasn't ben great, but I've never felt that a Speilberg film was actively bad. At worst, they're okay and undeserving of their praise.

Oh I'm sorry, did I say propaganda? I meant prop-agenda.

A plan or goal that guides someone's behavior, but ultimately feels false and without proper weight.

Yeah that's it.

* indicates a rewatch

Forsaken
Jon Cassar | 2015

Jim: The James Foley Story
Brian Oakes | 2016

John Mulaney: The Comeback Kid *
Rhys Thomas | 2015

The Jungle Book
Jon Favreau | 2016

My Beautiful Broken Brain
Sophie Robinson, Lotje Sodderland | 2014

Sherlock: The Abominable Bride
Douglas Mackinnon | 2016

War is stupid no matter what in my opinion, so it's hard to make a film that doesn't come off as being just that...
I think war is stupid too, so is murder...but every other film made is about murder and people love that. You don't have to like war to like a war movie.

Question: Does your hatred of SPR have anything to do with the Americans being the heroes in the movie? The Allies were the heroes of WWII. That doesn't mean the 'heroes' always acted ethically, war is seldom fair.

I have to return some videotapes...
Side Effects (2013) -
++

First half was great and it really falls off from there and becomes extremely generic. Can't recommend.

Woody Allen is a pedophille

Outlandish and hilarious at sometimes, mean spirited and dumb at others. Luckily the good outweighed the bad. I still hate the blond one though.
+