The Best Action Movie of all Time?

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
What do you think the best action movie of all time is? I'm not talking best as in, its so well made etc..., I'm talking the coolest, most entertaing movie of all time? I'm going to say either Mortal Kombat, Blade, or Starship Troopers. Also What would be the coolest fight scene ever?

I can't say that something like Blade, MK or Starship Troopers can be named the greatest ever - I consider them "cool," but not too much more.

I think it depends on what you mean by action. Terminator is good, but is probably more bloody/sci-fi than action. If you're talking pure action, at least one of Jackie Chan's movies has to be up there.

Here's my list:

- Best Comedy: Duck Soup
- Best Adventure: Star Wars (you just want to be part of it...you wish it were real...the music gets you going)
- Best Sci-Fi: Either The Matrix or Terminator
- Best Horror: Alien/Maybe Jaws.
- Best Drama: Braveheart
- Best Action: Hard to say...maybe Indiana Jones.

So hard to say - I'm sure I can think of better choices if I sat around wasting time long enough.

Everyone: post your favorites here! My guess is this is the kind of thing where almost EVERYONE will have seperate answers from everyone else's.

Didn't see it.
Chris, I like your list. For action, I like:

Comedy: Arsenic and Old Lace
Adventure: Not sure how this is different from action
Sci-Fi: Terminator
Horror: The Shining
Drama: The Patriot (Comes out on 10/24 on DVD)
Action: First Strike (Jackie Chan)

- Best Comedy: (something I can watch over and over and still laugh at) Dumb and Dumber
- Best Adventure: Indiana Jones
- Best Sci-Fi: Terminator 2:Judgement Day
- Best Sci-Fi Horror: Aliens
- Best Drama: Forrest Gump
- Best Action: Diehard
- Best B Movie: They Nest
- Best Fighting Movie: Jet Li's Fist of Legend
- Best Shoot-em-up: Starship Troopers
- Best All around cool movie: Blade or T2 or the above
- Best Suspense: Ravenous
- Best Thriller: The Silence of the Lambs
- Best Scary Movie: House on Haunted Hill

I don't really like many Jackie Chan movies, they use way to many stunts and camera angles. Jet Li movies are where its at. With the exception of Romeo Must Die. Boo-hiss.. I think an action movie is anything with terrorists, or people getting killed for some reason. Hmmm, My list is considerably longer then others.

Oh and coolest Fight Scene is the scene between the two main characters at the end of Ravenous. Oh man is it savage.

Originally posted by jamesglewisf
Chris, I like your list. For action, I like:

Comedy: Arsenic and Old Lace
Adventure: Not sure how this is different from action
Sci-Fi: Terminator
Horror: The Shining
Drama: The Patriot (Comes out on 10/24 on DVD)
Action: First Strike (Jackie Chan)
I think the difference between action and adventure is fairly self explanatory...IE: Star Wars has some action, but is more story than action...it's adventure. I think Indiana Jones was a poor action choice on my part - definetly an adventure movie.

Mission Impossible 1 was a good movie, but I don't know if it qualifies in any of the aforementioned categories...

Fight scene, eh? That's a tough one. The Darth Maul/Qui Gon/Obi-Wan fight was pretty dang cool. The Matrix, though, beats the crap out of that scene.

first thing that comes to mind is Die Hard

followed by:

The Rock
Mummy Returns
Terminator 2

Goldfinger. No doubt about it.

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
Well I really liked True Lies...
I did like the opening .

Can we try with real bullets now?
Point Break-A lot of people dislike this movie, but the scene where Keanu Reeves yells "F*** on!" and jumps out of an airplane without a parachute defines over the top action.

Originally Posted by OG-
What do you think the best action movie of all time is? I'm not talking best as in, its so well made etc..., I'm talking the coolest, most entertaing movie of all time? I'm going to say either Mortal Kombat, Blade, or Starship Troopers.
Gosh, I hope OG- sees this thread that has resurfaced and checks out his embarassing choices. He grow'd up a bit since then.

A bit, anyway.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Aliens
When I think of action, I think of James Cameron’s Aliens. Not only is the terrifyingly claustrophobic tale given a new look, but it’s given steroids in the form of hundreds of mean, lean, acid dripping machines. In the original Alien, we’re introduced to a creature that is damn near unstoppable until in tries to match wits with celluloid’s greatest heroine. What can we expect from Ripley that she hasn’t already done? What can possibly motivate her any more that her own life? Ah, yes. Make her a mommy.

The bitch may be back, but she’s met her match. Aliens is my favorite action film. There’s no other film that thrills me like this one does…and it his has Bill Paxton at his most quotable. What more can ya’ want?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

hmm ... when I think of action, I think of a long extended video. So here's what immediately come to mind:

Kill Bill
Star Wars
Bourne Supremacy
Raiders of the Lost Ark
T2

... and since it's on this thread, Aliens

Gotta be Die Hard all the way for me

Eating you Since 1984
hands down Terminator 2

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Gosh, I hope OG- sees this thread that has resurfaced and checks out his embarassing choices. He grow'd up a bit since then.

A bit, anyway.
Sad.

Terminator 2 and Die Hard are tied for me

We can't stop here!
Matrix and Star Wars movies should stay out of Action. Star Wars is Sci Fi, Matrix is complete trash. Sorry, I just hate the Matrix crap.

T2 has got to be the best Action movie. It helped set the stabdard for most Action movies today.

Best adventurous action movies are the LOTR movies though.