ScarletLion's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

movies can be okay...
I absolutely adored "The Dirties", I found myself thoroughly entertained by the two main characters and their shenanigans, their chemistry together was simply off the roof. I also loved how they kept acknowledging the crew and the technical aspects of their own film, while still being in the movie's universe, this level of insanity is rare to find, even though it can be a source of some great comedy.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I absolutely adored "The Dirties", I found myself thoroughly entertained by the two main characters and their shenanigans, their chemistry together was simply off the roof. I also loved how they kept acknowledging the crew and the technical aspects of their own film, while still being in the movie's universe, this level of insanity is rare to find, even though it can be a source of some great comedy.
It really is quite unique in that respect. Although it's a cheaply made movie, it is a very well constructed one and edited very well. The writer/director was in his mid 20s when it was made. That blows my mind.

movies can be okay...
I have yet to check out his tv-series "Nirvanna the Band the Show", but I thought his second feature film, "Operation Avalanche", was just as brilliant as his first. He is a unique film-maker indeed, and I wish he would get more recognition.

I have yet to check out his tv-series "Nirvanna the Band the Show", but I thought his second feature film, "Operation Avalanche", was just as brilliant as his first. He is a unique film-maker indeed, and I wish he would get more recognition.
I'll be watching both those very soon, he seems like a very promising talent.

'Bad Day for the Cut' (2017)

Quite violent, tense, Northern Irish crime thriller. @TheSamoanLawyer put me on to this. I believe he's from that neck of the woods. It's gritty, extremely well shot and has some good performances. It's not particularly groundbreaking but does have some poignant moments:

"No-one seems to know the full story. That's the problem with this country".

^ That one stood out for me given the history, and eludes to the fact that certain things will never, ever be forgotten leading to an endless circle of tragedy.

The problem I have with it, is that there are a few 'less than plausible' moments also.

WARNING: "Bad day for the cut" spoilers below

For example:

-The Polish 2 not getting the heck out of there
-The flash of light when Donal was inside the room at the end that triggerred Frankie to explore....what was that flasj? Did I miss something? He didn't kill Frankie's henchman so it can't have been his shotgun.
-Frankie not taking a pot shot at Donal right at the end through the car - when she had the chance. That proved fatal. And convenient.
-Donal going for a piss in the woods without his weapon that enabled the chase scene
-Eamon delivering important dialogue right before he croaks it

These are small, tiny details, and I am nitpicking. Because without them, there would be no movie. But they did stand out as a little distracting.

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10 - as as nice as it was to look at, it didn't quite pull me in enough to make my heart beat a little bit faster or make my emotions boil to the surface.

Unregistered User
'Bad Day for the Cut' (2017)

Quite violent, tense, Northern Irish crime thriller. @TheSamoanLawyer put me on to this. I believe he's from that neck of the woods. It's gritty, extremely well shot and has some good performances. It's not particularly groundbreaking but does have some poignant moments:

"No-one seems to know the full story. That's the problem with this country".

^ That one stood out for me given the history, and eludes to the fact that certain things will never, ever be forgotten leading to an endless circle of tragedy.

The problem I have with it, is that there are a few 'less than plausible' moments also.

WARNING: "Bad day for the cut" spoilers below

For example:

-The Polish 2 not getting the heck out of there
-The flash of light when Donal was inside the room at the end that triggerred Frankie to explore....what was that flasj? Did I miss something? He didn't kill Frankie's henchman so it can't have been his shotgun.
-Frankie not taking a pot shot at Donal right at the end through the car - when she had the chance. That proved fatal. And convenient.
-Donal going for a piss in the woods without his weapon that enabled the chase scene
-Eamon delivering important dialogue right before he croaks it

These are small, tiny details, and I am nitpicking. Because without them, there would be no movie. But they did stand out as a little distracting.

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10 - as as nice as it was to look at, it didn't quite pull me in enough to make my heart beat a little bit faster or make my emotions boil to the surface.

Glad you liked it. I watched it at the premiere months ago so I'll have to get a rewatch in asap. I really enjoyed it but I definitely was a tad bias.

'Columbus' (2017)

This is a beautiful film. Director Kogonada has made several tribute videos, essays and shorts but this is his debut feature. And he nails it, with help of the stunning, meticulously framed cinematography by Elisha Christian.

Columbus, Indiana is the backdrop to the story that positions a daughter giving up her career to care for her mother, and a son who was neglected in favour of a career by his father. Symbolism, symmetry and architecture provide the metaphors for the messages and themes, and I took them mostly to mean that some of us strive to align symmetry to our lives but the reality is that we can all achieve balance - even when things are off kilter.

