Ghost Movies

Tools    

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
My favorites would have to be:

The Shining
The Sixth Sense
Stir of Echoes
Poltergeist

oh really.,? I thought those person who have that kind of thinking where some kind of a duh people.,weird? in a sense that you were different from others in which if they are happy you were lonely and if they are lonely you were happy., oh I was amazed on you.,
Oh well...thank you...

welcome and well appreciated for a person like you.,

i like casper. . .

The Devil's Backbone is one of my all time favorite...

the sixth sense and
I love this movie some kind of a funny, action-adventure...I like the twist of whose the enemy is...

The Dead Alive...
I like ghost movies....
but choices are ours
we can't and have no right to regret...

Casper, The Frighteners, and of course, Ghost. Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze's scene at the pottery is very sensual.

10. The Orphanage
An orphanage-turned-family-household begins to show signs of a haunting after an adopted orphan dissappears, leaving his adopted mother on a quest that will result in either solving the mystery of her son's disappearance, or lead her down a cryptic road to madness.
A film that's so Guillermo-Del-Toroesque, that it comes off almost exactly like a Guillermo Del Toro film. And surprise, surprise, even though it was neither written or directed by Señor Del Toro, he did pick it up as producer (the script was from the hand of Sergio G. Sánchez & the film was directed by Juan Antonio Bayona). However, let it be known that making such a comparison is not any kind of accusation of imitation, but more of a compliment to all those involved in making this creepy entertaining ghost tale which gears itself towards those viewers who are armed with an attention span.

9. A Christmas Carol
While most families grew up watching It's A Wonderful Life as a yearly favorite every holiday season,
for me, I was raised in a household that instead always watched the original full-length feature film adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic tale of Ebenzer Scrooge. An old rich, greedy curmudgeon of a man who learns the value of giving after being visited upon in his "dreams" by three (past, present & future) incarnations of the spirit of Christmas.
Obviously, this is a story that has since had numerous varied versions produced under various titles, but IMO, as one of the first cinematic adaptations, this one's black & white setting has a way of enhancing the story in a manner that comes off much more timeless than in all the other counterparts which followed later.
This quality, combined with the fact that this is a personal childhood favorite of mine, makes the 1938 A Christmas Carol the one that, for me, will most likely always be the best of the bunch.

8. The Devil's Backbone
"What is a ghost?
A tragedy condemned to repeat itself time and again?
A moment of pain, perhaps?
Something dead which still seems to be alive?
An emotion suspended in time.
Like a blurred photograph.
Like an insect trapped in amber.
A ghost.

That's what I am."

Ooooo, creepy.
Guillermo Del Toro's tale of how an orphanage-turned-temporary safe-haven begins to show signs of a haunting after one of the orphan boys disappears (can you see why I stressed the comparison to Del Toro on my Orhanage entry?).
A story that may seem somewhat simplistic at first,
but when combined with the background dramas of both the lead characters, along with those hinted at of the supporting characters, along with the blatant "not-so-blatant" metaphors that is the director's strong-suit (that is, it's his strong-suit only if he isn't directing a Hellboy movie),
The Devil's Backbone turns out to be a satisfyingly rich movie that goes more for creepy metaphysical melodrama than it does for in-your-face scare tactics.

7. Monster House
Even though the animation in Monster House doesn't have the chance to get as creative as comp.-animated movies that focus on non-human subjects, they do very well with what they have. The facial expressions are choice quality & the movements during the action sequences are both smooth & dynamic. For what it is, the story is well done, the characters are engaging & the action scenes are very high in the area of thrill.
Even tho the animation in this film doesn't have the chance to get as creative as other comp.-animated movies of this generation & that focus on non-human subjects, this movie does very well with what it has. The facial expressions are choice quality & the movements during the action sequences are both smooth & dynamic. While there have been many animated films that have come along that look "better", this one for me, is one of the rare ones that have the whole package. The story is does not insult the intelligence despite being based on a child-based fantasy genre,
the characters are distinguishly engaging,
& the action scenes are very high in the area of thrill.
Monster House flows with the same roller-coaster ride that was felt with some of those high quality Spielberg-ish action flicks of the 80's.

6. Ghost
I ain't 'fraid no ghost.
Especially if it takes on the form of a dirty dancing roadhouser like Patrick Swayze.
Ghost is a romance film whose supernatural twist plotline pulls at not only the right heart-strings, but also at the same time, at the just the correct amount of logistical levers of suspended-believibility that are required when entering into the world of cinematic escapism.
Swayze plays the perfect polarly opposite straightman to Whoopi Goldberg, who fills up the screen with her comedic charisma, while Demi Moore exudes the same effect, but with her angelic beauty. All this combined with a story that provides just enough Hollywood-scripted plausibilty to a plot-idea that hovers in implausibilty.
All this was just the right mix of ingredients to allow my otherwise jaded hairy pimp-@ss to sit still through the entire run of this blatant but high quality chick-flick, which for me, is usually a rarity.

