Your Favorite Dark Comedy Movie

Tools    

Semper Fooey
Death Takes a Holiday ism't a comedy. It used to show up on the tube a lot. Also not a comedy, but with a black comedy like ending, a real shocker, is the John Barrymore Svengali.

Well, you have the hots for Fredric March...
Maybe...

bad santa, shallow grave, reign over me {think thats what its called, adam sandler movie}, paper, raisning arizona, haunted honeymoon, sleuth

not sure if you can really class the last 2 as dark comedy anymore but they were when they came out

I include under 'dark comedy' basically anything that has a self-aware disregard for human decency and/or social norms in the service of humor or satire. It is in this mode that In the Company of Men begins and remains throughout its duration, and that may be the epitome of a black comedy, to me.

Being John Malkovich (Jonze)
Diabel (Zulawski)
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (Fassbinder)
In the Company of Men (LaBute)
Safe (Haynes)
La femme publique (Zulawski)
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover (Greenaway)
A Zed and Two Noughts (Greenaway)
Farewell to the Ark (Terayama)
Birds, Orphans, and Fools (Jakubisko)
The Cremator (Herz)
Rushmore (Anderson)
Lola (Fassbinder)
Barton Fink (Coens)
Dr. Strangelove (Kubrick)
Underground (Kusturica)
The Red and the White (Jancso)
The Round Up (Jancso)
4 (Khrjanovsky)
There Will Be Blood (Anderson)
Devils on the Doorstep (Jiang)
Little Vera (Pichul)
Igby Goes Down (Steers)

That list brings a twisted smile to my face. Whether they all fit perfectly into a little category... I'm not too interested. That you can take take a perverse degree of humor out of unpalatable situations in them is guaranteed!

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
FIGHT CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delicatessen and Fargo would get my vote.

American Psycho
Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
Snatch

I have many... but my personal favorite:

Monty Python's: Life of Brian

"Prophet #1: [screaming] ... and the bezan shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there will be a great rubbing of parts. Yeeah...

Prophet #2: [yelling] ... for the demon shall bear a nine-bladed sword. NINE-bladed! Not two or five or seven, but NINE, which he will wield on all wretched sinners, sinners just like you, sir, there, and the horns shall be on the head, with which he will...

Prophet #3: ...there shall, in that time, be *rumors* of things going astray, errrm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things wi - with the sort of raffia work base that has an attachment. At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock. Yea, it is written in the book of Cyril that..."

-----

As a devout Atheist, I rather enjoy this film on many levels. Not saying you can't have religion. Though I honestly can't take it too seriously. The Python group and I seem to be on the same page on the matter.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Being John Malkovich
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
Very Bad Things

American Beauty
Lord Of War
Pulp Fiction
Strange Love
Trainspotting
A serious man

First films that flew to mind.

Good lists guys.

My favorites Comedy movies are Hop & No Strings Attached. I really likes these movies.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I love a dark comedy. First ones that come to mind are Heathers, Pulp Fiction and Cable Guy. There are a lot more probably I'd come up with if I thought about it for a moment

Just out of interest is there a difference between a 'dark comedy' and a 'black comedy'? Just you see the same film sometimes described as both so I'm never sure