Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hm,not sure,I tend to believe that bigger budget does him more harm than good,although I liked Inglorious Basterds.

Well, I guess it's hard to like a movie if you don't like any of the characters lol.

I dunno, I thought Django Unchained was a lot of fun, mixed with some serious moments. I personally liked most of the characters in the way they were supposed to be portrayed.

To answer your question about Calvin, what makes him so great in my eyes is how blatantly ignorant and soulless he is. He honestly believes that crap about black people lacking something anatomically, and he doesn't even see black people as humans, rather pieces of property. Yes, he is stupid, but his ruthlessness and power make up for that. He represents racism at its core.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I remember whenever I first saw the trailers for The Conjuring and I didn't think it looked like anything special. Still, I told my friends that we should give it a chance and that it may be decent. I eventually got them to side with me, but it wasn't playing where I live, and so we had to deal without. Immediately after, I read about all of the rave reviews for how great the movie was and felt very sad about it. I wanted to see it, which is something very odd to think about considering the fact that supernatural movies have never been my cup of tea.

The Exorcist, The Haunting in Connecticut, The Last Exorcism, Poltergeist, Paranormal Activity, The Grudge, and all kinds of other flicks have tried and failed at capturing my attention. I mean, it's not to say that all of them were bad, but they didn't really catch my eye. I ended up seeing Insidious: Chapter 2 in theaters, and that did a number on my anticipation for The Conjuring to be released on DVD. I thought that the new Insidious movie was absolutely godawful, and considering how closely tied both the Conjuring and Insidious are to each other, I figured that it'd end up being more of the same.

When I finally I watched it, I immediately came to the realization that it wasn't the case in this scenario. The characters were well put together which was impressive considering the large number of cast members, and more importantly, it didn't come across as cheesy or stupid. There were actually two or three times where the "jump scares" actually caught me a little off-guard which is especially impressive when you think of the fact that I was with my friends whenever I watched it.

The cast actually did a good job as well, and for a moment, I actually felt emotionally invested in the female protagonist, opposite Vera Farmiga, and yeah, it was just a good flick. I would certainly say that it's the most flawlessly constructed paranormal movie that I have ever seen, which isn't saying much, but it was also a pretty good movie altogether. I'd say that it's probably an 8.2 out of 10.0.

The Fly (1986)

IT HAPPENED! Cronenberg stunned me! This must be one of the best horror films I've ever seen. It's sick, twisted, freaky, full of suspense and ultimately tragically beautiful.

The Fly (1986)

This must be one of the best horror films I've ever seen.
Same here. I'd probably put it second to The Shining if I had to make a list.

The Fly (1986)

IT HAPPENED! Cronenberg stunned me! This must be one of the best horror films I've ever seen. It's sick, twisted, freaky, full of suspense and ultimately tragically beautiful.

Awesome; I loved it when I saw it at the movies and I still love it. I hope it makes the 80's list, I voted for it.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Sin City

Sigh. Why/how did I put off watching it for this long? The movie is brilliant imo. It was an extremely entertaining watch. When I saw the star-studded cast and Tarantino as guest director, I knew this one would be special.

The use of the black and white style was done masterfully, and all 3 storylines were able to share the spotlight and keep me interested throughout. The violence was just the right amount for me, mixed in with some great dialogue.

All the actors were great imo. The coolest character was probably Marv, played by Mickey Rourke, but I gotta give it to Elijah Wood. His character didn't say anything, but he had such a creepy look about him at all times. Props to the team for implementing black and white on him.

Excellent, entertaining movie. If you haven't seen it, don't be like me, this movie can be enjoyed at any time.

9/10
I knew you'd enjoy it man. It's such an entertaining film, I watched it a few months back, and I must say. Not a dull moment. Quite possibly my favorite comic-book film.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I watched R.I.P.D, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't anything special, or anything particularly good, but I expected something absolutely godawful that would find its way amongst my least favorite movies of all-time. It may not have been good, but as far as that goes, it's not even close. The story itself was silly and outlandish, while the characters were allover the place and underdeveloped. However, there was still a certain amount of humor throughout the movie that, although kept me from taking it seriously, also kept me from taking it seriously. (Which is also a good thing.)

Finished here. It's been fun.

