2014 Oscar predictions

Tools    

Nominations are going to be annouced January 16th at 8:30 am so with that being said here are my Oscar predictions. I'll type the ones I'd like to see and think deserve to be nominated. To the right, in parenthesis, I'll put who I actually think will be nominated, different from who I'd like to be. And I'll put my prediction for winner in bold. Feel free to provide your own predictions. Here we go...

Best Director
-Steve McQueen
-Martin Scorese
-Ryan Coogler (Paul Greengrass)
-Alfonso Cuaron
-Coen Brothers (David O' Russell)

I think this race is probably between Cuaron and McQueen, Cuaron to me wins with his innovation of Gravity. Love to see Coogler get some love so young and talented but I think that he ultimately won't. I haven't seen Coen Bro's new film but I trust I will like it dying to see it.

Best Supporting Actress
-Jennifer Lawrence
-Lupita Nyong'o
-Margot Robbie (Oprah Winfrey)
-Ocativa Spencer
-Sally Hawkins (Julia Roberts)

I want to see my girl JLaw win again but I think it's Lupita's to win. It's between those two. Haven't seen Winfrey's and Robert's movie but the academy loves them.

Best Supporting Actor
-Jonah Hill
-Michael Fassbender
-Barkhad Abi
-Jared Leto
-Tom Hanks

This is pretty loaded category. I enjoyed all the performances in this group, but Jared Leto is the one out of this group that just sucked me in. It was phenomenal. But I could make a case for each one of these guys.

Best Actress
-Sandra Bullock
-Cate Blanchett
-Emma Thompson
-Amy Adams (Judi Dench)
-Brie Larson (Meryl Streep)

This is a race between the first 3 to me. I think however Cate's was the best with Sandra in 2nd. Just could not take my eye's off Cate. I haven't seen Larson's performance I would just like to see her recognized thou. Ultimately I think Dench and Streep get nominated because the academy has a hard on for them.

Best Actor
-Mathew McConaughey
-Chiwetel Ejiofor
-Tom Hanks
-Leonardo DiCaprio (Robert Redford)
-Oscar Isaac (Bruce Dern)

I'd love to see McConaughey win. He was my favorite performance all year in DBC. However, I think it will be Ejiofor's statue, and I have no qualms with that choice. Love to see DiCaprio finally get a much deserved Oscar but there were better performances. Haven't seen Isaac's perfermance but I have that much confidence in the Coens. Bale could sneak in as well for Hustle.

Best Picture
-Gravity
-12 Years A Slave
-American Hustle
-Wolf Of Wall Street
-Dallas Buyers Club
-Saving Mr. Banks
-Fruitvale Station (Nebraska)
-Captain Phillips
-Inside Llwyen Davis (Her)
-Blue Jasmine

Think the big award is between Gravity and 12 Years A Slave. I think Slave will win out because it seems more the Academy's taste to me. Could go either way thou. I haven't seen Nebraska or Her but hopefully I do before the Oscars. I just feel like they have Academy's favor. Also Haven't seen Inside Llwyen Davis but again I have confidence I will really enjoy it.

Anyways that is my best guesses and what I would like to see happen. Just fun to speculate about. Debate! Tell me where I'm out of my mind and who needs to be where. Tell me what you think!

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Chiwetel Ejiofor and 12 Years A Slave I'm sure will win. As for the rest I'm not sure, some were unconvincing and some I haven't seen yet.

I think you're right about the Best Picture/Director split this year.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Best Picture: American Hustle
Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron
Best Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
Supporting Actor: Jared Leto
Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
Original Screenplay: American Hustle
Adapted Screenplay: The Wolf of Wall Street
Foreign Film: The Hunt
Documentary Feature: The Act of Killing
Animated Feature: Frozen (not sure, that or The Wind Rises)
Cinematography: Gravity unfortunately, should be Inside Llewyn Davies
Editing: Gravity

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
American Hustle was a good movie. But I do not think it deserves even a best film nod.
I'm pretty sure it deserves it. Haven't seen the film yet, but tomorrow I'll know

I hope that Wolf of Wall Street wins for best adapted screenplay

This is lacking a few categories. Where's best animated film and best score. If it's alright, I'd like to make a few nominations and explain why. I don't want to be intrusive though so I'd like to have permission first if that's alright.

This is lacking a few categories. Where's best animated film and best score. If it's alright, I'd like to make a few nominations and explain why. I don't want to be intrusive though so I'd like to have permission first if that's alright.
Go ahead. This is a free discussion topic, not a tournament.

Call me strange but I've yet no desire to see 12 years a slave. I'm sure I will though.
Me neither, though I'm pretty sure I won't.

Anyway, my predictions so far (I'm also including films that I haven't seen yet, but after seeing them I may change my mind):

Best Picture: 12 Year a Slave
Best Actor: McConaughey/DiCaprio
Supporting Actor: Jared Leto/Fassbender (Hill unfortunately doesn't get enough award buzz)
Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence
Original Screenplay: Blue Jasmine
Foreign Film: The Great Beauty
Animated Feature: Frozen/The Wind Rises
Cinematography: Gravity

My predictions may change a lot after I've seen more 2013 films.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Blue Is the Warmest Color is ineligible for Best Foreign Film this year. It can be nominated in other categories this year and may get submitted by France next year.

Blue Is the Warmest Color is ineligible for Best Foreign Film this year. It can be nominated in other categories this year and may get submitted by France next year.
Ah, that's right. I forgot. I changed that one.

Anyway, my predictions so far (I'm also including films that I haven't seen yet, but after seeing them I may change my mind):

Best Picture: 12 Year a Slave
Best Actor: McConaughey/DiCaprio
Supporting Actor: Jared Leto/Fassbender (Hill unfortunately doesn't get enough award buzz)
Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence
Original Screenplay: Blue Jasmine
Foreign Film: The Great Beauty
Animated Feature: Frozen/The Wind Rises
Cinematography: Gravity

My predictions may change a lot after I've seen more 2013 films.
I found Hill pretty bad in Wolf of Wall Street he was the only character that I found overplayed (maybe the fact that I saw the movie dubbed in French had something to do with it), but still I didn't thought he was believable

(maybe the fact that I saw the movie dubbed in French had something to do with it)
Oh God. That definitely had something to do with it. It's such a pity for you French/Canadian folks that they always dub English films in your language. You totally miss out on the authenticity of the film.

If I lived in a french speaking country, I would probably be the highest demonstrator against the 'Académie française'.

Personally I though Jonah Hill was awesome in The Wolf of Wall Street. He was definitely going all the way, but that fitted the tone of the movie perfectly. I'm generally a fan of very over the top characters, though, so that might be another reason why I liked his character and performance so much.

Few more categories I left out:

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Wolf of Wall Street
12 Years A Slave
Captain Phillips
Before Midnight
August: Osage County

12 Years A Slave could very well win but I think they will honor Wolf Of Wall Street somewhere and this would probably be it.

Best Original Screenplay
Inside Llwyen Davis
Her
Nebraska
American Hustle
Blue Jasmine

Screenplay awards are always the most unpredictable to me. I have a feeling Blue Jasmine will take it for Woody Allen. I could see Her winning as well.

Best Animated Film
Despicable Me 2
The Wind Rises
Monsters University
Frozen
The Croods

I don't see an animated film being better then Frozen this year. But then again I didn't see anything beating Wreck-It-Ralph last year and lame Brave won.