The MoFo Top Film Noir Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Just a note, I presume many use IMDB search by genre...
Key Largo (1948) is not marked as Film-Noir there but Wikipedia says it is.

It's listed as Film-Noir in the middle of the IMDb page between the Taglines and Certificate sections.

I'm not sure if I follow what you are saying? Can you elaborate?

What if someone wants to vote for a movie that can't be found online except in color? Since color's allowed anyway, it doesn't really matter, though.

What if someone wants to vote for a movie that can't be found online except in color? Since color's allowed anyway, it doesn't really matter, though.
Yeah it wouldn't matter. Though personally I wouldn't watch any of those YouTube colorized versions, ugh.

Just lie.

This sight has links to numerous Film noir movies. Many on our watch list and many that are not.
Thanks Diehl! Some good noirs on there, many that are not well known. Two of them I had previously nominated in an HoF Detective Story (1951) and Picture Snatcher (1933). Obviously Picture Snatcher doesn't qualify for the countdown....BUT if we ever do a Pre Hays Code Countdown then that movie is aces!

Here's some films which will be in contention of making my ballot:

Ace in the Hole (1951)
The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
The Bigamist (1953)
The Big Sleep (1946)
The Big Heat (1953)
Crossfire (1947)
The Fallen Idol (1948)
Gun Crazy (1950)
The Killers (1946)
The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
The Lost Weekend (1945)
Mildred Pierce (1945)
Murder, My Sweet (1944)
Notorious (1946)
Odd Man Out (1947)
The Phenix City Story (1955)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
Rebecca (1940)
The Stranger (1946)
Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
They Live By Night (1948)
The Third Man (1949)

Great list. I've seen Rebecca listed as noir here and there, but I've never thought of it as such, I dunno. Same with The Bigamist.

I won't be voting for Rebecca as I don't feel it's noir enough for the place, but I have to say that Rebecca is better than any noir movie I've seen so far.

Great list. I've seen Rebecca listed as noir here and there, but I've never thought of it as such, I dunno. Same with The Bigamist.
IMDb lists both as noir, so I'll likely just go off of that when assembling my list.

Also, thanks to CR for focusing the list on film noir and not on noir in general. That way, neo noir films won't dominate the list.

This also creates the possibility that, in the event that later we do a combo list, that we'll have plenty of people already having healthy experience in classic noir to help match it.

Good list.
But…..All the Kings Men? That’s considered noir? Didn’t seem like it to
me.
You're right. ATKM is not a noir. The tendency for many classifiers is to consider any black and white crime film from the '40s is a noir. That's way off. "King's Men" is a semi-biographical political drama. Good film, but not a noir.

Just a note, I presume many use IMDB search by genre...
Key Largo (1948) is not marked as Film-Noir there but Wikipedia says it is.
No, I can't see it as a noir. Really good landmark film, especially for Bogart, but it has no noir elements. Just a good crime film.

I just updated the second post with some very useful noir links that you guys mentioned....Take a look at some of those. There's podcast, book list, youtube noir movie links, specific kind of noir movie links and a link or two for online sites about noir movies and the nature of noir.

No, I can't see it as a noir. Really good landmark film, especially for Bogart, but it has no noir elements. Just a good crime film.

You really can't trust wikipedia with tagging. They'll take any mistag that's popular among would-be movie buffs who really just watch what's cool. It's like people calling ACDC hair metal.

The most shocking inclusion on that list was #97 Party Girl (1958) I watched that last Noirvemeber as I wanted to see all the color film noirs that were made. It's a damn good movie too but I didn't think anyone had seen it but me But I'm sure no one else will ever watch it.

The most shocking inclusion on that list was #97 Party Girl (1958) I watched that last Noirvemeber as I wanted to see all the color film noirs that were made. It's a damn good movie too but I didn't think anyone had seen it but me But I'm sure no one else will ever watch it.
I've seen Party Girl. I don't remember much about it and only rated it a 6/10 though.

Yikes So how many noirs have you watched totally?
Going based on imdb's classification, I have seen 203 films tagged as film noir that were released between 1940-1959. How many have you seen?