Favorite "Inside The Actors Studio"?

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Just curious if anyone has a favorite 'episode' of "Inside the Actor's Studio"?

I haven't watched it religiously, but usually tune into it when I see that it's on, so I can't really declare a favorite. As of right now I'm pretty partial to Mark Wahlberg's as I do have more respect for him after seeing how sincere he was during his visit to the studio.

So does anyone have any favorites? Or does anyone have any ones that just made them hate the actor? Favorite moments? Hate it entirely?

I hate the host and the dumbed-down format, I refuse to watch the flippin' thing anymore, no matter who is the guest. That show has so much potential, and it's such an utter waste 95% of the time.

But if I had to pick a couple favorites, the Christopher Walken, Martin Short and Gene Wilder episodes were pretty good, becuase they were forceful enough personalitites and amusing enough on their own to be interesting despite the show and its host.

And as for the side topic of Lipton impressions which is sure to arise, David Cross' from his stand-up and "Mr. Show with Bob & David" blows Will Ferrell's away.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Viddy well little brother
I actually do oddly enough. I saw the one with the Simpsons cast recently enough. That was class. It was so cool to see them do the voices there on stage. Lipton actually questioned each of the Characters individually. Very cool.

Originally Posted by Outlaw2x4
I actually do oddly enough. I saw the one with the Simpsons cast recently enough. That was class. It was so cool to see them do the voices there on stage. Lipton actually questioned each of the Characters individually. Very cool.
That episode was pretty lame. They should have had ten of the show's writers, because apart from Harry Shearer and Dan Castellaneta who actually are trained writers and improvisers, the rest of the cast members weren't, and it showed. And that Julie Kavner was so weird and protective and wouldn't allow herself to be filmed while doing Marge or the sisters was just dumb. I lost respect for the woman. Where was Groening. Where was James L. Brooks? Where was Sam Simon? Those are the people he should have been interviewing.

But glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
That episode was pretty lame. They should have had ten of the show's writers, because apart from Harry Shearer and Dan Castellaneta who actually are trained writers and improvisers, the rest of the cast members weren't, and it showed. And that Julie Kavner was so weird and protective and wouldn't allow herself to be filmed while doing Marge or the sisters was just dumb. I lost respect for the woman. Where was Groening. Where was James L. Brooks? Where was Sam Simon? Those are the people he should have been interviewing.

But glad you liked it.
That is a very good point. However I feel the simpsons has gone so down hill in the last few years that I really dont want to listen to the writers. Get Matt Groening to talk about Futurama. Now thats what I'd really like to see.

Originally Posted by Outlaw2x4
That is a very good point. However I feel the simpsons has gone so down hill in the last few years that I really dont want to listen to the writers. Get Matt Groening to talk about Futurama. Now thats what I'd really like to see.
They could have interviewed some of the best talents to have ever been on staff, not just current writers.

James Lipton is awful, a pretentious bore, and watching him skewered by David Cross and Will Ferrell is the only thing that makes his presence in pop culture at all acceptible. And what tough questions he poses, such as "How important is listening in acting?", a Larry King softball if there ever was one (Gee, it's not at all important. In fact, I'm not listening to you now).

The actual interviews are cut awkwardly most times for broadcast. If they're gonna air 'em, air the full two or three hour session unedited, not forty-some minutes (Bravo in general has gone downhill since NBC bought 'em and they became a commercial channel) of "highlights" consisting of stories and anecdotes even the most casual fan of that actor will know by heart. I know ostensibly these are "classes" for the students, but the Q&A involving them at the end is unbearable ("Hi, I think I'm important, and I'm on the acting track...").

These "classes" are anywhere from two to three hours (or more!) in length, depending on the guest. After you subtract the commercials, the aired version is about forty-four minutes. They discuss virtually every piece of work the guest has done, but not by the time it gets to TV. Pay attention the next time you watch one of these. They spend the first ten to fiteen minutes on biography: who were their folks, where are they from, what was their early education etc. The last ten to fifteen minutes are the questionaire and talk with the students. I'm no good at math, but how long then does that leave to discuss the work? Now figure three to five minutes discussing each project, director, co-star, whatever, plus stage work if applicable. That's why they seem to "jump" over career highlights.

For example, when Harrison Ford was there that night, they talked about all of his substantial roles. Yet when you see it on TV, you get all the same old actor-who-gave-up-and-became-self-taught-carpenter stuff ("I thought you were supposed to say, 'THAT's a delivery boy'" - can't hear that story enough), then a bit about American Graffiti, then a little about Star Wars in general, then two seconds on Indiana Jones in general, then Witness, The Mosquito Coast, Presumed Innocent, a little on Working Girl, Regarding Henry, another brief general talk about Jack Ryan, and wrap it up with The Fugitive. Then the career talk is basically done, and they talk about piloting light aircraft for seven minutes before the questionaire.

