Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

Kind of surprised you didn't like it a lot to be honest. Thought for sure you would have. Oh well.
Me too, I was thinking it was Sean's type of movie because of the dialogue between Bacall and Bogie. Sean did you at least like the chemistry between B & B?

Me too, I was thinking it was Sean's type of movie because of the dialogue between Bacall and Bogie. Sean did you at least like the chemistry between B & B?
Yeah, I did. I don't know if I am the biggest Bad all fan though. Definitely don't dislike her though. Her style is more suited to Big Sleep for sure. I like that film a whole lot.

Yeah, I did. I don't know if I am the biggest Bad all fan though. Definitely don't dislike her though. Her style is more suited to Big Sleep for sure. I like that film a whole lot.
I'm a bit luke warm on Bacall too, with the exception being her films with Bogart. I mean I like her, but she's not usually a big stand out.

I haven't rewatched To Have and Have Not, but I remember not being into the actual story nearly as much, as I was to the onscreen chemistry, which sizzled. I dug that.

I might have said this already, but Hawks was friends with Hemingway and they were discussing movies made from Hemingway's stories. And Hawks tells him, he could make a great movie out of Hemingway's worst story, To Have and Have Not. I always thought that was kind of funny.

Scarface (1932)

I liked it...I wasn't blown away by it, but I did appreciate it, especially for it's place in film history. I try to judge films by the standards of the day, and I can image that the audiences in 1932 were blown away when they first seen Scarface.

The realistic violence in the film is like nothing I've seen in 1930s movies. After the Hays Office enforced the Production Codes, such violent scenes would be parred down....I mean there's bodies flying right and left! They really go at it!

The death scene of Scarface's secretary Angelo (
Vince Barnett), was especially brutal for the day and well done too! Old movies don't usually show someone suffering from a gun shot wound, not at least for extended amount of time. Angelo's scene was touching in how he kept trying to do his duty by locking the front door and attempting to answer the phone as he was dying. I thought that was pretty great scene.

I know the acting seems to be caricaturization instead of more natural acting, but this is a film from the early days of sound. It was released in early 1932, and, it was held for a year after production was wrapped to try and pass the New York censors. As Mark pointed out in his post, they went back and shot an alternative ending and added in the disclaimer about gangs and governments in the title credits. So...for a film made in 1931 it's understandable that the actors would perform a broader style as if they were still on the stage, as sound films were still new. And the actors were more use to stage work.

I know that Paul Muni is an accomplished actor and was nominated six times for Best Actor and won once. But he was a bit plodding in his role here and I had a hard time understanding his words. Still I like him.

I think Ann Dvorak was my favorite, I've liked her in other 30s films. I'm not familiar with the actress who played Poppy (Karen Morley) she was pretty enough and had a hard edge to her that was believable for a gun moll.

It's impressive that so many different set ups (shooting locations) were used. It made the film feel big, and lots of early 30s films hunker down in just a few spots and don't do world building.

I'm not sure what to rate this as? I did appreciate it more than I was moved by it, I guess I would go with a

I'm glad this was picked, it's been a long time and was well worth a rewatch
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	scarface-1932-07.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	37175  

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
So we feel near the same I guess Citizen.

So I'm an idiot and nominated a film that I'm having a hard time finding. You guys know where I can get ahold of The Big Sky. I'm really looking forward to it too.

So we feel near the same I guess Citizen.

So I'm an idiot and nominated a film that I'm having a hard time finding. You guys know where I can get ahold of The Big Sky. I'm really looking forward to it too.
You too? I can't find The Big Sky either. I was getting a bit worried about finding it and thought I would ask you for help...But I do know a few more places to try and look for it. I'll PM you when I get a chance, hopefully today.

Oh...I posted that Scarface review before I proof read it, I swear I'm not that bad of a speller! It read like crap, and I so I just edited it and added more stuff. (I should learn to use the preview button)

You too? I can't find The Big Sky either. I was getting a bit worried about finding it and thought I would ask you for help...But I do know a few more places to try and look for it. I'll PM you when I get a chance, hopefully today.

Oh...I posted that Scarface review before I proof read it, I swear I'm not that bad of a speller! It read like crap, and I so I just edited it and added more stuff. (I should learn to use the preview button)
If you find let me know, I really do want to watch it. If we can't find it I can change my nomination, but I would honestly rather find it.

Oh...one more thing about Scarface, I kept waiting for Edward G Robinson to show up....I was sure this was the movie where he plays Rico. Then about half way through I realized he was in Little Caesar. Anybody ever see that?

Oh...one more thing about Scarface, I kept waiting for Edward G Robinson to show up....I was sure this was the movie where he plays Rico. Then about half way through I realized he was in Little Caesar. Anybody ever see that?
I haven't seen it. It will be on my watchlist though.

Then about half way through I realized he was in Little Caesar. Anybody ever see that?
I had actually never heard of that, looks good. Can i ask if Douglas Fairbanks plays the boss?

I had actually never heard of that, looks good. Can i ask if Douglas Fairbanks plays the boss?
Geez, I don't remember that, it's been at least a decade since I seen it. All I remember is Edward G Robinson was very memorable.

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

Well blow me over! I actually liked this, the fourth time around. I guess familiarity breed the warm-fuzzies.

I watched this way back when I first was getting into films, my wife said it was funny, but I didn't like it. The second time was in the 11th HoF when Camo nominated it. I could see it was an important film but both characters annoyed the hell out of me. A few days later I watched the commentary track with Peter Bogdanovich. That made the difference, as listening to Peter who knew Howard Hawks, made me appreciate it all the more.

So last night was the fourth watch and instead of being annoyed by Katherine Hepburn, I found her charming. I love the way she speaks in this, her voice is so melodically, it's like listening to music. She's also quite good and so lively. I loved the scene where she's speaking like a million words a minute, trying to explain to David (Grant). Loved the jail scene where she pretends to be a gun moll. Ha, too funny.

I liked Cary Grant too, previously I though he was so nerdy as to be ridiculous, but this time around it worked for me. He does 'getting annoyed' so well in this film!

I liked how at the start his fiance Miss Swallow (ha!) tells him they won't be having a physical marriage, that it will be all about his work and the honeymoon isn't going to happen! Yikes! Yup, it's time for David to dump her and give in to Susan's pesterious advances.

The leopard was great like a big kitty...And hot damn, Kate is actually right there with him. I heard that Grant on the other had was scared of the leopard so they used a sheet of glass between them or rear projection. But Kate is fearless!

++
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	bringing-up-baby.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	37257  

I'm glad you liked it more the 4th time Citizen. I've now seen it 3 times.

The Big Sky is being watched next by me. As in the next couple minutes!

I'm glad you liked it more the 4th time Citizen. I've now seen it 3 times.

The Big Sky is being watched next by me. As in the next couple minutes!
Watched it last night. Hope you enjoy more than I did.

I see you guys are already done watching the 6 films. Wow, this went by fast. Does it always go this fast, or does it just seem that way to me?

I will watch The Big Sky tonight, and then make every effort to watch To Have and Have Not the next day or possible it might have to be the day after that.

I see you guys are already done watching the 6 films. Wow, this went by fast. Does it always go this fast, or does it just seem that way to me?

I will watch The Big Sky tonight, and then make every effort to watch To Have and Have Not the next day or possible it might have to be the day after that.
I took forever with the Coens so I wanted to make a good effort to finish in a more reasonable time.