Interview with the Vampire-8.3/10.

This was a really good movie. It draws you in immediately and is interesting throughout. The set direction,costumes,and dark,moody visuals help make this one of the most atmospheric films I've ever seen. The acting is good,and the movie is an interesting,realistic take on Vampires.It was refreshing to see such a film.This is a really good movie and worth the time.

The Great Gatsby:very good 9/10

Dawn of the Dead (1978) -

Not scary at all tbh, but I love me some zombies.

Chronicle (2012) -

Quite decent, though the ending is somewhat weak compared to the rest of the film. Most of it is interesting, and some of the scenes were genuinely disturbing. But I felt that the execution could have been better overall.

Lord High Filmquisitor
This week's Netflix DVD was Hitchcock, which I was lucky to see in theaters last year. While I liked it the first time around, I have to say that it markedly improved on the rewatch. The droll, playful tone was actually a lot funnier the second time around. While Hopkins and Mirren were just as exceptionally brilliant as ever, the supporting cast (especially Scarlett Johansson and James D'Arcy) stood out as just as remarkable. Even the two Hitchcocks' problems, which at first struck me as more than a little petty, seemed more substantial. This is the kind of movie that I see enjoying even more as time goes on. 8/10

I was also happy to catch The Matrix on AMC last night, which I hadn't seen in years. It's really easy to forget what an exceptionally good movie it is, especially when its horrible sequels are fresher in your mind than it is (sadly, this had caused it to slip from my favor since I last watched it). The action was exciting, the plot was intelligent, Hugo Weaving was downright chilling as Agent Smith and even Keanu Reeves' vacant surfer gaze was fittingly in-character. I'll have to remember to not go so long between viewings of this movie again. 9/10

American Pie

Well, that movie had bad acting, a simple scenario, but it was funny as hell.

American Pie 2
Same bad actors, same simple scenario, same everything, but less funny jokes.

Cloud Atlas

I was curious about it, but I never got into actually watching it, until yesterday I saw it was on TV. So I recorded it, and just finished watching it now. I think I need to watch it again.

My overall impression is positive. Like with other Wachowski movies, I'm into the theme, even if they keep repeating it. Special effects are nice, if very, very clearly computer generated, and I'm never a fan of CGI. Some stories were way more interesting than others, and I found myself wanting to go back to them, while being stuck in less interesting ones. My favorite section was the Blade Runner looking one of course, which would seem like the central piece of the story. It's the one that plays most and more obviously with the Wachowski's usual themes, as well as having the usual Blade Runner futuristic look which is always awesome. And the island section was nearly as cool. Loved Hugo Weaving as Old Georgie, whatever the hell he was supposed to represent. My least favorites would be either the musician's one with the dude from Perfume, or the one with the old guy in the nursing home (although it kept me laughing along the way. Only sometimes, not at the best moments of the other stories, intersecting emotion heavy moments). Also might I say, I was totally stoked to actually like Tom Hanks in something, it's been a while.

There's some pretty bad tone issues, emotionally speaking. Movies often jump from ridiculously funny to heavy action/special effect sections to poignant, and often do it well. This movie, not so much. Sometimes the stories were in emotionally similar sections, and it worked, but sometimes it failed at that. And a few times they were purposely dispair tones, and then it totally didn't work. The whole thing using the same actors looked good on paper, but while some makeups where rather good (the most subtle ones, you don't need to change everything for a guy to look like another guy) there were lots of horribly obvious latex masks. It kept taking me out of the movie, as well as guessing who is who.

I think I need to give it another watch like, tomorrow. And I will. I'm already definitely saying I really liked it, it's an experience, and I appreciate that they gave their best shot. But considering the themes and style they played with, it could've been way more mindblowing. Still really liked it. I'm also curious about the book now.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) -

Not scary at all tbh, but I love me some zombies.
You're hurting my feelings here lol

I think of Dawn of the Dead as a satiric comedy actually. No horror there, but quite a few laughs.

Chronicle (2012) -

Quite decent, though the ending is somewhat weak compared to the rest of the film. Most of it is interesting, and some of the scenes were genuinely disturbing. But I felt that the execution could have been better overall.
I fully agree here. It was pretty damn cool until they ****ed it up with the ending. Still worth watching.