Special Editions a Thing of the Past?

Tools    

Snakes, you mean you don't like the commentary tracks, retrospective documentaries, and deleted scenes included in some special editions?!?

This is yet another reason for me to prefer my beloved LaserDiscs to the market over-saturated with DVDs. I understand there are plenty of people who don't appreciate commentary tracks or even widescreen transfers, but why don't y'all stay in VHS then, huh? Leave these specialized formats for those of us who actually give a ***** about movies.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I admit I don't listen to the commentary tracks through the whole movie. If I'm wondering about a certain scene in a movie, I flip on that trusty ol' commentary track and listen in on how they did it.

I do find the behind-the-scenes docu's interesting at times, at others they can be a little on the boring side. Not saying that this is the case all of the time though.

Personally, I would break down and cry if I didn't have tons of features on a disc. True, I don't mess around with all of them. Hell, I have two-disc sets that I haven't even bothered with the 2nd disc yet. Don't ask me why, just don't feel like messing with it sometimes, but I enjoy having it there just in case I am wondering about something.

So you shouldn't dismiss features on a disc simply because they aren't really entertaining. They are useful to those who want to know things and to simply get rid of them is downright crazy.

Holden is right though, stick with VHS if you don't like the transfers and the commentaries and extra features. Leave them for those of us who do like and enjoy them.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Sorry guys, you must have misunderstood me. I am all for special editions and all they contain. What I am not up for, is the re-release "special editions" of dvd's that already have a special edition done up.

I can't stand how movie studio's are releasing a special edition one month, and then a couple months down the road release another "ultimate" edition...thus milking the market for all they are worth.

Just do it once, the right way.

RRRRRRrrrrrrrrr,
Steve

But Snakes, that's not what the article you linked to was about. It was saying that fewer S.E.s are going to be made, period. I guess yes, this will also cut down on multiple editions and later releases, but the main point is that the only version ever available will be less likely to have commentary tracks and other extras. Frankly, that sucks *****.

It won't matter to the Criterions and Anchor Bays, who make their money this way in the first place, but it may well mean less from the major Studio's DVD divisions. That would be a shame.

I'll kind of believe it when I see it, but if the upshot of this is that the Schwarzenegger level of money-grubbing star doesn't do any more, that'll be fine with me. Did you ever listen to his comments on the Conan the Barbarian disc? It's a lot of stuff like "Oh, yeah, this is the day I did a lot of running." Thank God director John Milius was there too, or that track would have been unbearable.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i saw this today - i think the issue is not just losing special editions but EXTRA goodies period:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/683680.asp?pne=msn

Cuz extra goodies can be found on both original releases and folllow-ups.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
An excerpt from that story:
NOW THAT THE DVD is firmly embedded in our culture, the bean counters and other forces are swooping down on this fabulous bonus we get for living in the digital age. They got us addicted. Now they’re threatening to cut off the supply — or at least reduce it.
A recent Reuters Variety report proclaimed, “Until recently, directors and others have mostly agreed to sit at no charge for DVD interviews or commentaries to help promote the movie or for purely nostalgic or personal interests.” But, the story continued, “Lately, producers and studios are reporting an increasing number of demands for payment by stars for audio commentaries and interviews. At least two commanded payments of $10,000 each for one recent DVD release.”
And those payments, some a result of renegotiated actor and writer contracts, are eating in to the budgets for producing DVDs — which puts many of those extras in peril.
They better not kill the extras, outta tell the celebs wanting money for that stuff to go stick it.