DVD Commentaries By Us?

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
I got an idea the other day and wanted to know what you guys thought of it--especially Yoda.

What if we watched some of our favorite films, recorded our own personal shot-by-shot commentaries, and posted them on this site in the MP3 format?

I don't think any copyright laws would be broken. Wouldn't spoken freelance commentaries be protected in the same way written ones are? The DVD would have to be purchased by both the commentator and those who want to listen to the commentary, and it's for our own use; we're not going to sell them.

I personally would love to hear commentaries by some of the members here.

What do you guys think?

Yoda....?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

A novel adaptation.
Interesting idea, but I'm not sure we'd have anything even remotely as informative to say as is on most commentaries, and there's also the issue of bandwith...
But I really would like to hear some MoFo commentary on a couple of flickershows.

Someone make this happen.

I'm doing a writer commentary and a director/writer commentary on the Oblivion and Cow Hunters of the South Seas DVDs respectively, just by the way. I'm excited.

I'd love to do a commentary for another film. It just seems such a weird and wonderful idea, doesn't it? Putting in a DVD, syncing it up with a CD player with someone discussing Fight Club or Moulin Rouge or something. Cool.

But it is also the most geeky thing I've ever heard. I mean, we'd all have to basically admit to being absoloute, utter geeks, right?

i AM a geek and quite proud of it too

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
I mean, we'd all have to basically admit to being absoloute, utter geeks, right?
No... nothing geeky in my soul.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I don't think anyone is really itching to hear me laughing stupidly and reciting dialogue along with the characters in Ed Wood and ocassionally saying, "No, wait, this is the best part!" every five minutes.... (and anyone who won't admit that they're a geek is either boring or a liar.)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Hey you guys, I, for one would enjoy listening to your commentaries. I think it would be fun for everyone.

It's not like it would be impossible to do.
Heck, I can click the icon underneath some of your avatars and listen to your voices already.

I don't think anyone is really itching to hear me laughing stupidly and reciting dialogue along with the characters in Ed Wood and ocassionally saying, "No, wait, this is the best part!" every five minutes....
I'm itching to hear it Monkeypunch. I think it would be a blast. I could really use a good laugh; you know the kind where you laugh so hard your stomach muscles hurt?

Maybe Holden will like this idea....Maybe Yoda won't.

If someone figures out a way to do it, let me know and I'll try--

I'm utterly geeky

Its a fantastical idea in theroy but your forgetting the size limit of files that can be uploaded, there is no way if your commentating a movie, that it will be under the size limit in mp3 format.

Good point Nias',

But if commenting on the whole movie will be too big, why not a scene or two from a few of our favorites. What size does a file have to be to comfortably upload as an Mp3?

I cannot believe file size is being considered an issue. No one said that the files have to be uploaded via MoFo to MoFo. There are plenty of servers etc. that allow you to have larger file sizes if you upload with an FTP agent.

A novel adaptation.
Let's do it.
We should decide on a movie here, and then devise some method for transferring audio to ewach other in realtime. I'm sure that after we get the file together, that we'll figure out how to make it avaliable for download. After all, we're a crafty sort.

Sigh.

Here is my suggesion. People pick their own movies. They record a commentary however they please. They get a Prohosting account or something of that description and upload the file. They inform us of the URL. Others download. Burn to CD. Sync with television. Enjoywa.

A novel adaptation.
Groan.

I'm not sure I could handle an entire commentary on my own, espescially with a film that I didn't direct or wasn't involved with.
Maybe you could, but I somewhat doubt it would always be interesting.

You bastards think you have something to say that I wanna hear?

Shhhhhh....

Silence is golden.

(I feel JUST like SB right now... it's kind of liberating).

Sorry, I didn't really read this until now.

It's a decent idea, but the bandwidth/web space involved in storing so many MP3s could be difficult. If someone wants to give it a real go, though, I'd be open to the idea. It's certainly intriguing.