5. Sleepy Hollow
Tim Burton's has a great style to his movies, but for my money, not usually enough substance. His stories seem to fall shy of completed point (back off, Big Fish & Edward Scissorhand fans! :P).
For me, Sleepy Hollow is the exception. The idea of this movie wasn't one that had any real appeal for me at first , but after viewing it, it turned out to have more in terms of it's story developement & in it's character than I would've expected. I think Mr. Burton, though will always still be considered avante garde (in mainstream terms, that is), would be held in even much higher regard, IMO, if he could flesh out his stories as well as he did for this one.

4. The Shining
First of all, I'm always partial to Stanley Kubrick. IMO, he tends to make movies that are an inch away from being abstract beyond understanding, but keeps the flow of the film reeled in just enough to make seem like it makes sense on some kind of creative level. Add in the grounding of a Stephen King story & a role taylor made for Jack Nicholson, & what you have is one of my top favorite horror movies of all time. And with very little slashing, gore, or shock that most films of this genre (especially today) tend to rely on in order to frighten their audiences. The horror stems more from Jack's delivery & facial expressions as his character, writer Jack Torrance, gradually slips into the madness of a haunted hotel's dark intentions.
The phrase "Here's Johnny!" wouldn't be a very scary line at all if it weren't for Jack's maniacal mug peering thru the door's craggled "peephole", freshly smashed thru by the axe-wielding author who suffers from writer's block & a possesed spirit, not to mention from a severe case of "redrum" on his mind.

3. Ghost Busters
The dead are starting to rise on the streets of New York. Well, moreso that usual that is. And at the center of it all, is the head ghost demon known as Gozer The Destructor. Who, even in marshmellow form, is still a destructor. So when ol' Goze decides to start giganticly rampaging down through the avenues of the Big Apple, who you gonna call....? The only guys around who know how to show this prehistoric b#tch how we do things downtown.
Ghostbusters is a fun, 80's defining scifi comedy that not only features Bill Murray at his sharpest & Sigourney Weaver at her sexiest (even though at one point, she does turn into a dog....), but also cool specials effects, a couple of proton packs, sliming goblins, a key master, a gatekeeper, streams crossing, cats & dogs living together and a really big "Twinkie".
Simply some of my favorite summer blockbuster movie memories of when I was a kid.

2. Sixth Sense
Okay, saying that this is M. Knight Shyamalan's best film (by far) may sound overly obvious (by far),
but,
it is (by far).
A very good from-the-beyond-yarn that starts out by depicting the debilitating effects of being able to percieve ghosts. Then, almost completely, turns it around to show how this paranormal ability can be more of a help than a hindrance, if we just gave the spooky spectres a chance. Maybe seeing dead people ain't so bad.
Though when I really think about it, if I wanted any kind of communication with lost wandering spirits, I'd rather just stick to commiserating online with all of my fellow epinionators on this site.

1. The Blair Witch Project
First of all, I couldn't care less how over-hyped this movie was. Anyone's whose opinion of this movie was as an adverse effect from this, it's their fault for giving it any attention in the first place. No hype, no matter how well-founded, should ever be believed.
Secondly, as kid, sure, but as an adult, I really can't get scared from movies anymore. Especially, if there's a monster or a Jason/Freddy/Michael Myers involved. The minute I see any of these guys on the screen wearing some kind of fright-enhancing mask or wielding a sharp object with a screaming Abercrombie & Fitch-looking teenager's name all over it, I am instantly reminded that I'm watching a movie, & thereby negating any chance of suspending my belief enough to being frightened anymore. However, Blair Witch tried to bring the horror of cinema as close to the real world as any fright flick could since Night Of The Living Dead (IMO, that is), thus making it seem like this situation could actually happen in this frame of reality. Plus, a major part of the fear-factor for this story's premise is that the lead characters, or even the viewers themselves, never actually get to see the witch in question. And as it has been stated many times over centuries, "The unknown is one the greatest fears to the human mindset".
So while it still didn't really have a chance of inducing my mind with sleep-interrupting nightmares (& to be fair, at my age, no movie really does), TBWP probably came as close as it possibly can come to at this point in my life. As far as I can remember, I've never had any real inclination to go out on a camping trip of any sort.
But now, because of this film, sleeping under a tent overnight in the middle of the woods, is a situation that I can definitely say that I will never expect to try & initiate.
Ever.
And for me, The Blair Witch Project earns a couple of extra points just for that.

