MoFo Top 100 Movies, Part III

→ in
Tools    

any rough idea as to when this might start? sorry, but I am a bit of an antsy person. I'll try my best to behave.
I asked this question about 10 posts ago on this thread.

I'm shooting for the number that is everybody that wants to turn in a list. The three I mentioned above are members that I think are going to turn in a list, and maybe get a couple of others after the recent bump.

I think it's a bit Indefinite. who knows could be next week could be three months from now. I do rather like your idea of tagging this onto the movie lists. Maybe yodi would be the one to talk to about such a thing.

Aye. I think that's the ultimate goal, but I'd probably want to wait for another incarnation in the near future if and when we can get more people to participate. If we can come up with a really full-proof selection process and a method to make it as convenient as possible for everyone, we could probably put something pretty representative together.

Aye. I think that's the ultimate goal, but I'd probably want to wait for another incarnation in the near future if and when we can get more people to participate. If we can come up with a really full-proof selection process and a method to make it as convenient as possible for everyone, we could probably put something pretty representative together.
Why not try to do it with this one or at least iron out some of the kinks your talking about. you know inter-ject some of those ideas into the mkaing of this list such as making it as convenient as possible, making it more full proof and generally getting more people to particapate.

I have one idea maybe its good maybe it bad. what if we only give a top ten like sight and sound plus we don't even have to ask people because most people have already made there top ten in the favourite films list as part of the site. that could be are poll so to speak. then we could go after the ones that haven't made such a list which would cut down on the work and ultimately give us a higher Participation.

Well, mainly because this is pretty far along, and making it more convenient in a meaningful way would take some significant time and effort. For example, prompting all users at least once when they visit to fill something out. Maybe a weekly nudge/reminder.

What you're saying about Favorite Movies is exactly where I was going with this. At some point it's worth sitting down and hammering out a decent formula wherein we combine Favorite Movies lists and combine those with submitted lists (probably giving the latter a bit more weight). Even that involves a lot of work, though; I've looked at the unfiltered list of most-mentioned movies in the Favorite Movies list, and it's terrible because it includes lots of movies (like, 300) that are popular among 14-year-olds who stop by, add their favorites, post a few times and then never come back.

The compiled list gets a bit better if we require a minimum number of posts, but it's still a little sketchy.

So, mainly it's about finding the time to do the extra work on my end and making decisions that everyone can live with, though the latter is probably impossible. Might have to wield a little dictatorial decision-making power in regards to the specifics of any formula.

I liked it, but c'mon, on someone's top ten of all time?

Anyway, love it or hate it, I think we can all agree it shouldn't be, like, 3rd on an all-time best list, which is where it would be if we counted all favorites lists on the site without screening out people who don't have any posts.

I actually want to start too get this thing wrapped up, at least for the lists so I can have the finished list by mid-April or maybe sooner.

Classicqueen told me she would sent it to me this week.
So Sedai and mikeython1, I am looking at you.

Thanks classicqueen13!

Lists Received:

Caitlyn
michaelcorleone
SoulInside
mark f
Thursday Next
Powdered Water
Harry Lime
L.B. Jefferies
Plainview
Iroquois
TheDOMINATOR
TheMightyCelestial
WBadger
TheUsualSuspect
Project Steel
Christine
Mrs. Darcy
meatwadsprite
Monkeypunch
Tacitus
Yoda
Miss Vicky
FILMFREAK087
adepter
darkrose
uconjack
Golgot
Aniko
rauldc14
honeykid
Classicqueen13

What's number 1 Yoda ?
Depends on what I use as the post total cutoff. There is one that's #1 in most of the more reasonable cutoffs, though...but it wouldn't be much fun if I told you what it was.

Then again, it might take long enough to get some kind of blended list together to make it worthwhile to put up some kind of Favorite Lists page with some composite totals on it. Hmm...anyone care to yay or nay the idea? Should we wait until we're ready to do something a bit more thorough or get something up sooner and just modify it as we go?

Well, since you guessed: dingdingding. Not in all incarnations, but in a lot of the lower post cutoffs, yeah.

However, that's just total mentions; it's not weighted for rank or anything, which it probably would/should be in anything comprehensive. There's actually quite a few decisions to be made as to how to produce the best results.

WBadger's got over 30 responses, so maybe this is worth stretching out, trying to get that number higher, and doing all this a bit sooner than I'd planned...

I bailed because I couldn't honestly say which movies were my favorites 1-25. I love some movies just as much as the others. Plus, it's not like everyone will name the same films, so I assumed it was going to get totaled up like the list that I made. The 100 horror movies. They were judged by how many times each film was mentioned. They were listed in that order. The least mentioned films were of course dropped off the list, once 100 films were named. Because I did them that way, it seemed rather pointless having each member put them in any specific order. Well, until the end, when we needed the tiebreakers.