As an Asian film-maker, Kogonada has clearly been influenced by Kim Ki-Duk and Takeshi Kitano ('Time' and' Kikujiro' are similar in tone) and also the one point perspective techniques of Kubrick. The result here, is a phenomenally beautiful movie that trickles along nicely as we meet a male - female dynamic that share their troubles and end up trying to figure out how to move on to the next chapter of their lives. Haley Lu Richardson and John Cho are a great combo, and the former especially gives a pretty amazing turn well beyond her years.

Think Asian cinema blended in with stunning photography, and perhaps a hint of Jim Jarmusch's 'Paterson' and it's about where this movie is. There's also a hint of the before / after trilogy in the dialogue.

Those who appreciate aesthetics will enjoy this movie. Those who prefer more of an adrenaline rush will want to avoid it.

REWATCH: 'Sicario' (2015)

Such a brutal, tense, brilliant movie. And yet it's not even close to being Villeneuve's best. There are a couple of flaws, most notably that big reveal towards the end where Alejandro is at the Mexico side of the border. I just feel they didn't nail it somehow. Emily Blunt's character just looked a little too confused.

That said it is still one of the better thrillers of the last few years, helped by Taylor Sheridan's dialogue and the edgyness of the film's tone.

I cannot wait to see what Villeneuve does with 'Dune'. He has a ridiculously good resume already and has now done thrillers, sci-fi, politically motivated movies, high school shootings, Mindf**k moives. I guess a war movie might be up after Dune.

My Denis Villeneuve movies ranked:

1. Incendies
2. Arrival
3. Enemy
4. Polytechnique
5. Prisoners
6. Sicario
7. Blade Runner 2049
8. Maelstrom

I am yet to see 'August 32nd on Earth'

movies can be okay...
Villeneuve is a fantastic film-maker, and I do agree with the fact that "Sicario" is one of his worst films, which is nothing but a great compliment. I too love "Incendies" and "Enemy" the most, out of his impressive filmography.

Villeneuve is a fantastic film-maker, and I do agree with the fact that "Sicario" is one of his worst films, which is nothing but a great compliment. I too love "Incendies" and "Enemy" the most, out of his impressive filmography.
I was impressed by Enemy and Prisoners when I first saw them but after watching Incendies I was completely blown away with his attention for detail and brutalness. He never shies away from being completely in your face, yet at the same time does violence and harshness with a certain degree of style and dignity. I haven't explained that very well but I hope you get what I mean. He doesn't go over the top in terms of graphic content but at the same time disturbs the viewer enough to make certain scenes unforgettable. 'Polytechnique' is perhaps the best example of this. It is done so well.

I get the same vibes from Jacques Audiard. Both great modern filmmakers and both at the top of my favourite Directors working today.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Arrival, Enemy and BR 2049 were great.
Sicario disappointed me. Wasn't instense, didn't keep in suspense, was even boring at some parts.

Arrival, Enemy and BR 2049 were great.
Sicario disappointed me. Wasn't instense, didn't keep in suspense, was even boring at some parts.
Fair enough, did you watch Prisoners? And if so how did it compare to Sicario?

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Fair enough, did you watch Prisoners? And if so how did it compare to Sicario?
No, I haven't seen Prisoners I'm curoius, If I would like it.

'The Dirties' (2013)

It really is pretty original despite the 'found footage' tag, and as well as being darkly comedic, has a completely sinister undertone. Some of the footage is clearly ad lib and features real subjects not actors, which makes the tone feel all the more 'hyper-real'.
Sure it was comedic, but I felt it more and more intense and disturbing as it went on, until you're left absolutely shaken by the final shot.

Sure it was comedic, but I felt it more and more intense and disturbing as it went on, until you're left absolutely shaken by the final shot.
A note on that ending:

WARNING: "The Dirties" spoilers below
Do you think the abrupt final shot was just there to tell us that's it -
that's how far Matt took it and he can never undo the things he's done. He's unrecogniseable from his former self - even by his best friend.

Or.....do you think the ending is more suggestive. By that I mean it abruptly ends because that is the end of Matt's story. He's perhaps taken out in a Soprano's type way. Gone.

?

A note on that ending:

WARNING: "The Dirties" spoilers below
Do you think the abrupt final shot was just there to tell us that's it -
that's how far Matt took it and he can never undo the things he's done. He's unrecogniseable from his former self - even by his best friend.
I'd say it's definitely that one.

WARNING: spoilers below
There's no way Matt would kill his friend