Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland"

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, since I finally got around to watching Avatar in 3-D today, I was quite impressed by the 3-D trailer of this. It looked like the best 3-D ever to me.

Yup, the 3D trailer in 3D impressed me too, even though I had seen it and the teaser in non-3D and thought it looked terrible.

I have a feeling this will be best in 3D, baby.

CGI mimiks stop animation.

Very pretty. May be fun.

But is it "film"?

Originally Posted by GodsOtherMonkey

But is it "film"?
Film can be referenced in many ways as an art form. Although this isn't Amelie', Tempest or The Dirty Dozen...Tim Burton does know how to produce a visual classic.

Tim Burton does know how to produce a visual classic.
Really? Care to name one?

I'd agree that he has a distinctive style and that his films are stylistically heavy, but I'm not sure that I'd claim any of them to be visual 'classics'.

I love Ed Wood. But B&W is forgiving.

I don't count Tim out, but always think (after seeing one of his films) the guy needs help. Maybe he has too much control.

This looks interesting, the more I see of it. I like the way Helena Bonham Carter looks. Interesting. Far more interesting than say, Avatar.

But much of the design is sooooo cartoony, I don't know how much of it I could take. But thats just me.

There sure are a bunch of expensive quasi animated movies coming out. Too much money for what it does (CGI) - but then the people who have the money to create good CG also have a ton of money to buy advertising and critics. None of these films are serious film. They are all B-movie kid films, that sadly are now also adult entertainment; not that I don't love cheesy B-movies, I just know them for what they are.

And this is not to say that I do not look forward to, say, Clash Of The Titans (for instance). I love Greek myth and think it is important. Of course, we will get Hollywood crap myth and not Greek myth, but what the hey. I do not consider it serious film, however. Nor do I consider the original COTT serious film. It was an FX novelty and a camp B movie with a couple of good actors in minor roles. Just like the new one.

Alice In Wonderland looks really nice, though. Very pretty. Cool art - I like the backdrops more than many of the individual characters.

It should make Disney a bunch of money.

UK cinemas to boycott Alice in Wonderland?

Those who currently reside in the UK may want to wait a while before pre-ordering your tickets for Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland.

According to The Guardian UK cinema chains Odeon, Vue and Cineworld (who combined represent 95% of UK 3D screens) may boycott the film because of a dispute with Disney over the release window. DVD sales are falling, and have been for a number of years. Studios are trying to find ways to boost sales, and Disney has decided to reduce the DVD release for Alice in Wonderland from 17 weeks to 12. They say that they make 97% of their total box office in the first 8 weeks, so making consumers wait another two months before they can buy the DVD legitimately just presents the pirates with an “exclusive window.”

The cinema chains on the other hand say that bringing forward the DVD release will reduce the audience appetite to see films on the big screen, which could lead to cinema closures. The Guardian says that Disney’s distribution chiefs, Bob Chapek and Chuck Viane, have flown to the UK to talk to British exhibitors over the next couple of days in an attempt to secure a release. Alice in Wonderland is projected to make £40 million ($62 million) in the UK, so it would be in Disney’s interests to make sure audiences can see it on March 3rd.

The funny thing is that if the situation cannot be resolved then UK moviegoers who wanted to see Alice in Wonderland may turn to piracy, so Disney’s efforts to reduce it will only backfire. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Source: Filmonic

The UK cinemas don't have a leg to stand on. If they boycott this film they lose tens of millions in revenue.

Yeah, love Tim Burton's visual style - looks especially weird and cool in this. Don't think these were posted yet, but you should check out the character progression pics of Tweedledee & Tweedledum, the Dodo, White Rabbit and my personal fave - the Cheshire Cat. It's really cool to see how the characters came to life from Tim Burton's sketches!

Saw a TV ad for this movie the other night--looked even darker and more disturbing than the original book, which is reason enough for me to pass it by. Doing it in 3D is just overkill.

I watched the fan event but it was awful.
I feel like I was tricked into listening bad music for an hour and a half

I caught some of the fan event and am catching up on the parts I missed. I liked the interviews with everyone - nice that most of the cast was there, at least the big players! And it sounded crazy. I heard that some people got to catch a screening too - how lucky!