Best Murder Mystery

Tools    

So what do people consider to be the best murder mystery movie? I really liked final analysis which was techincally a remake of the masterpiece vertigo... I also liked Jennifer eight...

Not sure why you posted this in the DVD forum, but so be it.

My answer is simple: Chinatown (1974 - Roman Polanski), which I consider to be not only the best murder mystery, but the best overall film ever made.

"He OWNS the Police!"
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

BANNED
Gotta see that one!

Personally, I like Vertigo and also some of Hitchcock's other movies too.

I also like the movie Primal Fear, another Richard Gere movie--not necessarily because it's the best murder mystery ever made, but more because I've seen it recently and can't think of another murder mystery offhand! Though it is a pretty decent movie all the same.

Shake well before opening.
i cant think of any really good mystery murders because i usually dont classify any movies i see into that category but i'd go with primal fear. That movie is a proclomation of edward nortons genius and richard gere's coolness.

Only for the weak
Chinatown is definetly a good one. Seven is a good one too, and Memento, for the newer movies.

Oh i have never seen chinatown. I know, I know I do need to see that. I agree Primal fear is total genius! Total genius. I think movies which incorporate religion in to them always tend to be interesting. I am not religious, but it always grabs my complete attention. Any suggestions for movies which deal with religion.

Identity was a pretty cool recent one.

My favorite though probably has to be either the Maltese Falcon, or Se7en. If you consider those two in this category.

SEVEN! that movie was out of control!!!!

Only for the weak
I just watched The Usual Suspects for the first time(I know I'm behind), and was very impressed. If you like twist endings and such, you'll love it.

Forgot about The Usual Suspects...

Not great movies, but I always liked to try and work out the killer or killers in the Agatha Christie stories. I know, Nerd

Some great ones mentioned (Seven, Chinatown etc)

A few of my faves Murder/Mysteries, such a broad genre I will try and give a fave from each area……

Otto Preminger’s ANATOMY OF A MURDER
Arthur Penn’s NIGHT MOVES
Christopher Nolan’s MEMENTO
Howard Hawkes THE BIG SLEEP
Carol Reed’s THE THIRD MAN
John Huston’s THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER
Bruce Robinson’s JENNIFER 8
Alan Parker’s ANGEL HEART
Richard Fleischer’s THE BOSTON STRANGLER
Steven Soderburgh’s THE LIMEY

Because it’s a fun genre Some theatrical and witty Murder Mysteries that have to be mentioned-

Robert Moore’s MURDER BY DEATH
Joseph L Mankewicz’s SLEUTH
Johnathon Lyne’s CLUE
Sidney Lumet’s DEATHTRAP
Herbert Ross’s THE 7% SOLUTION
Thom Eberhardt’s WITHOUT A CLUE

Semper Fooey
And Then There Were None (1945)

Murder on the Orient Express (1973)

The Last of Sheila

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

DOA (1950)

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Green for Danger

I love The Maltese Falcon that so many have mentioned, but I'm a real sucker for Bogart's The Big Sleep, especially the scene where Elijah Cook takes the poison handed him by former-cowboy-star Bob Steele. Cook was the toughest guy in that film of tough guys. Also like Key Largo with Lionel Barrymore and Edward G. Robinson competing to see who chewed the most scenery. And the unappreciated Thomas Gomez being his usual smooth and oily self. Also Bogie playing Dillinger as the hard killer in The Petrified Forest. Yeah, they called the character Duke Mantee, but Bogie was doing Dillinger right down to his mannerisms. You also see him doing Dillinger in High Serria. Cagney is another of my favorites, especially in Public Enemy, White Heat, and Angels with Dirty Faces. But what really gets me is his death scene in The Roaring Twenties. Wow, what a scene, and what a final line to a movie.
Paul Muni was great in the original Scarface. The remake couldn't touch the old master. I also liked that in the original film, you never really see the killings--they happen offscreen with shadows on the wall or are dimly seen in double exposed film. Another great killer role was Mickey Rooney as a convicted killer who takes over death row in The Last Mile, although that was only in the TV program, I think.

The absolute best murder film of all time, however, is Double Indemnity, with Fred McMurray playing against type, Barbara Standwick burning down the scenery, and Robinson doing another masterful turn, stealing scenes with matches and his cigar.

gonna see it tonight

Semper Fooey
I love The Maltese Falcon that so many have mentioned, but I'm a real sucker for Bogart's The Big Sleep, especially the scene where Elijah Cook takes the poison handed him by former-cowboy-star Bob Steele. Cook was the toughest guy in that film of tough guys. Also like Key Largo with Lionel Barrymore and Edward G. Robinson competing to see who chewed the most scenery. And the unappreciated Thomas Gomez being his usual smooth and oily self. Also Bogie playing Dillinger as the hard killer in The Petrified Forest. Yeah, they called the character Duke Mantee, but Bogie was doing Dillinger right down to his mannerisms. You also see him doing Dillinger in High Serria. Cagney is another of my favorites, especially in Public Enemy, White Heat, and Angels with Dirty Faces. But what really gets me is his death scene in The Roaring Twenties. Wow, what a scene, and what a final line to a movie.
Paul Muni was great in the original Scarface. The remake couldn't touch the old master. I also liked that in the original film, you never really see the killings--they happen offscreen with shadows on the wall or are dimly seen in double exposed film. Another great killer role was Mickey Rooney as a convicted killer who takes over death row in The Last Mile, although that was only in the TV program, I think.

The absolute best murder film of all time, however, is Double Indemnity, with Fred McMurray playing against type, Barbara Standwick burning down the scenery, and Robinson doing another masterful turn, stealing scenes with matches and his cigar.
The Rooney Last Mile was a theatrical movie. It is practically a lost movie. It is not available at all, but they used to show it a lot on TV in the sixties and seventies. Love the ending: "You guys can do what you want. I'm going out for a walk."

A lot of the movies mentioned in this thread are not by strict definition murder mysteries.