Movie Forums Extra
My favorite are:-
The secret (RAAZ) hindi movie
Bhoot (Ghost) aso hindi
Evil dead EnglishThe shining
The sixth sense

Ghost Movies are good for the people who like suspense thriller and can view movie with patience ghost movies have good effect's like sound, music, light Etc. on personal View i like Ghost Movie

I love ghost horrors, heres a few of my favs: American haunting, The Ring, Sixth Sense, The Grudge... theres just too many to name lol

What I still want to buy . . .

Don't Look Now (1973), Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), The Innocents (1961), The Uninvited (1944), What Lies Beneath (2000), and Ghost Story (1981).
I bought Don't Look Now this month. Picnic at Hanging Rock is the one I was trying to remember a few days ago. I meant to check that out, and forgot once again. The Uninvited is a film that I have wanted for a few years now, but you can only get a used VHS copy for 19.94. There is also a brand new VHS copy for the low low price of 98.92. Would anyone seriously do that, I ask myself!?! I've seen Ghost Story, but that was so long ago, I can't even remember if I liked it any. If I do work anymore into this month, it will be a toss-up between Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), and The Innocents (1961). We shall see.

I have the bulk of these listed from the 80's, up until now, but I prefer classic horror.

I bought Don't Look Now this month. Picnic at Hanging Rock is the one I was trying to remember a few days ago. I meant to check that out, and forgot once again. The Uninvited is a film that I have wanted for a few years now, but you can only get a used VHS copy for 19.94. There is also a brand new VHS copy for the low low price of 98.92. Would anyone seriously do that, I ask myself!?! I've seen Ghost Story, but that was so long ago, I can't even remember if I liked it any. If I do work anymore into this month, it will be a toss-up between Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), and The Innocents (1961). We shall see.

I have the bulk of these listed from the 80's, up until now, but I prefer classic horror.
I miss the benevolent ghost movies they used to make like the Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Portrait of Jenny, Topper, Carousel, A Guy Called Joe, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Angel on my Shoulder, It's a Wonderful Life, Cabin in the Sky, Hamlet, and--what was that British film where Rex Harrison remarries, only to be haunted by his first wife? Yet I didn't care for Always, the remake of A Guy Called Joe, or Heaven Can Wait, the remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan, and I thought Ghost was just awful. However, the film with Sally Fields haunted by James Caan as her former spouse, a song and dance man, had some good moments.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
I'm so glad people are talking about The Devil's Backbone because that's one of my favorites! This movie is great because i jumped at some of the ghost parts and i cried like 3 times in this movie but it was 4 o clock in the morning and i was alone in my basement but still Del Toro is great at combining spooky, history, tragedy and symbolism in his movies. This is a great movie everybody should watch it!

The Orphanage is a film that was produced by Guillermo Del Toro and it still has some of his flair in it. Again it's sad and terrifying and is an altogether great movie.

However, the film with Sally Fields haunted by James Caan as her former spouse, a song and dance man, had some good moments.
Kiss Me Goodbye (1982)

I have that movie. I think it's cute.

I was so focused on horror movies, that I left off many others that I have. Those that fall into the comedy, and drama genre, mostly. I'll need to update my list soon.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Has anyone ever seen an old movie called Dead of Night? I watched this on VHS back in high school about 11 years ago and remember it being very creepy, though difficult to follow at times - back then anyway. It's a haze in my memory now, but I recall this very creep mirror in it. I don't think it's on DVD, nor has it been mentioned in this thread as far as I recall.

BUt yes The Innocents is by far the best ghost movie ever made - I think. Rebecca is the best ghost movie without a ghost in it, at least outside of the character's mind's, emotion's and hearts.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Dead of Night is on the AntiChrist, Blockbuster Online. We've rented the DVD twice in the last two years. It comes with another movie, Queen of Spades.

Semper Fooey
Has anyone ever seen an old movie called Dead of Night? I watched this on VHS back in high school about 11 years ago and remember it being very creepy, though difficult to follow at times - back then anyway. It's a haze in my memory now, but I recall this very creep mirror in it. I don't think it's on DVD, nor has it been mentioned in this thread as far as I recall.

BUt yes The Innocents is by far the best ghost movie ever made - I think. Rebecca is the best ghost movie without a ghost in it, at least outside of the character's mind's, emotion's and hearts.
Dead of Night is on DVD, well known British horror movie, best known for the Michael Redgrave segment, which has become standard now, but was unique then, the ventriloquist struggling with an evil dummy.