Thomas P's Top 50

→ in
Tools    

Hey, don't hold it against me I recall seeing that film on your top 10, and I didn't know that it was your favourite movie. Still, it's marvelous seeing an Asian film on someone's top 10. I'm a big fan of Asian cinema.
I'm just kidding.

I haven't seen that much Asian cinema (about 90% of the Asian cinema I've seen is from Ozu, Mizoguchi and Kurosawa), and I haven't seen a bad film by any of them.

Two directors I'm really interested in are Edward Yang and Hou Hsiao-Hsien. I've seen about 6 films between them, and I absolutely love each one.

I got Pierrot Le Fou on Blu-ray too (and Le Cercle Rouge and Ran), it's the only one of the four I've watched yet, but I know you're a big fan. I loved it, better than Breathless I thought.
Those are some freaking awesome movies right there! I saw Le Cercle Rouge just recently, instant favorite.

Tati’s studio-constructed vision of Paris begins in daytime with nightmarishly regimented straight lines and right angles and proceeds to night with accidental yet celebratory curves of people instinctively coming together.
Hyperboles aside (which are natural coming from a favorite movie), I will watch this one. It is one of the few in the Sign and Sound top 50 which I haven't watched by now.

I haven't seen that much Asian cinema (about 90% of the Asian cinema I've seen is from Ozu, Mizoguchi and Kurosawa), and I haven't seen a bad film by any of them.

Two directors I'm really interested in are Edward Yang and Hou Hsiao-Hsien. I've seen about 6 films between them, and I absolutely love each one.
Never seem Spirited Away?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Don't know about him, but maybe I'll watch it today!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Honourable Mentions:

Jack the Minotaur

The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

Jules and Jim (François Truffaut, 1962)

A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yang, 1991)

Paris qui dort/The Crazy Ray (René Clair, 1925)

Lola (Jacques Demy, 1961)

Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1971)

I Vitelloni (Federico Fellini, 1953)

Shoeshine and The Bicycle Thieves (Vitorrio De Sica, 1946 and 1948)

War and Peace (King Vidor, 1956)

Right, I have always got on with you before but I have a lot of questions now. Straight up, are these your top 50 films or are they Jonathan Rosenbaums'? Simply I want an answer as to why you feel the need to steal from other people's work in an attempt to come across as some type of critic?

That said, Breathless is a gritty and engaging first feature. It lays down most of the Godardian repertoire that the later films would build upon; less characteristic of Godard's later work are the superb jazz score, and a relatively coherent and continuous narrative.
Rosenbaum…

Jean-Luc Godard’s gritty and engaging first feature had an almost revolutionary impact when first released in 1960. It lays down most of the Godardian repertoire that the later films would build upon: … Less characteristic of Godard’s later work are the superb jazz score (by French pianist Martial Solal), a relatively coherent and continuous narrative, and postsynchronized dialogue.
http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/?p=9358

Like Sans Soleil, Marker’s 1983 film, La Jetée speaks to issues around time and memory, but this film is much more accessible—and thrilling. The bittersweet music, the narrator’s steady voice that sounds like a scientist’s, the museum-quality photos, and the gripping plot all make “La Jetée” an inimitable experience.
Taken word for word from the bottom of this article - http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article...ay-2548335.php

That’s a few from the first few films of your list, so I skipped to the end of the list to check stuff…

The number #1 film…

Tati’s studio-constructed vision of Paris begins in daytime with nightmarishly regimented straight lines and right angles and proceeds to night with accidental yet celebratory curves of people instinctively coming together.
Can be found here http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...lm?oid=1149946

A Man Escaped the number #5 film…

The best of all prison-escape movies, it reconstructs the very notion of freedom through offscreen sounds and defines salvation in terms of painstakingly patient and meticulous effort. Bresson himself spent part of the war in an internment camp and subsequently lived through the German occupation of France, experiences that inform his magisterial grasp of what the concentrated use of sound and image can reveal about souls in hiding.
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...lm?oid=1054797

That would explain why I hate so many of the films on this list. It'd also be a good reason for my my eyes often glazed over when reading 'his' thoughts on the films. Critics often do that to me.

Yeah, that's lazy to copy and paste instead of giving your own impression of the films. I copied and paste some stuff but I always cited them in my posts.

Right, I have always got on with you before but I have a lot of questions now. Straight up, are these your top 50 films or are they Jonathan Rosenbaums'? Simply I want an answer as to why you feel the need to steal from other people's work in an attempt to come across as some type of critic?
I guess he quoted him without saying so when talking about his favorite movies but I think these are really his favorite movies.

Daniel M had a nice sense of smell to notice that some sections of the comments could have come from other sources.
Thank Skepsis too, he alerted me to a potential problem recently and only confirmed by suspicions that something wasn't right. Unfortunately this thread is only a small example of some of the effort that has gone into coming across as a critic, there are much greater examples of this too, unfortunately.

This is a shame, because I did like Thomas, but I really, really hate people who steal other peoples work and pass it off on their own. It's not fair, illegal and also gives people an unfair advantage other those who genuinely put effort into writing their own stuff. I don't want this to come across as a personal attack, but I feel you guys have a right to know about this when we are all commenting, discussing and giving rep for his work, it feels like I have been cheated and I am honestly disgusted at some of the stuff I have seen.

Update: this user has been banned for plagiarism. When confronted we offered him, as we often do in this sort of situation, the opportunity to admit the mistake and move on. He was good enough to do that, but was apparently unwilling to stop.