But, when Ford was there they also talked about each Star Wars film individually, the Indy flicks with many more specifics, BladeRunner, Apocalypse Now, The Conversation, Frantic....all of them, and more than just one question and possibly one follow-up for each, but spending ten minutes plus on each flick.

So when they have a "big" guest (DeNiro, Scorsese, Spielberg) and expand the format to two hours (minus commercials), you're still only getting less than a third of what happened that night. Plus they talk even longer to Scorsese than Ben Affleck anyway (as you'd hope), so an hour and a half of a four hour evening is still damn little.

That they then choose to broadcast DeNiro begrudgingly explaining about gaining weight for Raging Bull or improvising "You talkin' to me", when this is material that has been covered ad nauseum for decades now, is really a waste of time. I want to hear what Bobby has to say about Hi, Mom! and Brazil and Midnight Run and Sergio Leone and Elia Kazan, not (for the umpteenth time) how much pasta he ate in Italy so he could be the fat LaMotta (guess what: it was a lot). What kills me is that they do talk about Leone and Kazan and Angel Heart and New York, New York, but instead of that we have to endure the "How important is listening" horsecrap and asking if the tattoos in Cape Fear were his idea.

They often tease bits of the editied-out conversation in the commercials (rememebr the Ford commericals where he's asking if C-3P0 "is the gold one, right?"), but come show time they're nowhere to be found.

I'm positive I could go into the editing bay and come out with an infinitely more interesting television program from those taped evenings. But they just plain dumb it all down for Bravo, hit the five or seven biggest hits of the career (if there even are that many, which is a stretch when you've got Helen Hunt or Billy Bob Thornton in the chair), ask the questions we all know the answers to already, and just coast with a dull program.

Sometimes the guest is so good they shine above the stilted forumla, but all too rarely.

That these sessions ar done with "talents" like Ben Affleck is just plain wrong.

I guess you're right, I dont watch the show enough considering it's only on Performance during the day while I'm not around, so I dont have any grounds to put forward an argument.
A funny story from it though was when Jack Lemmon told James Lipton that he was an alcoholic. Lipton just stared, completly taken aback, then changed the subject. Hilarious!

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I can honestly say I think the best "Inside the Actor's Studio" are the SNL skits with Will Ferell. Those are great.

"I can barely move..." Ah, that's classic...

Unfortuatley I dont get SNL over here so I've never seen them.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I did an imdb on Jampes Lipton just to see what exactly he had been in (other than the occasional Conan walk on and "Arrested Development') and was shocked to learn he was born in 1926. That man is 78 years old? Maybe I'm just bad at judging people's ages, but I would have never guessed...

Anyways...

Holden, are there any good explorations of actors or directors that make regular TV? I occasionally catch those Starz entries about directors (and once editors) that aren't too shabby, but are there more programs out there that I'd be unaware of? Does the IFC have good coverage? I won't get into the politics of my apartment building, but my cable package is pretty lacking, as per my interests, so I was wondering what I'm missing out on...

I enjoyed the Jhonny Depp episode. He just casually sad their with his cigarette in hand and just kind of "hung out". He rocks.

Note: Smoking causes cancer.

the Robin Williams or James Gandolfini ones are my favorites. I love the moment when Jack Lemmon said he was an alchoholic as well.
And found he was eating his shoe.

I watch it always!
Ive only been watching it for a bout a year though.
It comes on on Sundayes here...

Anyhoo...
my favorites so far...

Robin Williams~ I laughed so hard I nearly p'd my pants!

Clint Eastwood~ I found to be very informative and educational.

Jamie Foxx~ I was entertained and then I cried. I hadnt cared to much for him until I saw his episode, and it made me go straight to the movies and see Ray.
I love him now.

anyhoo excellant post OG!
If I hadnt seen him on that show, I probably wouldve missed out on 'Ray'.

film making extraordinaire
Has anyone ever seen the SNL where norm mcdonald plays clint eastwood in the inside the actors studio. One of the best SNL skits ever done.

Bad Morther****er
Does what Will Ferrell used to do on SNL count?
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

There's an episode of Inside the Actor's Studio with Edward Norton which i've really wanted to see but they never air it. They're too busy airing Tom Cruise and Ben Affleck a trillion times.

While reading all the posts I am thinking to myself what show is this and who is Lipton. when I saw a picture of him I remembered I saw a bit of one episode with him interviewing Mike Myers, I remember thinking who is this guy the questions he was asking Mike were really dumb.