The 8th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Not at all, remember a while back when I said I hope you join the HoF because this time I'm nominating something you'll like? I mean, I was hoping you'd be in the HoF because you're great in it to, but I've made you sit through stuff that wasn't your type before.

I thought you said you were choosing between two movies, one that I probably would like, and one that I probably wouldn't like. Coming Home is one of those movies that I've wanted to see for a long time, but even I wasn't sure if I would like it, so I've kind of been avoiding it. I'm glad that you nominated it because it gave me the push that I needed to finally watch it, and it turned out to be a movie that I liked.

But there are a couple of movies in this HoF that I've seen that I hated, and one that I haven't seen but I'm pretty sure that I won't like, so maybe not joining was the right decision for me.

Well, my guess is that you're probably going to end up seeing all the nominations, so I say why not be an official member. You're one more person that can be counted on.

Not at all, remember a while back when I said I hope you [gbgoodies] join the HoF because this time I'm nominating something you'll like? I mean, I was hoping you'd be in the HoF because you're great in it too, but I've made you sit through stuff that wasn't your type before.
I was thinking that too today. I was looking at the first pages of the 7th Hof and reading some of the comments and I seen just how much GBG added with her enthusiasm and I wished she would have joined the 8th.

Well, my guess is that you're probably going to end up seeing all the nominations, so I say why not be an official member. You're one more person that can be counted on.

There's at least one movie that I'm definitely not going to rewatch because I saw it a few months ago, and I hated it. I have no plans to sit through it again. The other movie that I hated I haven't seen recently, so I'll probably rewatch it and give it another chance.

I just didn't want to go through the same fiasco that happened with the Comedy HoF. It seems to be a problem in a few of the HoFs recently, so maybe I'm not the only person who had issues with nominations. I might be the only person who was willing to speak up, until now. If getting people to stand up and say how they feel about nominations that should be ineligible is what came out of that whole incident, then maybe it was worth it in the long run.

I was thinking that too today. I was looking at the first pages of the 7th Hof and reading some of the comments and I seen just how much GBG added with her enthusiasm and I wished she would have joined the 8th.

I'm still going to try to watch the movies that sound interesting, and maybe even some of the movies that don't sound interesting, but I just wasn't able to nominate a movie, or send a ranked list. I can live with that.

I'm not sure if it's ever won a HoF, so I'm not sure if it would be eligible, but if it's eligible, my nomination would have been 12 Angry Men (1957). I think everyone should watch that movie before turning in a Top 1950's Movies list.

No pressure GBG I was just feeling a bit melancholy and nostalgic as the board was slow....then I read and noticed just how much you had contributed to past Hofs. But on to other things....

If you would have nominated 12 Angry Men you might have won. I haven't seen all the films but I'm sure 12 Angry Men would have been right at the top of my list.

This HoF has some real heavy hitters, but I think 12 Angry Men would've been a serious contender. Off the top of my head, I'm guessing top 5 on the 50's countdown.

No pressure GBG I was just feeling a bit melancholy and nostalgic as the board was slow....then I read and noticed just how much you had contributed to past Hofs. But on to other things....

If you would have nominated 12 Angry Men you might have won. I haven't seen all the films but I'm sure 12 Angry Men would have been right at the top of my list.

If 12 Angry Men comes in near the top of the 1950's list, I'll be happy.

BTW, based on the reviews that I've been reading in the Comedy HoF, I think I had a good chance to win that HoF with My Cousin Vinny if I hadn't dropped out.

This HoF has some real heavy hitters, but I think 12 Angry Men would've been a serious contender. Off the top of my head, I'm guessing top 5 on the 50's countdown.

I haven't even started compiling my 1950's list, but there's a good chance for it to be #1 on my list. It's been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember, and it just gets better with every rewatch.

BTW, based on the reviews that I've been reading in the Comedy HoF, I think I had a good chance to win that HoF with My Cousin Vinny if I hadn't dropped out.
I don't think so, but it was a great nomination.

My Cousin Vinny in the comedy hof. I've never seen it but I bet I would have liked it... but I doubt it would have been my number 1

BTW did my last review for Anatomy of the Murder suck or something? I mean no one commented on it.

I hope I was clear that I really like the film. I like to play arm-chair director and think out loud how I might have done somethings different. But when I do that it's not a vent against the film. I mean everyone knows I liked it right? I suppose I should give it a popcorn rating but I don't like doing that in the Hofs.

The Anatomy of a Murder review was great. Personally, I was just to busy earlier to comment on it. I fall a little behind on the threads during my work week.

I don't think so, but it was a great nomination.

It seems like there aren't a lot of good reviews in the Comedy HoF. Many of the reviews talk about how the movies are okay, but they aren't funny. I think most people at least agree that My Cousin Vinny is funny. It might not have won, but it probably would have at least done better than most of my other nominations.

It doesn't really matter anyway. I've never been much of a competitive person, so I don't play to win.

My Cousin Vinny in the comedy hof. I've never seen it but I bet I would have liked it... but I doubt it would have been my number 1

BTW did my last review for Anatomy of the Murder suck or something? I mean no one commented on it.

I hope I was clear that I really like the film. I like to play arm-chair director and think out loud how I might have done somethings different. But when I do that it's not a vent against the film. I mean everyone knows I liked it right? I suppose I should give it a popcorn rating but I don't like doing that in the Hofs.

I thought your review of Anatomy of the Murder was very good, but I haven't rewatched the movie yet, so I didn't want to comment on it yet.

I think that may be the problem. I don't think most people have watched it yet, so they don't really have much to say until they see the movie.

It seems like there aren't a lot of good reviews in the Comedy HoF. Many of the reviews talk about how the movies are okay, but they aren't funny. I think most people at least agree that My Cousin Vinny is funny. It might not have won, but it probably would have at least done better than most of my other nominations.

It doesn't really matter anyway. I've never been much of a competitive person, so I don't play to win.
I think the top two are set in stone. My Cousin Vinny would've been no higher than 5th on my list, and would've ended up between 5th and 7th for me. That's with me really liking it.

I think the top two are set in stone. My Cousin Vinny would've been no higher than 5th on my list, and would've ended up between 5th and 7th for me. That's with me really liking it.

I'm surprised that My Cousin Vinny would rank that low. I don't know anyone who doesn't laugh throughout that movie. Around here, we even quote the movie a lot. I'm generally not a big fan of either Joe Pesci or Marisa Tomei, but I thought they were both perfect in that movie. And Fred Gwynne is terrific as the judge.

I'm surprised that My Cousin Vinny would rank that low. I don't know anyone who doesn't laugh throughout that movie. Around here, we even quote the movie a lot. I'm generally not a big fan of either Joe Pesci or Marisa Tomei, but I thought they were both perfect in that movie. And Fred Gwynne is terrific as the judge.
I think it'd be a contender for third, just not on my list. I love Pesci and Tomei, but I didn't love the movie. It's very popular though.

Maybe there will be a Comedy Hof part deux. Comedies are under watched at MoFo and I can think of a bunch more worthy comedies.

I don't know. After seeing most of the comedies that were nominated in that HoF, I'm a bit skeptical of another one happening anytime soon. It seems like everyone here has a different idea of what's funny.

Plus with no deadline, that one may never end.